Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity, by PrimeJunta

imweasel

Another fucking review of this piece of shit game? Jesus fucking Christ. Get over your butthurt about Roxor's review already. :lol:

hell bovine

Arcane
In how many games can you play the romance only to sell them to the devils?

Pillars of Et-

:troll:
Well, I would say no romances in Pillars is a positive feature, but I'm sure they are already planning on adding them in the next installments. (If you make romances an option in your game, however, the possibility of selling the love interest to the devil is very important C&C!)

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Another fucking review of this piece of shit game? Jesus fucking Christ. Get over your butthurt about Roxor's review already. :lol:

Roxor's review is problematic and harmful, it has to be buried under a dozen of neutral-positive pamphlets.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

When will it stop?
Since it's Obsidian fans writing them now, I hear Gromnir is going to do the next one. This is what he has so far:
HA! Good Fun!

edit: now that I think about it, like maybe two people are going to get that.

Last edited by a moderator:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Well, he did have a character in ToB, but he hasn't posted much on this forum lately.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The setting is complete shit. It's like Forgotten Realms if it got a vasectomy, was then castrated, and subsequently sterilized completely. All the epic, the mythic, the fantastic is stripped out, everything is banal and mundane. It neither has the careful thought and attention to detail that goes into pseudo historical settings, or the interesting social structures and dynamics. So what you're left with is absolutely nothing of interest, and worse, nothing to inspire, nothing to encourage you to suspend belief and immerse yourself. Just banal SEOUL SAUL SOWL over and over again. A fucktarded one trick pony "setting".

I'm sorry, but Forgotten Realms is the epitomy of soulless fantasy settings... a useless grab-bag of 20 years of DnD fan-fiction. You must be a Drizzt lover, poor sap. Heaven forbid that a world have... actual fantasy mechanics, consistent language and history backgrounds and real economic and cultural motivation. You might not *like* POE's world building, but to compare it to FR's ridiculous canon is, well , ridiculous. If anything , the only mechanical problem with POE's world building lends to the game is that it seems to have prompted some of the "encounter" design to be replaced with "ecological" design and led to some trash-mob annoyance ( this is a legitimate criticism of POE, not Forgotten Realms Rulz!!!)

The setting is less important than the presentation of it. I think the Baldur's Gate series did a pretty decent job with the setting they had - they limited the presence of Ed Greenwood's munchkins, built a version of the setting that is less obviously a bunch of superheroes high-level mages flying around saving the world, and improved the importance and the mystique of organizations such as the Twisted Rune, the Iron Throne, the Shadow Thieves, the Cowled Wizards, etc. Their version doesn't, therefore, exhibit the worst problems with the setting, and you'd never know you were playing in Ed Greenwood's self-insertion fantasy just from playing the game.

With Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian set up a lot of great ideas, but failed to deliver the presentation. Think about the first act of the game. The setup was great: a local lord driven mad with grief, children born without souls, opportunistic nobles fighting in the background, a demonic wind outside the town, people made desperate by suffering, etc. All the ingredients of a great drama. But do you deal with any of this in a dramatically compelling way? No. Instead you walk up to Raedric's castle, beat up his guards & him, and move on.

There's a great analogy here with Witcher 3's first act. There, you also deal with a local lord driven by grief, a child born dead, monsters outside of towns, people made desperate by suffering, etc. But there, the game actually makes a dramatic story out of it, one that has been rated one of the best quest chains in recent years. Imagine the baron quest in Witcher 3 being just you walking up to the baron's castle, beating up his guards & him, and then he gives you a paragraph about where Ciri is. It'd have been terrible - yet that's exactly what Pillars of Eternity did.

I've not criticized Pillars of Eternity's story up till now, but that's because I never thought it was a main draw of the game. Had it been, why did Avellone only write two characters? In retrospect, however, Obsidian ought to have stuck to what they were great at, instead of trying to come up with this new gameplay system that ended up being worse than the one their developers criticized.

Sadly, Pillars of Eternity is the opposite of what an Obsidian game used to be. It is technically competent, not an existing IP, and complete on release... Yet dramatically boring, intellectually mediocre, and absent of an emotional core.

Can you write the next review?
Itemization and area design is still shit though.

Well, he did have a character in ToB, but he hasn't posted much on this forum lately.

He was seriously considered to write our 3rd/4th PoE review until PrimeJunta jumped in.

Badly written garbage riddled with spelling mistakes and BR slang all spoken in the third person.. Yea it would probably still be an improvement over the tear stained fedora piece we got.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll fix it in the wiki for you, you big baby :P

Mt56D6k.jpg

To be honest I spared him only to spare me the another boring fight; as it happens I made good decision and didn't had to fight him twice; but to honest was tempted to bag to of them and either move on or claim the Redrick Castle for my Cousin of Emperor :obviously: char; its soo better stronghold for Fighter type than Cad Nua is even with all upgrades. Lord Home away from main Donjon/Citadel was laughable; what is this XIX century England?

Vernacular

Literate
A good review tbh. Far better than anything you'll find on ZOMG! BIOWARE DELIVERS YET AGAIN! 10/10! GOATY IGN type sites, and the dude actually makes enough of an effort to analyze what's in front of him to reach his conclusions. Which certainly puts it ahead of the usual "It sucks, am I cool yet, gais?" type affairs we all know and laugh at love. Or worse: Non-entity Youtube "celebs" wearing their kneepads down to fabric begging for subs.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
This review was so well received that it's been included in felipepepe's book, albeit in slightly condensed form :salute:

One notable addition is the comment about PoE's "massive replayability", which wasn't mentioned in this article at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom