Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Angthoron

Arcane
You have a passage about leveling and its impact on char building and what not. But the thing that frustrated me the most was the bizzare structure of the main plot. Its ridiculously easy to overlevel even if you're going out of your way not to. And since main plot has the only real set-pieces in the game that means most challenging fights and encounters are automatically trivial.

Ah, like that. Yeah, that is also a problem. I think the whole level/encounter level design team had too much to drink the day they assigned levels to stuff, then just did it arbitrarily. I'm not sure I would call it too much of a problem because, you know, combat in general and controls in particular need some serious fixing, and if it saves someone the frustration of fighting skull-difficulty mobs, hooray to that, but the other side of the coin is that it could frustrate people that find it too easy, too.

It's kinda funny. There's some really good potential for fun encounters, but then it's completely countered with bad controls, weird level choices (and level impact) and the completely unbalanced dodge-rolling spam.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The oversaturated nuclear red isn't due to any sort of theory or shape or whatever, it's simply retarded bad taste and those responsible should be made to stare at it till their eyes turn to raspberry jelly.

Also, TW3 most definitely ISN'T roll-playing game. I used rolling almost exclusively for big bosses, dodge-jump is quicker, better and more effective.

Personally I'd spend much more time shitting on the itemization. It's so terrible it's almost awe inspiring. How could've anyone in such a talented dev studio, in a game with almost national importance, stood back, looked at it and said: "Yes, that is a good itemization system" is so far beyond me I don't even.

Agreed completely on the rest.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most important question of all:

how are the boobs in this game, compared to the previous ones?

wg_witcher_aok_00_620x349.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
The oversaturated nuclear red isn't due to any sort of theory or shape or whatever, it's simply retarded bad taste and those responsible should be made to stare at it till their eyes turn to raspberry jelly.
It's not only red that is oversaturated, though, and the "shape or whatever" is actually fairly prominent. It's an uncommon element of design in gaming though. We can agree to disagree, but I would expect that CDPR could afford hiring some Polish artists that actually know this shit. Fuck, I know this shit and I'm no artist, or a Pole.

Also, TW3 most definitely ISN'T roll-playing game. I used rolling almost exclusively for big bosses, dodge-jump is quicker, better and more effective.
Well, what can I say - I'm glad for you. I found rolling to be the end-all solution to any shit situation. From feedback of quite a few people, so have they. Dodge is functional, but it doesn't let you fuck over the AI in quite such a way. It should be limited by stamina a lot more and be a strategic resource rather than a spam option.

Personally I'd spend much more time shitting on the itemization. It's so terrible it's almost awe inspiring. How could've anyone in such a talented dev studio, in a game with almost national importance, stood back, looked at it and said: "Yes, that is a good itemization system" is so far beyond me I don't even.
It's already 13 pages, man. Gotta stop at some point so people can still read it.

That's some pretty low brow trolling just like your review.

QjvAPbB.jpg

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Well, what can I say - I'm glad for you. I found rolling to be the end-all solution to any shit situation. From feedback of quite a few people, so have they. Dodge is functional, but it doesn't let you fuck over the AI in quite such a way. It should be limited by stamina a lot more and be a strategic resource rather than a spam option.
I must say the combat became much more enjoyable after I got out of the TW2 mentality of constantly using Quen + Roll and instead started to use dodge most of the time. Both dodging and rolling have their uses, but the former allows you to be much more aggressive whereas the latter tends to make the fights much more drawn out as it's a more defensive move. Rolling is useful against enemies with far-reaching attacks, like the sweep attacks of certain winged monsters that are pretty hard or impossible to dodge, or when you're about to get swarmed and just need to get some distance between yourself and the enemies, but for most other situations dodging is more effective. Dodge covers a long enough distance so that you can avoid most attacks, yet it keeps you close enough to instantly perform an attack of your own while the enemy is still vulnerable. Dodging is also faster and allows you to fight even in the middle of a group of enemies without getting hit (doesn't sound like much, but it makes a huge difference to the way the fights play out), whereas rolling leaves you vulnerable for a split second at the start and the end of the animation and generally requires you to keep all of the enemies in front of you, preferably taking them out one at a time. Stamina of course replenishes much faster when dodging instead of rolling, which allows you to use your signs and other stamina-related abilities more often.

No doubt that rolling will get you through most of the game without much trouble, but once you get the hang of dodging, there's no going back.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Angthoron

Arcane
The transformation into RPGWatch is finally complete.

Hey don't mock us - you guys do much more mainstream reviews right now than the Watch. At least we cover some indies. You go straight to IGN/Gamespot niveau.
What of your Curator, eh, eh?

He includes much more indie stuff than the 3 Codexian (or is 4 already?) curators, too.
Including things patently not RPG.

Black

Arcane
The transformation into RPGWatch is finally complete.

Hey don't mock us - you guys do much more mainstream reviews right now than the Watch. At least we cover some indies. You go straight to IGN/Gamespot niveau.
What of your Curator, eh, eh?

He includes much more indie stuff than the 3 Codexian (or is 4 already?) curators, too.
You talking about the watch or codex curator?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Of course - RPGWatch terms of use:
We focus on single player RPGs for the PC, but like Adventures, Strategy Games, Visual Novels and Shooters with some roleplaying elements as well.
We support indie games, crowdfunding and innovative new game ideas. Naturally we believe in oldschool classic games with interesting entertaining and challenging gameplay.

ironyuri

I haven't seen a review suck a developer's cock so vigorously nor cup his balls so gently since ironyuri reviewed Expeditions: Conquistador.

kris

Arcane
It's not only red that is oversaturated, though, and the "shape or whatever" is actually fairly prominent. It's an uncommon element of design in gaming though. We can agree to disagree, but I would expect that CDPR could afford hiring some Polish artists that actually know this shit. Fuck, I know this shit and I'm no artist, or a Pole.

I was in Poland last year and there I met up with two concept artists. They were not Polish, in fact they told me that most concept artists there was not Polish. Of course they didn't work on The witcher, but I just wanted to mentioned this piece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom