Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2017 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
D:OS was boring and D:OS 2 is no different. Good spell mechanics though. The rest sucks. Someone, please make something decent from this mess. Preferably not Larian because by now I am sure they can't write for shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just look at this, it's pretty funny.
You can always see when a game had tons of worthless fluff that critics love and when a game had actually good gameplay (or something else to make gamers like it).

I love how Dragon Age II appears twice

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've yet to see anyone praise Rance VI for the gameplay.

It's a blobber-lite, as advertised, with squad combat. A couple of interesting maps, sort of like Warriors of the Eternal Sun/ Eye of the Beholder. So I could tolerate it, but play it for the story. A couple of interesting and satisfying boss fights, notably the Hanny King and the "true" final battle.

What really happened was that Rance VI made me believed I could pick up a blobber again, and then Elminage Gothic was my reality check. tbh I haven't enjoyed playing a blobber since Wizardry V. Now you might inquire but what about Wiz 7 to which I exhibit one Ratkin "fun" house.

And tbh when I play a blobber now it doesn't feel like Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. It feels like Dragon Wars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggfinger

Arcane
Following the bleak and morose realization that:

fnXdFM.png

AND

LEey96.png

Plus having informed myself using the very latest scientific studies known to mankind....
86ghao.png

I of course had to award GRIMOIRE an Awesome 4/4 rating!!!

UQkxJE.png

BEHOLD THE INCLINE!
oVQaRq.png

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just look at this, it's pretty funny.
You can always see when a game had tons of worthless fluff that critics love and when a game had actually good gameplay (or something else to make gamers like it).

I love how Dragon Age II appears twice
Three times actually, PS3, PC and Xbox versions are all on the list. NWN2 is also there and it's pretty funny, because from reading the user reviews you'd get the impression that it was bad because it didn't live up to the masterpiece instant classic that was the first NWN.
really killed the NeverWinter Nights franchise, the first one was so epic and awesome
:lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Numanuma - 3/4

I cound't bring myself to rate Numanuma 2/4. Yeah, it was disappointing, but there were some good moments.
Don't worry, you're just on par with mainstream media. 75% = it sucks.

:lol:

I can't say it sucked for me, it was mostly mediocre with some good moments. About 6,5/10 i would say.
Mediocre is 5 if you are going for numeric scale,7 if you go for a prestigious scale where you simply don't play anything bellow 7.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've yet to see anyone praise Rance VI for the gameplay.

It's a blobber-lite, as advertised, with squad combat. A couple of interesting maps, sort of like Warriors of the Eternal Sun/ Eye of the Beholder. So I could tolerate it, but play it for the story. A couple of interesting and satisfying boss fights, notably the Hanny King and the "true" final battle.

What really happened was that Rance VI made me believed I could pick up a blobber again, and then Elminage Gothic was my reality check. tbh I haven't enjoyed playing a blobber since Wizardry V. Now you might inquire but what about Wiz 7 to which I exhibit one Ratkin "fun" house.

And tbh when I play a blobber now it doesn't feel like Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. It feels like Dragon Wars.
I don't get this post, are you quoting a different thread or...? When I clicked the arrow button it goes to felipe's post about Numenera...?

Btw I voted, I didn't play much new games this year but the ones I played (BB, Atelier, Cold Steel, ...) are fun so I gave them at least 3

Last edited by a moderator:

V_K

Arcane
I played exactly 3 games this year: Alvora Tactics, Unexplored and West of Loathing. Loved all 3 of them. Loved my new life with the greatly diminished need to play games even more. Great year!

Septaryeth

Augur
'cause of all the non-whites in it. Plus there's a gay character talking about sex. So progressive. And a tranny God.

Really? I thought it dropped off from the radar really quick, like 1 month post-release.
Mighty No.9 was the butt of the joke that is known as crowdfunding but even then it's no where near the level of scummery like TTON.
I thought Markland's epic revelation would have produce some impacts. Worse-than-publisher intervention from the tabletop people, mismanagements of funding (deceitful use of funding in fact given how it's used on WL2 instead of the actual game), cutback on stretch goal and localizations... etc. The news could have been very sensational given the hype of its KS campaign.
At the very least MCG's instruction "[the characters can't look too Chinese either]" should have raised some eyebrows from pearl-clutching media.

I would like to say Inxile got off lucky, but then again when a game/studio even lacks negative publicity it's probably already dead and buried.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Codexia prevails!

I couldn't gave any game the great score 4. While I really like ELEX, Prey, DivOS2, Spellforce 3 and Battle Brothers, they all have a good amount of issues that shadows their good sides.

Maybe 2018 will be better:(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought Markland's epic revelation would have produce some impacts. Worse-than-publisher intervention from the tabletop people, mismanagements of funding (deceitful use of funding in fact given how it's used on WL2 instead of the actual game), cutback on stretch goal and localizations... etc. The news could have been very sensational given the hype of its KS campaign.

If he wants to produce impacts, he should send his email archive and other proof of mismanagement to Jason Schreier at Kotaku or something, not shitpost about it on the Codex.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just realized, that by avoiding major stinkers I barely played 5 games from the whole list. Also since when is Pyre an RPG?
It's markekted as an RPG, has leveling, character building, and a reactive narrative. As RPG as it gets, the only thing it does differently is that conflict is resolved through a sports game.

valcik

Arcane
Worse-than-publisher intervention from the tabletop people ..
That's nothing new, Steve Jackson have done the same to early GURPS Fallout build two decades back. IIRC he opposed the Heap of Gore technology as over the top violent graphics presentation grinding his gears, before the license withdrawal.
http://www.sjgames.com/ill/1997/ill-feb97.html
Steve Jackson said:
I had problems with a couple of features of the otherwise very impressive alpha version of GURPS Fallout. As I corresponded with Interplay staff about this, I got handed up the ladder but their responses remained puzzling -- and that is the most detail I'm going to give for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom