Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG CODEX - Top Roguelikes - Voting Thread

Vote for every RPG you have played, stating whether you liked it or not.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Thanks in advance to our mods and admins for not helping the cause by making a better looking poll. I'll remember to manifest you in my sleep during lucid dreaming.

Rules of this poll are simply:

- ALWAYS VOTE FOR THE VERY LAST OPTION. It will make accounting for the votes far easier.
- For every nominated game there are two options: "Liked", "Didn't like". Vote only one option for every game you have played. If you haven't played any game, just don't vote for it. Luckily because of how the poll works, I'll still be able to know how many people actually played the game. Please follow point 1 to make my life much easier.
- If you don't like Roguelikes, period, do us a favor and do not vote. I didn't have fun with Rogue, then again, I'm pretty sure I don't like Roguelikes, so my opinion is pointless in this type of voting.

Not much else to say, other than the poll will close in seven days, after which we will have the Codex Certified Most Enjoyed Roguelikes.

The polled games:

- Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM)
- Brogue
- Castle of the Winds
- Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (CDDA)
- Caves of Qud
- Cogmind
- Crypt of the Necrodancer
- Demon
- DRL (formerly DoomRL)
- Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
- Dungeon Hack
- Dungeons of Dredmore
- Dwarf Fortress
- Elona
- Fatal Labyrinth
- Frozen Depths
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- GearHead
- Incursion
- Infra Arcana
- Linley's Dungeon Crawl
- Mission Thunderbolt
- NEO Scavenger
- NetHack
- Omega
- Poschengband
- POWDER
- PRIME
- Rogue (Epyx, 1985, by A.I. Design)
- Sil
- Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME)
- The Ground Gives Way
- Tower of Darkness
- Ultima Ratio Regum
- UnReal World
- Zangband

Vote on!

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm almost certain that poll is an arrangement of CIA code meant to trigger some kind of Manchurian response mechanism.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Well, I'm already liking the results of the poll. Faster Than Light is winning, in that it's the most liked game (11) and has only one dislike (1). Second is Caves of Qud (9 against 1), which is an interesting result. I had expected ADOM and ToME to be the "bests", but the results say they are divisive games (7 to 4 in ADOM, 7 to 5 in ToME).

Dwarf Fortress (with a graphical tileset or the Unity 3D front-end). NetHack (with Vulture graphical interface). /thread

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I don't think I've ever actually played a rougelike game. People always recommend them to me, but I never get around to it. And I'm the type of person who will immediately hate whatever is recommended, so there's that too. But it's a different story when I ask myself, so what would be the best rougelike for a beginner of this series? And what should I expect? If I understand correctly, it's like randomized dungeons and monsters and whatnot? Is Shiren The Wanderer a rougelike game? I've heard that label thrown at it and I've always been interested in that series specifically.

bataille

Arcane
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Play online, there are people that can help you with stuff. Maybe watch some games.
Versions 13-20 have a very friendly UI and a lot of convenient features, which is the main reason to play it as your first game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I don't think I've ever actually played a rougelike game. People always recommend them to me, but I never get around to it. And I'm the type of person who will immediately hate whatever is recommended, so there's that too. But it's a different story when I ask myself, so what would be the best rougelike for a beginner of this series? And what should I expect? If I understand correctly, it's like randomized dungeons and monsters and whatnot? Is Shiren The Wanderer a rougelike game? I've heard that label thrown at it and I've always been interested in that series specifically.

Ever play Diablo?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Ever play Diablo?

Yeah, played them all. I didn't think they were really true rougelikes though. Are they? I mean I guess it fits the description I gave in my post, so I guess they are.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Ever play Diablo?

Yeah, played them all. I didn't think they were really true rougelikes though. Are they? I mean I guess it fits the description I gave in my post, so I guess they are.

They're basically super dumbed-down roguelikes. Give Diablo permadeath and its rogue-lite. Then make it turn-based, add a hunger mechanic, more deadly monsters, traps, diseases, harsher poison mechanics, generally higher difficulty all around, and its a true roguelike.

bataille

Arcane
Diablo is just a bit streamlined real-time angband, barely different (albeit stripped of, I don't know, 95% of all content?).
I don't think that neither of them are very representative of roguelikes as a phenomena. Most of the major roguelikes are more about emergent gameplay, complex simulation and a lot of mechanics that interact with each other in unexpected ways.

Alkarl

Learned
The reason i voted "disliked" on FTL despite actually rather enjoying the game (for what it is...). I dislike its presence on a list of roguelikes.

I said I liked it, simply because I was asked, however I do agree, shouldn't be there. Its about as rogueish as Darkest Dungeons. I recommend swapping out FTL with Sword of The Stars: The Pit.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The reason i voted "disliked" on FTL despite actually rather enjoying the game (for what it is...). I dislike its presence on a list of roguelikes.

That's fair enough. Honestly I was planning to "remove" it from the final results and leave it as an optional, but it makes sense that if this is a roguelike poll, you vote "dislike" for the games you don't think are roguelikes.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Why in God's name is NeoScavenger not in the vote? It made GOTY TOP 3 a couple years ago.

Should have made a simple poll about what games people liked, so that 30 games could be in it instead of just 15.

It's there, Lady. Look closely. "NEO Scavenger".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom