Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex - Top 50 WORST RPGs YOU'VE PLAYED vote thread

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Killzig, please do link it!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Today while packing all the shit I own in my room in boxes, I came across my Lionheart CD and manual.

Never played it, never will.

That reminds me, gotta trash my copy. (Never played it, never will, didn't even pay for it.)

Obama Phone 3

Learned

jaybirdy

Educated
So I was reading over this thread and I saw that I posted in it years ago (wow, does the time fly or what :negative:) with tuluse wishing me good luck on my PC journey. Thanks brother! Since then, I've played a bunch more from the genre, so my opinions on CRPG's are a little more well-rounded now. I've also done some flip-flopping since then.

For one, I said I hated Might and Magic and Planetescape Tournament. Well, for the latter, I was flip-flopping even back then. For a game I supposedly hate so much, I somehow found it in me to replay it a few times. I think my problem was that I wished there was more planes-hopping. You get a taste of it at the end, and though it was underdeveloped, I wanted more of it. Most of the game is talking to the people in the city, and I took that as ludicrous on principle. And even though half of the things you do and talk about in Sigil is mundane, there is that other half which is imaginative, fascinating, and just fun to think about in general. There was just so much more that they could've done with that setting and those characters, which was why I was disappointed.

As for Might and Magic, well, it took me awhile to finally understand it, but then it finally clicked for me. I used to think it was Wizardry for babbies, but it's something else entirely. What it is is one dopamine release after another. When JVC says that he has fun making them and playing them, I believe him. "Fun" is exactly the adjective I'd used to describe M&M, that or "rewarding." When you stumble upon a room full of barrels that will jack up your primary stats significantly, it's crazy rewarding. Ditto when you kill a boss and it gives you a zillion experience points, or when you find a secret passage inside a secret passage, which leads to a shitload of gold, really sick lewt, and a supremely powerful spell. It lends a feeling of progression that no other RPG can compare to. Lesser developers would say that this accelerated level of progression would kill the balance, but when you rely too much on balance, you get games like PoE, where everything you can do is just kinda okay but nothing is special.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I was hooked on Might and Magic 6 when it came out. Never beat it, never wanted to, and it somehow caught me up the way Wizardry or Arkania never did.
Now ill only touch Heroes of Might and Magic. I dont regret mnm5/6/7 but I never want to go to that place again, either.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Today while packing all the shit I own in my room in boxes, I came across my Lionheart CD and manual.

Never played it, never will.

...did you buy it "ironically", or what? And why didn't you throw it over your fence like the other discs?

Yes I purchased it. In fact I think I even pre-ordered it. Back in the day (Fallout, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate) if it had the Interplay logo on it, it was a good bet it was probably a good RPG (the same when you saw a game with the SSI logo on it).

And that's when I learned that after that game, I'd just wait for review and word of mouth on any future games from Interplay. And pretty much everything after that was complete garbage (except for the Icewind Dale series IIRC).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone who bought a game called "Dungeon Hack" for the "graphics" and "interaction" deserve all the ridicule they can get. The game was fine - nothing great, but what for it sets out to do (hack and slash low-puzzle randomly-generated dungeon crawling with a single character using EOB engine and character system) it does it perfectly well.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
And that's when I learned that after that game, I'd just wait for review and word of mouth on any future games from Interplay. And pretty much everything after that was complete garbage (except for the Icewind Dale series IIRC).

Interplay's next two games after Lionheart were Dark Alliance 2 and Brotherhood of Steel, and then not a single release for 6 years.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Interplay's next two games after Lionheart were Dark Alliance 2 and Brotherhood of Steel, and then not a single release for 6 years.

IIRC Icewind Dale II came out after Lion Heart.

Lhynn

Arcane
I see PoE in some of the lists here. takes a really tryhrd fgt to put it there. that or one that hasnt played many rpgs.

Morkar Left

Oblivion
Arcanum

There might be other older shit games but they were at least too inoffensive to keep in my memory. The two above were just rageinducing with their shameful game systems and badly designed gameworlds. But at least Arcanum has some redeeming values in the later one.

EDIT: Totally forgot but deserves it to be mentioned: NWN 2. Could have been good if they had used the traveling system and resurrection system from SoZ.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
This is tricky since I avoided a lot of the obvious failures and my most hated games list includes a majority of non-RPGs, but from memory:

Daggerfall (endless dungeon grinding and flat-packed cities)
Icewind Dale 2 (I didn't hate it, it was just a disappointment after the first)
Ultima 9 (obviously - at least 8 had some nice music and an interesting world)
Kingdoms of Amalur (so boring that washing the dishes seemed a better option)
Two Worlds II (KoA on valium)
Dungeon Siege 3 (like the first, disliked the second)
Gothices (and I've got used to the dirty looks, thank you)
Drakensang - River of Time (I actually liked the first but the second is identical and by then I'd had enough)
Twitcher 2 (although I never finished the first, I at least got some small entertainment out of it)

Some that I liked but shouldn't have (if I want to maintain my aura of prestigiousness):

Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim (although the Skyrim 'plot' was so dull I never finished it)
Alpha Protocol (but not enough to finish it)
Dragon Age 2 (although I only paid £7 for it)
Mass Effects (even three, although I never got to the infamous ending)

There are probably others that I've blocked out to maintain my sanity

Ultra

Educated
I see PoE in some of the lists here. takes a really tryhrd fgt to put it there. that or one that hasnt played many rpgs.

fanboy, PoE is utter shit. Wasteland 2 is too. Only decent KS RPG is Dragonfall and D:OS to a lesser extent.

Inquisitor There are no words
Pathologic (is this even an RPG?) gave me brain damage, hate that people act like it's not incomprehensible, ugly and punishingly tedious.
Alpha Protocol just embarassing, the gameplay is so bad, abysmal
Might and Magic blobbers
stupid shit for babies, just play wizardry instead like a real man
NWN accelerated decline from 6 man party to henchmen, didn't even feel like a game, more of a tech demo and tools for retards to tell each other shit stories and LARP it up with awful early 3d visuals
Bloodwych DM rip off, had split screeen co-op, sucked
Arx Fatalis can't blame them for not having the foresight to see how a 21 inch monitor would fuck their magic system but it did. Stupid talking goblins and trolls.
War in Middle Earth watch hobbtits walking for 25 hours, Boromir always dies in the first battle
Morrowind Tried so many times to see what others do, even read some of the in game books and 'lore' then hated myself for trusting nerd shit taste over my own
Game of Thrones

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
fanboy, PoE is utter shit. Wasteland 2 is too. Only decent KS RPG is Dragonfall and D:OS to a lesser extent.
I'm quite enjoying PoE - certainly worth backing. Still waiting for Wasteland 2 and D:OS 'final' releases before I play them.

War in Middle Earth watch hobbtits walking for 25 hours, Boromir always dies in the first battle
The Mike Singleton strategy game? I loved that game! :cool: I even won in the end with a epic battle to defend Minas Tirith that I remember to this day.

Morrowind Tried so many times to see what others do, even read some of the in game books and 'lore' then hated myself for trusting nerd shit taste over my own
Nerd shit taste FTW!

Lhynn

Arcane

fanboy
:prosper: I am now a PoE fanboy.

PoE is utter shit. Wasteland 2 is too. Only decent KS RPG is Dragonfall and D:OS to a lesser extent.
Stop trying so hard junior.

Exile sucks just like Sacred 2, Titan Quest, Torchlight and similar Diablo clones.
We are talking RPGs, not ARPGs, and no it isnt, its good, so is torchlight and a few other diablo clones. The original diablo is still the best of them because of the superb atmosphere, holds up even today.
Dins curse is another one of my favorites.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Never like anything by Troika Games, unlike everyone else on this site. Also disliked Planescape: Torment.

Liked:
  • Fallout 2
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Gothic 2
  • Oblivion (don't hate me)
  • Arx Fatalis
  • Dragon Age: Origins

Disliked PS:T as a game. Enjoyed the epub I read last year. It's the superior PS:T experience.

Link it bro. The story still fucking sucks though.
http://discogenie.dyndns.org/planescape/

da_rays

Augur
Worst RPG I've played? I could list quite a few....but Ultima 9 left a real sour taste in my mouth. TOEE installed from retail disc with no patch totally vanilla does not bring happy memory too...But its at least better now.

Septerra Core would make the list too for me. Drakken on SNES was a very horrible experience too if we go outisde cRPG

Jarakka

Learned
I don't think I can ever finish Neverwinter Nights' main campaign without alcohol, it's awful. It's so bad it makes you laugh and physically hurt at the same time.

Maybe someday though. The game feels like it is a shitty C-grade Forgotten Realms novel turned into a game and it makes me kind of nostalgic because of that.

bananaBaboon

Novice
Elder Scrolls 3,4 - Hiking simulators. I despised the encyclopaedia styled dialogue. Every single person had the same 10 sentences to say. The side-quests were generally uninspired and boring, very few exceptions. They couldn't even get the combat right!

Arcanum - Not sure where to start. The dialogue was good, the system mechanics were in place, where did they go wrong? Execution. The game was an absolute mess.

DramaticPopcorn

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. Was very disappointed with the game since original PoE was my first game I've ever played.

I'm not sure whether it's fair for me to list NWN here as well. On one hand, OC is the most garbage thing I have ever played through. I hated every moment of it and I hated myself for drudging through it. On the other hand, though, I had hundreds upon hundreds of hours of fun both in the Toolset and in online play as well as other modules.

DaveO

Erudite
With more added pages since my last tabulation, I'll be doing a 2014-2015 tabulation at the end of this year in this thread. All previous votes from before 2014 are thrown out, so this gives the 'Dex a chance to see what changed since the last time I did a count.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom