Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Paper Sorcerer

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks for the quick reply VioletShadow :salute:
Didn't expect so many hours out of a 5$ game, will purchase right away.

Anytime! Have fun.
As for why so many hours, besides the "main story" levels, there's the catacombs which you can explore as many times as you want (you unlock each level by finding a secret something from each main level) and you get good loot and there's even a cool side quest towards mid/end that gets you very nice equipment. You get much XP because enemies respawn and added a lot of extra playtime for me. I've heard of others also completing it in the 20hrs range.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Good review, I'm trying the game out now since the review enticed me into buying it.

skyst

Augur
Paper Sorcerer is well worth the $5. The story and setting are simple but fairly unique, combat is fun and engaging throughout.

HorseFD

Novice
Well worth $5. Reminds me a lot of The Dark Spire for DS in its graphical style.

1980s difficulty is butt-rapey though.
The hardest part is the start. Once you get past the Knight boss, you have more resources and choices, so you can optimize your party.
I meant it in a good way.
1980s difficulty actually has me planning for the bosses after a couple of attempts instead of just being able to adjust my strategy on the fly.. just beat the third boss with a party of vampire abomination and minotaur.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
So I powered through the game during the weekend, 18 hours on Hard with mainly Skeleton, Vampire and Troll.
5$ well spend. All in all it was an enjoyable experience, though in the last Dungeon/Block I felt like the game overstayed it's welcome a little.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Equating play time with value is a mistake many developers make IMO. I appreciate games with relatively quick play times with replay ability.

I almost never completely play through lengthy RPGs more than once because once I experience a game's mechanics I remember them for life and replaying is like eating a big bowl of white rice on a full stomach; there are rare exceptions that such compelling replay value that I play through them again -- years later.

If you can't tell your story and round out an experience in 40 hours or less you have failed IMO.

Snozgobler

Educated
Played the demo a while ago and it was fun. Will pick this up at some point when I have more time.
I wasn't sure if it was an engine decision or a game decision to make enemies appear as blobs instead of giving some indication of what you're going to fight, but while not it certainly isn't a necessity, it would be nice to have more of an indication of what an enemy encounter will involve before the fight screen loads.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Finally finished it. It was excellent. I would like nothing better to play it over with different choices but I am supposed to be working on something.

Superb game with great art style. Worth more than I paid for it.

I thought of Dark Spire on DS as well. It was the same sort of atmosphere.

Indies like this help me stave off feelings of despair. It was a game devoted to providing something unique.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
“Ultra Runaway Games was created when one man with no industry experience or programming training decided to make a PC RPG”.

It's like I have been saying: To make games you first need to know how to make games. The technical aspects can be solved over time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom