Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex - Top 50 WORST RPGs YOU'VE PLAYED vote thread

Can we just rename this thread to "Top 50 most contrarian opinions"?

That said, another legitimately bad RPG would be Mugen Souls. Like Phantom Brave if it were awful.

Shin

Cipher
I wish I could slap on a filter on every codex thread filtering (made-for-console first) action RPG's as it's become very obvious nobody likes them.

and really, Diablo? Is that also in the same fucking genre?

anyways my worst RPG's are
Rocket League
Arma 2
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012
and the entire GTA series of course, they really diluted the RPG elements in that series

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Ultima 8- The edgy setting doesn't compensate for the gameplay
Ultima 9- Do I even need to say anything. The worst action rpg game I've played
Descent to Undermountain- Played it recently...dear god what an exercise in tedium (Avellone writing can be seen a mile away though)
Arcania- 2nd worst action rpg I've ever played.
Pool of Radiance Ruins of Myth Drannor- even ignoring its legacy it is still terrible in almost every way by comparison to most titles

Special mention: Lionheart - It is so unfinished I don't even consider it a full game so I don't feel right criticizing it.

Last edited:

Electryon

Savant
Might & Magic IX: Also know as "First Person Shooter of Might & Magic"

To be fair, that is every Might and Magic game from 6-9. You fire arrows at range until you can't or it's safe not to. The absolute #1 rule of those games is getting the bow skill on every character as soon as possible. I don't think Might and Magic IX is really as bad as everyone thinks it is. It's unfinished (like any number of games we could mention). It also had the unfortunate luck of being stuck at a time when 3D was required in your games, but it still looked like absolute shit. It's aged badly, the cities are empty, and it's total nonsense, but it still PLAYS very much like the 6-8 trilogy. And the dungeons are actually underrated.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Dark Souls
Based on following assumption:
we are talking about crpgs in here

List can be filled just with games that were not playable on pc.
And there are 2 games I couldnt play even after heavy patching/modding: mm9 and dark souls.
And while mm9 is just unfinished I rly dont understand how dark souls can be sold as PC game.

Once you discard technical issues, game I had huge problem with because of its combat mechanics was witcher1. Everyone keep saying how one must somehow make it to the town and game will start shining. I did. And I still have to participate in that stupid mouse click minigame which made me quit it for good.

I once tried to play Jagged Alliance 2 with my dance mat. It was absolutely unplayable. Worst game ever!

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Mass Effect 1 and 2 (second being worse)
Planet Alcatraz
oh and Alpha Protocol

I must add that i did not even try the shittiest games like the stuff from Bethesda.

But i am about to play Risen 2, so ...

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dark Souls

And there are 2 games I couldnt play even after heavy patching/modding: mm9 and dark souls.
And while mm9 is just unfinished I rly dont understand how dark souls can be sold as PC game.

Once you discard technical issues, game I had huge problem with because of its combat mechanics was witcher1. Everyone keep saying how one must somehow make it to the town and game will start shining. I did. And I still have to participate in that stupid mouse click minigame which made me quit it for good.

And still, DS is in the official Codex top xx RPGs lists...

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Risen 2 and 3. Jesus fuck guys wtf happened there? Risen was never a fantastic game but at least it was playable.
A quick list of mine:

Oblivion
Mass Effect 2/3
Dragon Age 2
Risen 3
Fallout 4 (and here I was, thinking Beth couldn't fall any lower than F3)
Dark Souls 1/2/x/y (not even an RPG, tbh)
Ultima IX
Fable 2/3
Venetica (if you count the hour I spent puking over my keyboard while trying to play it as actually "playing" it)
PoE
You played Fagout 4?

:shunthenonbeliever:

And PoE too, twice.

:/

Nahel

Arcane
Dragon Age 2 and Oblishit. Each of these games managed to kill their respective developers in my eyes. POE was also extremely disappointing but is not a serious contender for that list. It is mediocre, not a "worst game ever" example.

Cadmus

Arcane
Oh my god, you guys!! I totally forgot!! The worst RPG I've had the honor of playing is Alpha Protocol.
Finally, a clear choice for me. It's the worst of the supposedly okayish RPGs I have ever tried. Sure Baldurs Gate kinda bored me, sure Inquisitor was clunky and boring, sure Diablo 3 was a boring clickfest with a horrible art direction but I simply stopped playing those after a few hours.

Now Alpha Protocol is the supposed golden baby of Avallone's. TRY IT OUT, MAN!! GIVE IT A CHANCE, MAN! THE COMBAT ISN'T GOOD BUT THE C&C IS AMAZING!
Ahahhaa what a bugged piece of shit. Totally unplayable crap with horrible EVERYTHING but the C&C but I'd fucking need to replay it to appreciate the C&C and I didn't even manage to finish it because it bugged out in some fucking boring mission.

Cadmus

Arcane
HUeHUehuaeHEU fuck Alpha Protocol fuck it fuck it I hate it forever
fucking game shit fuck assshit game

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Dark Souls

I once tried to play Jagged Alliance 2 with my dance mat. It was absolutely unplayable. Worst game ever!

Edgy wannabe, DS-apologist, newfag, consoletard detected.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
HUeHUehuaeHEU fuck Alpha Protocol fuck it fuck it I hate it forever
fucking game shit fuck assshit game

Fuck yeah. Forgot it in my minilist. Alpha Protoshit definitively deserves a cookie. Made out of shit. Coated in glazed puke.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Fable 3
PoE
D:OS
Darkest Dungeons
Exile
Omega Syndrome
Baldur's Gate 2
KotOR 2
KotC
Mistmare
Anachronox
Raven's Cry
Underrail
Dink Smallwood

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Dink Smallwood
Ultima IV
Angband
DiabloRL
Rage of Mages 2
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Omega Syndrome
Divine Divinity
Hammer & Sickle

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
  • Albion: One of those games I WANT to like, but playing those first person sections just made me vomit.
  • Wizardry IV - The Return Of Werdna: Who the hell voted on this thing? I'm going to guess people enjoyed it's "challenging" dungeon design, personally I don't get how you're supposed to get even a minute of enjoyment out of this piece of pure torture.
Don't think you're allowed to not like those games here on the Codex. Obviously you're not trying hard enough. Please stay still and a member of staff will be along to deal with you shortly. It will be less painful if you don't struggle.

probably 95% of the people on here who say they like the old wizardries or even the new ones are probably lying and just trying to fit in

such boring tedious games lol

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
There are many things I can forgive and forget but I saw multiple lists with Dink Smallwood on them.

There will be consequences....

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Time to add some more crappy opinions to this list!

I appreciate your list segmentation, but...

Xenogears: Overtly wordy piece of space-nonesense that's up there with its anime-brethren in terms of trite story elements.

You go fuck yourself, sir!* ;)

*Haven't played it since it was released, but loved it back in the day. Opinion subject to change on replay.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Edgy wannabe, DS-apologist, newfag, consoletard detected.

Well, infact i do own a PS3. Its a nice blu ray player, and it had Demons Souls. Thank god i am not one of those dickless people who have to gain their confidence by somehow deluding themselves the use of a certain input method makes them intellectually superior. There are just some games that are better played with a controller. You could ofcourse be a fucking retard about it and complain that the game sucks if you play it in a way youre not supposed to, but well...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom