Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Paper Sorcerer

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Paper Sorcerer; UltraRunawayGames

Esteemed community member Deuce Traveler has penned a review of the Wizardry 4-like dungeon crawler Paper Sorcerer, released last year and available on Steam as well as from the game's official website for just $5. Have a snippet:

First, keep in mind that there is no character creation besides choosing a gender. Your character has been stripped of all of his or her powers, but you do get to summon one monster to aid you before the first fight. The summoned monsters join your party and gain levels along with you as you progress.

There are four different difficulty levels to choose from: Easy, Normal, Hard and "1980's". During my first trial runs, I went through the first stage of the game on Normal and on 1980's. I played on Normal with my Sorcerer, a Skeleton, a Minotaur, and a Vampire. On 1980's mode I tried my Sorcerer, a Cultist, an Abomination, and a Shadow. Eventually I settled on playing with a Vampire, Abomination and Witch on Hard mode. This party had the benefit of having two characters that could perform strong melee attacks (Abomination and Vampire), two characters capable of healing (Vampire and Witch), and two characters for arcane magic (Witch and Sorcerer). Those that want to go with a more classic party could run with a Goblin thief, Skeleton warrior, and Cultist healer. The combinations are quite numerous and the various classes fun to play and level up, adding to overall replayability. [...]

The main dungeon levels seem simplistic at first, each consisting of around a dozen or so rooms with connecting hallways. Each stage of the prison consists of three dungeon levels to explore, followed by one open area where a boss fight is conducted. It is easy to breeze through these levels, as you can always return to your home to rest up when low on health, and the enemies encountered do not respawn once defeated. However, there are hidden secrets scattered through the game that you can find if you explore thoroughly and pay attention. Finding these secrets is rewarding, as often they lead to treasure rooms with some great randomly generated loot.

Many of the stages have their own architectural style, with the graphics for the doors and walls altered to convey a different atmosphere. Some locations require you to walk across narrow causeways, while others require you to ascend or descend platforms in order to navigate them. This doesn't really make the game any more difficult, but it is a welcome attempt to break up the monotony. A couple of locations in the main dungeon also feature respawning enemies which make it difficult to map everything out, but this is thankfully used sparingly. [...]

The replay value is what makes the game addictive. With nearly a dozen different thralls to summon, you’ll be constantly experimenting with the composition of your party to support particular play styles. I can imagine fans of the game trying to beat it with a party consisting of no tanks or no healers, for example. At the end of the game you are given an epilogue for each character you have in your party, encouraging you to play again in order to see the various endings.​

Read the review in full: RPG Codex Review: Paper Sorcerer

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Fully agree, this game rocks.

It really does. It's a crying shame it has yet to be released on GOG though, that's where the potential (relatively large) audience for such a release actually is. The benefits of additional exposure should not be underestimated.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have a few other 2013 RPGs on my to play list, so the only other one I can compare it to is Shadowrun Returns, which of course is a much different game. However, I had a lot more fun with Paper Sorcerer than I did SR, and can see myself returning to it again soon because of the replay value. It's been a couple weeks since I've beaten it, and I'm still pondering a replay on 1980's mode with a different party configuration.

Repressed Homosexual
Still crudely unbalanced and unfinished though, I found it sad how he kept adding new rooms, dungeons and monsters months after release and still does.

Repressed Homosexual
Still crudely unbalanced and unfinished though, I found it sad how he kept adding new rooms, dungeons and monsters months after release and still does.

There's only so much a single developer can do, keep that in mind.

That's called not releasing games before they're actually ready.

But with Kickstarter you have to promise that things are just around the corner to generate hype.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Humanity has risen! - valiantly fighting for pre-Internet software development models since 2010.

Spaceman Spiff

Educated
Fair and informative review.
Paper Sorcerer is a surprisingly good game, especially if you factor in the very low price.

I can't see myself replaying it though despite the summon variety. As you wrote, the dungeon design really is simplistic. Repeating the same "navigate 3 very small maps, then beat the boss (then the next catacomb level)" pattern gets quite monotonous because of this.
It's great for a few quick sessions every now and then and that was probably the developers intention anyway. A nice "snack" of an RPG. It does that really well.

Also the lack of an undo command annoyed me when I slipped into absent-minded roguelike mode of just spamming spacebar to get through encounters, which then killed me.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I loved this game. Everything about it was great. It felt like a cool cross between Shin Megami Tensei and Wizardry. I would've wanted longer and seamless dungeons without being segregated into levels, but the gameplay, the graphical and art style and music were top notch. I opted for a bit of a cookie cutter party, though, so it felt kinda vanilla. I'll play the game again sometime in the future and try a more unorthodox party composition.

Last edited:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:brodex:
Very good review. I loved this game so much! Art style, atmosphere, party members, gameplay, exploration...everything works so well. Going for a second playthrough soon.
:yeah:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I opted for a bit of a cookie cutter party, though, so it felt kinda vanilla. I'll play the game again sometime in the future and try a more unorthodox party composition.
You should. I'm playing it on 1980 mode now, with the Puppet, the Vampire and the Shadow. It's extremely fun and challenging.

A really charming little game (especially given the price) and easily more entertaining than most mainstream fare (RPG or otherwise). I bought a few extra copies after the release and ended up with two left, so if anyone would like to try the game out, let me know in this thread -- I'll PM you the humble store links (should contain both DRM free & Steam key option) & update this post accordingly once they're gone.

EDIT: Link #1 sent to Broseph, link #2 to oasis789.

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
A really charming little game (especially given the price) and easily more entertaining than most mainstream fare (RPG or otherwise). I bought a few extra copies after the release and ended up with two left, so if anyone would like to try the game out, let me know in this thread -- I'll PM you the humble store links (should contain both DRM free & Steam key option) & update this post accordingly once they're gone.
I'd like to try it out. :P

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I opted for a bit of a cookie cutter party, though, so it felt kinda vanilla. I'll play the game again sometime in the future and try a more unorthodox party composition.
You should. I'm playing it on 1980 mode now, with the Puppet, the Vampire and the Shadow. It's extremely fun and challenging.
This sounds like such a fun party. Sorry, I'm stealing it. :D

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Game is very unbalanced in combat.From both sides.

From your side: especially Shadow (Shadow backlash being first in list). Spells that do dmg proportionate with enemy power >>> any other dmg spells for tough enemies. Because they ignore defence. Also dots is best way to fight, dots ignore defence also.
Also broken is AOE nuke from lvl 48 (50? dont remember) which damage depends on amount of energy. And since there are items to increase energy, you can 1-shot tough enemies with AOE in first round.

On other hand poison AOE attack from assasins can wipe half your team in first round. This coming from 1 asssasin. You battle 2 (and few more other mobs) in one fight. They usually go first, good luck.

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
Great review. Bought this a few weeks ago after watching Jim Sterling's playthrough on YouTube. There's a demo available if anyone wants to try the game out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom