Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Technomancer

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I have discovered, that roguelike games, being as complex as they are is a most useful for a complete distraction from the surrounding reality, and to fully focus on the game. At least they are better in this then any other genre. )

You are actually not at that bad shape. I'm around 120+ kg. Last 10 was were superfluous lol.

Mustawd

Out of respect for aweigh's touching story, I moved my link to the reddit thread out of the way. But here's an interesting comment:

If Technomancer was isometric with the same RPG system you know damn well they'd be fellating it, even if it as mediocre as it is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4rzrnd/rpg_codex_review_the_technomancer/

Lol, yes, which is why we love Diablo 3 around here. :roll:

Lol, that reddit thread. Those guys wouldn't know what an rpg is if it hit them in the face with a turn based party attack with grid movement. Let's just call this for what it is: Shitty Fantasy GTA.

Fuckin reddit. Always full of shitty opinions with nothing of substance to back it up. It's like 4chan for retards. I don't blame them though. It's hard to follow wtf is going on with that horribad format of theirs.

Mustawd

True. To be fair I also admitted that I overreacted due to brofist sugar high. :M

jungl

Augur
Just thought I add this game deserves its 4.0 reviews. The repetitive gameplay is very annoying and the gameplay rpg/crafting mechanics are non existent for most part. Its not worth playing same as a terrible movie is not worth watching all the way. Hopefully spiders studios goes down after this or makes something original for a change. 6.0 games I consider flawed like say legacy of kain defiance BUT the gameplay and story are still entertaining. Its extremely rare that I find 4.0 or lower scored games worth playing. Road to fiddlers green one of few such games I recommend playing if you like old school shooters and zombies.

set

Cipher
I tried to play this, co-worker got it and let me have a spin. The youtube footage looked quite good.

The game is really promising for the first half an hour. I said, "Wow, it's The Witcher 2 in space!" which is not that big of a copliment for me, because I only sorta liked The Witcher 2.

By the time I was done with the tutorial zone boss, I was sorta okay with the game. The combat felt decent.
And then I started to do the main quests. My interested kinda flopped there. The main quest just wasn't interesting at all. I was initially tasked to find some deserters for a military bitch. I decided to do Chaotic Good and let them go instead of executing or arresting them. Not only was I disappointed in the outcome of my choice, I googled to see if it resulted in any long term story effect... Yeah. Just, yeah.

The talent tree in the game is dumb. You have 4 trees you can invest in. One is for magic. One is for staves. One is for daggers. One is for maces. Each weapon uses a combat stance.

Now, if you could switch stances quickly like Devil May Cry rewards, or do a stance-dance to pull off something meaningful combo, or if talents in the different trees synergized in interesting ways, I'd be on board for the progression system. Considering none of that is really true (You just invest in one weapon talent tree and put your remaining points in magic), your chocie is kind of stunted and boring. Whatever. Most of the talent bonuses are meaningless anyway, the biggest buffs are just a puny +20% damage dealt with some minor effects sprinkled in. Typical trash, shallow design.

I was at least expecting to stumble into some interesting, memorable, drawing characters in the first couple of hours. Instead, I was saddled with characterless mooks. I got turned around a few times and fought some respawning monsters, got my party wiped, and just decided to give up.

It could have been a gud game, I guess. Okay, no, not really. I mean, at best, an Action RPG Mass Effect 2 is what it could have been. I hated ME2, but considering the neverending good high budget RPG drought, I could have maybe enjoyed this game at a base level if it had enough T n A and space fantasy. It didn't even have gratuitous sex!

I guess, if you're going to make a quality game - really, get the details right. This game doesn't get the details right. It could have gotten the broad strokes right at least, but it doesn't even accomplish that...
If you can't get the details right, give me a stupid AAA plot I can at least want to reach the end of...

This game is better than DA3, but that's about all the praise I can give it.

Okay, maybe I'm being too harsh on it.
I would say this game definitely is on the same shelf with the likes of all recent Mid-Budget RPGs of the last 2 years. This is basically Bound By Flame in space, quality wise. The story is awkward, the gameplay is awkward, the presentation layer is okay. It's completely forgettable.

Heretic

Cipher
:necro:
Half a year later

The Technomancer is a good low-budget game with a few significant flaws that might be alleviated by future patches.
Well guess what. Spiders are a lazy developer, creating the same game over and over with exactly the same flaws, and they never fixed anything mentioned in the review. You can't even rebind keys properly.

Spiders. Never again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom