Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

daveyd

Savant
Thanks for the review. Haven't bought it yet but it's on my GOG wishlist.

I saw the Coles say somewhere that their plans for the next game was to do a Hero-U for a wizard student. Of course that could change if this game ends up being successful and there's lots of demand for continuing Shawn's story.

I'm on day 7 and the repetitiveness and backtracking are starting to get to me a bit; also

I would place it on the same category of Alpha Protocol, the "MY God the gameplay of this game sucks flaming giant balls but the concept is so interesting that I will keep at it."
this.

I think the concept would benefit from some sort of combination of PoE-style CYOA elements, set piece battles, map travel and traditional point-and-click sequences; keeping the point-and-click interface for everything with an occasional teleport (to the dining hall, for instance) or pointless illustration (bath) isn't all that great, especially given the constant need to run back and forth between the various locations in the castle.

There's nothing more important than the gameplay formula the Williamses invented...

Whaaaaaaaa? I mean, I love Kings Quest, but you are fucking bonkers on so many levels here.

At the most basic level: after roughly 87/88 Sierra succeeded in large part in spite of Ken Williams, not because of him.

Let's start from the beginning, then.
I have no idea who came up with the gameplay formula we've seen inside Sierra games. I said the Williams did because they founded the company, that must come with some bonus, no? But who cares who did it, as long as we acknowledge Sierra On-line designed their own games as they were.

The particle of god in a Sierra game is a situation, not even a real puzzle, but an "open problem" that can be solved in different ways, and it has consequences everywhere, deep and permanent.

It's at the same time a defined and open formula! It allows police simulations, crime stories, medieval stories, roleplaying games, each different, each even allowing manuals for following procedures and historical informations you need in the game. It's an amazing design structure, imo, one that's open to be adapted into many genres. Infact an "adventure" is a generic term, adaptable to everything. That's the reason why Sierra games could be the mother of all videogames, because they were "real" adventures, hell they even had a score that looked like arcade games! This freedom of choice undeniably comes from D&D and tabletop board games, freedom in a made up story. Sierra designers were kids who played D&D, like everyone. Sierra kids used this formula ever since their first titles in the 80's, carried this torch up to the great 90's masterpieces, and now Hero-U revived it, stripping it of its more punishing consequences, ofc.

Now, many other game gurus like R. Garriott, W. Spector, and Black Isle, maybe designed their games not taking inspiration from Sierra games, especially Garriott who started creating games around the 80's too, but, like Sierra designers did, by directly playing D&D, interpreting and converting it into a videogame.

But isn't the idea of multiple endings a little too specific to not be an original and unique invention they borrowed from Sierra games, which undeniably were the first one featuring the idea (unless Infocom's Zork did it before)?

Also, since nobody today seems to really GET choices & consequences, and all we see is ridiculous Bioware style ethical dialogues and romance, isn't Sierra legacy the most important thing in videogaming today? So Hero-U should be a lesson for all. Is there even non linearity and freedom of action in Wasteland 2, Pillars of eternity and such?

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Now, many other game gurus like R. Garriott, W. Spector, and Black Isle,

I wish you guys would stop including W. Spector as a "designer".

He was brought into LG/Blue Sky as an enforcfer by the publisher, not as a designer.

He was a publisher's suit then, a publisher's suit after, and a publisher's suit now. Nothing more. He hasn't "designed" shit.

Zep--

Quantomas

Savant
Now, many other game gurus like R. Garriott, W. Spector, and Black Isle,

I wish you guys would stop including W. Spector as a "designer".

He was brought into LG/Blue Sky as an enforcer by the publisher, not as a designer.

He was a publisher's suit then, a publisher's suit after, and a publisher's suit now. Nothing more. He hasn't "designed" shit.

Zep--
That mischaracterizes it a bit.

John Romero offered Warren Spector to design his dream game by providing the funds and not interfering with the development. The result was Deus Ex.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Good review. Fun to read and fair about the good and bad parts of this game. Personally I would've wished for a bigger finale, but I like the coming of age narrative and really hope for the other games too (the Paladin interests me the most, since Glory - Paladins are actually interesting and not only religious fanatics).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom