Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Elthon was such a progressive character, an outcast simply because he had happened to be born into the wrong body. While BioWare and the likes were still playing it safe with their mild LGBT characters, CDPR were two steps ahead and directly tackled the heavy social issues regarding furries (what do you call a furry that wears feathers instead of fur?). Even the quest itself reflected the endless struggle to acquire ones true identity, one feather at a time.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Take the second chapter of Witcher 1. Geralt is for some reason shocked, SHOCKED at having been ambushed by Salamandra agents in the sewers, despite the fact that they've been hounding him for the entire game prior to that and that the entire Temple Quarter swarms with Salamandra thugs at night (which in itself is incredibly silly). So he decides he needs to go to the trouble of hiring the services of a detective to uncover this mystery, and this somehow leads to a quest where he becomes convinced that somebody in town is evil or something, and sidequests entitled "Suspect: X" begin mysteriously appearing and disappearing from your journal for reasons that aren't entirely clear. OK, so none of this makes much sense, but at least there's some cool C&C at the end of it all, right? Except in the end you discover none of this is even the point of the chapter. Instead you're collecting stones to unlock some tower in the swamp, because...because...uh, something.

The Suspect quests were basically a "these are the major players in this Act, determine whether or not they are in league with Salamandra". My belief is that the questline was used as a narrative tool to introduce the player into all of his major allies, as none of the suspects were actually involved with Salamandra. I liked this questline because you can screw it up (I did on my first playthrough lol).

Personally I really liked TW1 Act 2, I'm not a storyfag but from a gameplay perspective it was great - lots and lots of quests, many of which were really good and the levels gave a fair amount of exploration. Personally it felt a little bit like playing Baldur's Gate - even though obviously it's a 3rd person 3D game with one character, something about it hit the right notes - exploration and atmosphere wise, particularly at that point in the game.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I really loved TW1's pacing. Each chapter usually started slow from some small event that gave you the general idea of your goal and set you on your way, after which you were free to go about your business and explore at your own pace, getting to know the important people and picking up pieces here and there, until it all came together and culminated in an intense finale. Each chapter was in a way a story of its own and the pacing reflected that, with a patient (but certainly not boring) build-up to each major event. Even the side quests were usually nicely connected to the main story in some way, as they often explored similar themes or introduced you to characters that would play an important part later on. I can't really think of another game with a similar pacing, but it worked incredibly well, all the way up to the very satisfying epilogue.

TW2 failed in this on many levels, as its chapters (especially the first two) started with long, linear sequences that basically just served as info dumps and introduced you to pretty much every important character in that chapter right away, as well as every problem you were required to solve. Then you had the middle part, where all exploration and side questing took place but the actual story moved forward very little. After you had finished the checklist the game gave you, the game put you on rails again and lead you to the conclusion of that chapter. Only the second act somewhat managed to capture that adventuring feel of TW1, although it too was very straightforward overall and only felt different because if gave you more than one or two threads to follow. TW3 fortunately has much better pacing and structure again, although the questlines are still nowhere near as complex as in some parts of TW1, and aside from Velen it doesn't always seem quite sure what each storyline is supposed to be about and what themes it wants to explore.

As for Infinitron's criticism about TW1, it's hard to even comment on it because it so weird. The storylines of Act II and III aren't difficult to follow at all. You try to gain access to the swamp tower because you think it's a way to catch Azar Javed, who has been your target from the start (whether he's tricking you or you're tricking him is up to you). The only somewhat strange thing about it is how the focus of the investigation suddenly shifts from the initial attack to the murder, although, like Sensuki said, the quest is more about finding someone associated with Salamandra than it is about solving some particular mystery. Act III introduces you to the big players in Vizima that will play an important role in the second half of the game, and even though there is some intrigue involved, the chapter isn't "supposed to be" anything else than it is. It's one of the most straightforward chapters in the game that finishes up one storyline and offers some foreshadowing for the next, sort of a transition between the early game where Geralt's mostly tracking down Salamandra by himself and the late game where things start to unravel and the stakes get notably higher.

kris

Arcane

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
On the other hand, MotB doesn't waste 30+ hours of your time on moving around a mostly superfluous open world.

And don't even remind me of Stacraft 2's story and characters, I'm actively trying to forget. Few more years of heavy drinking and I'll get there.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
JbqN87m.png

qVI6hZb.png

Witcher 2 writing is STILL winning, sorry guys.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
It's Good For What It Is.

So anyway...anybody wanna play a card game? Gwent specifically?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Such praise! Sounds even better than I expected, and I like the Witcher. Didn't really like much of the beginning though, but I haven't had time to play much of it yet.

And why the fuck would action combat make it less of an RPG than tactical combat? They both depend on player skill, and involve no RP decisions except for combat build, which really isn't about roleplaying anyways.

Angthoron

Arcane
Another not-rpgcodex-like review. Meh.
Okay, I'll lie about the next game I'll review to please the audience and fit their high standards.

Will that work?

Such praise! Sounds even better than I expected, and I like the Witcher. Didn't really like much of the beginning though, but I haven't had time to play much of it yet.
How far along are you? Beginning actually gets a few clever bits as well, but yeah, it's really basic compared to the rest of the game.

And why the fuck would action combat make it less of an RPG than tactical combat? They both depend on player skill, and involve no RP decisions except for combat build, which really isn't about roleplaying anyways.
Action combat doesn't make it less of an RPG - but poorly implemented combat and controls sort of do.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, I'm playing this right now. So far I, more or less, agree with you Angthy. Funny how while each Witcher game has changed a lot, in the end they are all very similar.

Clunky combat, awkward movement, crappy inventory/itemization.
Fantastic writing, excellent quest structure, meaningful C&C, beautiful world.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What's so remarkably "poorly implemented" about the combat, exactly?
Human:Block 2/3 of attacks, attack from behind is advised.
Small monsters: Surround you and jump at you, use Aard/Igni and dodge alot advised.
Big monsters: One, two heavy attacks, roll/dodge back, watch out for charge attack.
Are you lazy? Just spam Igni and win against everything except golems.
Those formulas get old by the time you finish Velen but there are Novigrad, Skellige and Kaer Mohen still to play.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's so remarkably "poorly implemented" about the combat, exactly?
Wondered about that as well.

I think it works and plays very well, and it is less a QTE mess than it was in previous games.
The only complaint I would have is that it depends too much on levels. You can pretty much forget to fight things too far above your level, as that would just take too damn long and a single blow can kill you.
Other than that, I really think it is a good action combat system with a touch of RPG and some strategic thinking.
The different kinds of monsters make sure you don't always do the same things in each combat. There could have been some more variety in monster behaviour, though.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Big monsters: One, two heavy attacks, roll/dodge back, watch out for charge attack.
Big monsters also have this bug - you can basically find a dead zone on a lot of them, which means that you can spam quick attacks and keep strafing to avoid all damage for about 85% of the fight. Especially prominent on flying monsters. Just keep them grounded with Aard.

Other than that, I really think it is a good action combat system with a touch of RPG and some strategic thinking.
See, and then some people say that combat system is total shit, too.

It's serviceable. I wish it was better - more responsive, for one. The animation issue I mention in the review is pretty heavy, for one, the control responsiveness and the camera are the other.

Plus, I have to say that sword combat vs humans is really predictable. Drain their stamina in quick 3 hits, get 1 hit in, rinse, repeat - or use magic, bombs or wait for them to attack, of course, sure. Basic pattern on "normal" attack is always the same, though - not even slightly randomized. And this pattern goes for trash mobs and special named dudes!

It could've been anything from good to great though, and that's the failing, to me, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom