Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
lastly, I find your brushing off Wiz 4 as "very original but... (unimportant due to lack of) engine advancement" to be quite telling.

Wiz 4 is inarguably the most geniusly designed Wizardry game of all time and its maps (which are 20x20...) are without a doubt the very best designed maps a player will find in any of these types of games.

The fact that you place more importance on "engine stuff" tells me that we appreciate completely opposite things. I could care less about a talking NPC that tells me to find a flute down a well which is stolen by a ghost and then etc--

--no, I much rather experience the brilliance of playing thru a map like "The Ziggurat" in Wiz 4, or the mind-blowing experience one can attain when doing Wiz 4's "true ending" playthrough, which literally ends with the game breaking the 4th wall and taking the player along for a kabbalistic ride to the tree of life and beyond... all the way to under a tree, a tree whose shade makes the game's protagonist ponder what the meaning of playing a game like this means in both in-game conception and also the pondering of man and the divine.

But, yeah, you're right, the lack of engine improvements in Wiz 4 automatically mean it is inferior to Bradley's later output. My bad.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I have never claimed Wizardry IV is inferior, or that isn't a work of genius. I said it uses the old engine (accordingly altered), which is a fact. Actually, I believe you were the one getting argumentative there and putting words in my mouth :D

Nor I said engine changes were more important than design or originality! I just said it was not an overhaul engine-wise, as evidence of what was going on with the engine development at Sir-tech. I thought we were talking about that? You claimed the technical innovations were coming from the already existing team, I pointed out that, tech-wise, they were stagnant. This is painfully evident in Wiz 2 and 3, and with 4 going so terribly delayed (4 years, I think?) it feels to me as if they had lost the ability to evolve the engine themselves in an efficient way.

I also brought as much evidence as I could find about Wizardry V being mostly Bradley's creation. If there're alternative versions from others claiming to be the ones behind Wizardry 5 innovations or content, I'd love to read them, and I say it without irony.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, trying to even establish a comparison between Wizardry IV and any other Wizardry is silly. It is entirely different, as you pointed out, so I completely ignore it when the evolution of the Wizardry series is the subject. You can objectively compare III, V and VI and decide which features or content or mechanics you like more, which ones were good to remove and which weren't. Wiz IV is its own genre, really.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i would only want to point to a disturbing discovery:

if you take "david b val" and rearrange a few letters, you get "david v bal", and "v" is almost like "w" which gives some suspiciously familiar D.W.B. initials

now i'm not saying it was aliens but

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this being the codex i would not be surprised if bradley himself had an account. i mean

fuck

we made Grimoire happen.

we made it happen.

codex is like wormhole that connects two infinite taints

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

if you take "david b val" and rearrange a few letters, you get "david v bal", and "v" is almost like "w" which gives some suspiciously familiar D.W.B. initials

Ridiculous. Also, check out this wonderful game!
David BVal? Are you this fucking guy?
david_bisbal_representante_christian_manzanelli_david_bisbal_contrataciones_christian_manzanelli_david_bisbal_shows-4.jpg

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

Ridiculous. Also, check out this wonderful game!
David BVal? Are you this fucking guy?
david_bisbal_representante_christian_manzanelli_david_bisbal_contrataciones_christian_manzanelli_david_bisbal_shows-4.jpg

I'd rather be D.W. Bradley if you don't mind.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
but they also sounded the death knell of the Western branch of the series.

I don't think Wiz 1-5 style RPGs would have sold nearly as well as Wiz 6-8 did. The death of the Wizardry series can be attributed to the long wait between Wiz 7 and 8, and the failure to keep up with industry trends.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not to go into WHY SIR-TECH WENT BANKRUPT territory, but it's really Sir-Tech's fault. The Lawsuit with Greenberg, terrible publishing deals with garbage like Armed & Delirious or Druid: Daemons of the Mind, wasting fortunes on Nemesis: The Wizardry Adventure... even when they pulled a miracle like releasing Wizardry 8, it came with a terrible exclusive deal with EB Games - even fans who wanted to buy it couldn't find the goddamn game.

It really was a company of great developers and crappy management. It shows a lot that you can't even buy Wizardry 1-5 legally today. Only good thing they did was sell the IP to Japan instead of EA or something like that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Grimoire: 338 - 24(thread's title on each page) = 314+1 mentions.
Wizardry: 235+1 mentions.
I disagree with your count!
Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry!

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
here my new review of grimoire

ofc every rpg has few cheese tactecs or op itemz or spell and skills and stuff wita gud guide u can cum insibile but i play Grimah blind with even knowing anything about rpgs (only play jrpgs so far so i hav no real experience with dis) didnt even no wut stats do. and their r so many OP things that u basiicly need guide how NOT to cheez dis gaem. cant u DEEP FREEZe, Bards, Hold Munster, Lethal Bow, Vorpal Swerd, etc. but even if u dun cheeZ the ENEMIES WILL CHEEZ U. IS RIDICULIOSU@!!!

more than juz #s dat pop up during combat, ze enemiez make NO SENSE!!!! each area an encoutner table that is STUPID and VARIES 2 MUCH. FARIES KILL HALF UR PARTY!!! IT SUCK!!! u may get OP monsters or really easy monsters. THERE IS NO BALANCE!!!!!!! 60 HOURS into gaem i still fuighting weak mms fum first area of game!! WTF?!?!? I savescum to avoid all encoutners anyways so w/e fuck dis

even beatin the most powrful fos felt unfulling. mms never drop nothing except sum keys or somethin and xp rewards are COMPLEETELY BROKE!!! u get 4000xp per encounter in some areas but n same area sum munsters give only 100xp!! WTF?!?!?! by end of gaem my characters needed 20000000000000xp to even reach next level but monsters no give nuff EXP to reach taht RIDICULOOS goal!!! and duh final quest only give me 9000xxp!!!! as result i never go to multi-class at level 10 cuz i COULD NOT GET 2 LEVEL 10. ABSERD!!! even tho i turn off random encoutners i should be able to get EXP for DOING NOTHING. THIS NOT FAIR!!!!

to make things even WORSE (i no!!!! how is that EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!?!) Grimwah employs sum RLY WEIRD death mechacines: each time u revive char there CON stat lowers by 10!!!! 10 FUKIN POINTS?!?!?! WTF!!! and sum races like vamps or ayylmaos can only b revived by WEIRD SPELLZ!!!! UNFAIR! it is unbalised MESS! i kno gaems like Wizardry (which i never play but i read a lot bout it on wikipedia and am basicall an expert) did this but DAMN this is UNBALANCED and BROKEN and UNFUN!! everyone in my team has lowest possible CON stat at end of the game! HOW IS THAT BALANCED? ill answer taht 4 u: IT NOT

for final example of unbalanced: take end game Hall of Horros in Wiz 12 (which i never play but like i said earlier i am basicallely a expert in thsi gaem). that was gaems ultimate challenge, option area wit SOOPER HARD BOSS BATTLES, sum took over TWENTY MINUTES! in GRIMWAH there is Hall of Gorrors but i beat all teh bosses in ONE ROUND! RIDICULUS! all seven bosses! DEAD IN A FLASH! NOT FUN

so why i keep playing Grimwah even tho i dun like it and it a fuckin unbalanced mess game? well firstl i had to look cool on rpgcodex.com (an alt right website). people except me to review games of genres i hav no experience in there so i do it and i harvest brofists. but that not the point here, the game isn't all bad (IT MOSTLY IS) but there is lots of exploration and stuff and i like that part a little bit

basicelly i like the exploration and the walking simulator parts. i like walking to diff zones (swhile save scumming to avoid teh encounters of course) and i liek lookin at the tilesets. i like the pyramid part and the towns. tahts basically it. besides that gaem sux

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grimoire: 338 - 24(thread's title on each page) = 314+1 mentions.
Wizardry: 235+1 mentions.
I disagree with your count!
Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry,Wizardry!
I do wonder if quotes count.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom