Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Infinitron is changing all the reviews to suit Mossad's agenda of upsetting foreign language individuals via passive aggressive editing on the Codex.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
When I (and Lurker King who helped me, thx bro) rewrote Konjad's Quickies - and I mean not only correcting grammar and typos but literally translating it from potato inglese into something that at least somewhat resembles actual English, as good as a non-native speaker like myself can do that anyway - I wasn't even aware we had an editorial policy here and that I would have had to ask for Konjad's approval. You learn something new every day, men.

Prime Junta

Sure, but if no agreement is reached, the author should be able to call it off before it's posted.

In the revision phase, yes: it's perfectly OK for the writer to withdraw the story or the editor to refuse it at that time. Once it's been accepted for publication this isn't kosher anymore: it wouldn't be fair to the people who put in the work to copyedit it. Asking the writer to sign off on the final version is a courtesy, not a requirement, and the writer should only request changes at that point for extremely good reasons.

Cadmus

Arcane
This took me by surprise, I think Commandos 2 was one of the best games ever made. And now there's another game in the genre and it even seems great? Wow!

Prime cunta is amazing in how he says he's been writing semi-professionally for years yet everything he writes reads like the most boring thing on the planet. I can literally feel the life being sucked out of me when readin that crap.

Ludo mang what is the problem, you can't stop the drama at the appetizer! Was it the Jews? Was it the Niggers? Who dun it?
I think the review is pretty good. The cell shading is really my only problem with the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ludo mang what is the problem, you can't stop the drama at the appetizer! Was it the Jews? Was it the Niggers? Who dun it?

q4sZMV.jpg

also lol @ cunta

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Infinitranny only made a small handful of corrections to my much longer Underrail Re-Preview. No matter how good you think your elite English grammar and vocabulary skills are, it's always best to have someone else check your work.

Glancing through the diff-checker comparison of the before and after of Ludo's review, I suspect the butthurt stems mainly from rephrasings done during copy-editing... some of these rephrasings seem unnecessary for the sake of either flow or clarity, but none of them change the essence of what's being said.

In any case, you can only expect so much when a Jewish golem is the RPG Codex editor-in-chief.

Archibald

Arcane
By the way, Ludo never said he wanted his name taken off because they edited his grammar. I'm inclined to think this has nothing to do with the edits at all. There is a deeper drama here, I just know it.

It's about the edits, and I suppose, the way we handle edits. For both this review and the Hard West review a year ago.

Tough cookies, the way the Codex works isn't for everybody. Like DU says, we're not professionals here.

It probably would be better if you stopped using that phrase. At this point it looks like a get out of jail card that is used in any context regarding front-page material.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
*shrug* It's been used twice and both in appropriate contexts. That both happened so close to each other is just another one of 2016-2017's unusual events. Take it up with DU!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Codex doesn't have any specific prerequisites for writing a game review other than being at least halfway-competent at communication and composition, nor do they dictate the style and tone of what is written.

The thread linking to my Re-Preview of Underrail received about 11,000 views. Even if only a few thousand people actually read the review (with perhaps a few hundred reading the entire article), you're afforded the opportunity to have your opinions of incline (or decline) read by potentially thousands of people, with what is realistically minimal interference from the staff and no particular requirements or deadlines for you to deal with.

It's a pretty good deal. The ultimate goal should be to bring incline to those who don't even realize there's such a thing as the decline, or to inform those who are already :obviously: of a game's status as either incline or decline. Your artistic integrity as a gaming journalist (kek) isn't really that important.

Granted, there have been some apparent shenanigans involving reviews of Codex darling games such as Pillars of Eternity, but fanboys rushing to pen positive shill reviews in the wake of a Roxxoring isn't exactly against any set of rules or moral code. They're entitled to their own shitty opinions.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
The game's voice acting will play a huge role in how you interpret this grimness. The developers managed to snag some Japanese voice actors for a Japanese dub that comes packaged with the game, and there is a world of difference stylistically between it and the English one. I would describe the English dub as stereotypical, with every actor having a tinge of Asian accent while Bruce Lee-ing it up with lines such as “Move like watah”. The Japanese voices are much more subdued and even borderline historically accurate, which is pretty weird given how fast and loose the rest of the game plays with this notion. The two dubs are so different that the choice between them even determines characters' personalities. Mugen the samurai has a very serious “Sensei” voice in the English dub - it wouldn’t be out of place to hear him say “Shamefur Dispray” - but the Japanese dub has him as a much more loutish brawler-type fellow, which is indicative of his peasant origins. Obviously some people will enjoy the cheese, but personally I consider the Japanese dub to be the superior one and definitely how the game should be experienced.
This can hardly be overstated. Normally I stick to the original language version whenever possible to experience what comes closest to the creators' vision and because it's a simple fact that there's always stuff lost in translation - sometimes unavoidably so, yet often for no good reason. Plus, 99% of the time a dub's voice-acting is inferior to the original on every level - sometimes extremely so, sometimes merely slightly so, usually somewhere in the middle, but practically always inferior. However in this case the translation actually adds to it for once, elevating it from a Western B-movie to about an average Japanese period drama (jidaigeki), i.e. far from historically accurate but feeling passably authentic. Whoever's responsible for this deserves some serious extra cash. In fact the contrast between the two versions is so stark, I quickly simply could no longer stand reading the English texts while listening to the far superior Japanese dub which makes the "A-san, B-san, everyone's a San-san" version read like a bad pre-WWW sub. Hence I've been playing a game created in English by Germans completely in Japanese. Heh.

Anyway, it's a really neat specimen of a genre I'd thought I'd never see again (to this extent). And the collectors' edition had some sweet physical goodies.

:4/5:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron

I found one more typo:

Shurikenjustu

I am not an expert in Japanese, but surviving 45873465873465 episodes of Naruto tells me that this should be "Shurikenjutsu".

The developers added a loading screen hint to explain that the game isn't frozen, which amuses me to no end since console certification QA specifically says that you are not allowed to do this.
WHOA! Seriously? That is pretty dumb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom