Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity, by PrimeJunta

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The official Codex review should be out shortly, so we can discuss it in the comment section there.

Suicidal

Arcane
I agree NWN 2 is the worst* Obsidian game I've played. However MoTB is the best Obsidian game I've played, so I guess it balances out.

*Haven't played Dungeon Siege 3 and Alpha Protocol so not sure how they would compare.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
*Haven't played Dungeon Siege 3 and Alpha Protocol so not sure how they would compare.
AP is great, DS3 is a bit shovelwary but at least it's very playable fantasy beat 'em up, and as far as I know the only game using Obsidian's (now dead) internal engine.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
This review was so well received that it's been included in felipepepe's book.

Do you see that, felipepepe? Prima Junta’s review ends saying that PoE is a deep game, has massive replayability and has better gameplay than BG2. This is the kind of danger I was warning you about in that other thread. Later on, some unadvised player will read this review completely oblivious of what he is getting into and will buy this shitty game. What is the point of talking about cRPGs if we have no standards? None whatsoever. Your book should be titled "Fanboy cRPG book".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
AP is great

At what? At being a CYOA? One of those "you only get it if you play it 15 times"?

Perhaps, didn't care enough to bother with the shit gameplay to even finish it once.

Fairfax

Arcane
As I told felipepe, despite being someone extremely biased against PJ, I thought it was a decent review for someone who liked the game. However, it does have some bullshit: "massive replayability" and "natural evolution of the originals", in particular. How many of the Obsidian fanboys here have finished the game twice? Hell, with massive replayability they should be playing it 4, 5, 10 times.
Also, to say it succeeded in meeting expectations is no longer just his opinion, he's describing what everyone else thought as well. It's completely unnecessary and adds nothing to his analysis. Objectively speaking, the game didn't deliver many things that were promised, which makes it even worse.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Prima Junta’s review ends saying that PoE is a deep game, has massive replayability and has better gameplay than BG2.
No, he points out it has worse encounters, worse story and worse areas, plus a tacked on stronghold & mega-dungeon. But he prefers the character system (which took 2 years of patching to fix), even thought it's very different from the one in the IE games.

I think that's fair, reviews don't have to mirror my opinion. It's better to let authors expose their arguments - i.e., both M&M VI and M&M VII reviews claim they are "the best in the series" and both authors make their point. I'm not gonna go "LOL, you can't write that bro, M&M VII is clearly better".

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
AP is great

At what? At being a CYOA? One of those "you only get it if you play it 15 times"?

Perhaps, didn't care enough to bother with the shit gameplay to even finish it once.

AP is poorly designed. The C&C is suffocated by the retarded minigames and the trash mobs. So no, it fails even at that. You have to endure a lot of shit to try new things.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
reviews don't have to mirror my opinion.

It is not about mirroring your opinion, it is about doing an editorial job and preventing authors from including obvious falsehoods. Saying that PoE has massive replayability is like saying that BG2 has few spells. Keep your mind open but not so open your brains fall out.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
While I vastly prefer BG's logic of character building, it's true that PoE is based around building any party you like, and that people are replaying it that way - there's a PoE subforum just for character & party builds, and every community I look is still debating what party they'll build and what they should play next - including the Codex.

That's replayability.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
While I vastly prefer BG's logic of character building, it's true that PoE is based around building any party you like, and that people are replaying it that way - there's a PoE subforum just for character & party builds, and every community I look is still debating what party they'll build and what they should play next - including the Codex.

That's replayability.

Still, how many people discussing builds for their next run actually go through it and replay the game? Offering a variety of different PC builds/party compositions is not the only thing that affects replayability, what's also important is the degree to which said different builds result in a different gameplay experience. Not to mention that the base content of the game has to be good for you to actually go through it again (and not get bored) once you've already beaten the game once.

There are still people replaying IE games (well except IWD 2) 15+ years later, time will tell whether it will be the same case with PoE (and its sequel).

a cut of domestic sheep prime

That's replayability.
No, it's only replayability if the gameplay is different enough for it to be enjoyable - and preferably the choices and consequences/content as well.

Otherwise it's only "replayability" for the 1% of spergs who would replay virtually any game anyway because they are spergs and want to sperg out and play it X odd way for the challenge. Which I am guessing is where those codexers might fit in - those of them that actually finish their 2nd playthrough and don't just get bored and quit.

It's about what is replayable for the vast majority of users. If you make the dumb argument that:
Replayability is subjective,
then you make virtually any game "replayable" and that makes the word lose its meaning.

This is basically the "mario is an rpg" argument though, so it's not really winnable. You are going to argue your definitions and I'll argue mine.

It's why you can't take what anyone says at face value and have to delve deeper. It's "replayable"? Why? What makes it so? Maybe the reviewer just liked it so much that he thinks he could play it again (even if he never finished it to begin with, which happens). Maybe he just looked at all the options on character creation or dialog and assumed it's replayable - which is my guess here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How many of the Obsidian fanboys here have finished the game twice? Hell, with massive replayability they should be playing it 4, 5, 10 times.

I'm probably going to play it again soon due to a lack of other things to do and my attempts to replay D:OS and Wasteland 2 being a near-total bust. :cool:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's about what is replayable for the vast majority of users.
Vast majority of users don't even finish most games. Do you really think the vast majority of people who bought BG2 finished the entire campaign multiple times?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom