Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it too late for me to write a reviews for Kotors? After Armored Decline I have a feeling I need to do something good for the world. To counterbalance things. Having a review of games about Jedi from a Jedi will make everything look more trustworthy.

Don't ask. Write.

Kotor 1
Taking place 4 000 BBY Kotor is the first Star Wars crpg. Sadly it does not use it's time frame premise fully and player explore setting pretty similar to those portrayed in OT. Game's success has killed any future attempts at really differentiating that age from the movies and is in direct conflict with previous sources. The strongest point of the first Kotor is an atmosphere of the adventure. Bioware attempt at making a light, not too serious but enjoyable and in many places engaging story proved successful. Looking for a nice, even if not vary demanding SW tale? Just stop reading and go for it. You will have a great time. Game offers some good companions (HK-47), some great companions (Jolee Bindo) mixed with a good on average narrative. Main story is nothing more than you would expect from your average Star Wars EU book or comics, but it is quite competently done. Some may raise the famous plot twist against my notion, but I think it's overrated. Some places the player visits are really solid and offer good c&c opportunities, like Academy on Korriban full of always double crossing Siths or desperately trying to be neutral planet Manaan which holds valuable healing resources for waging war against one another Republic and Sith. We have a planet Dantooine, which although have a bad map design ,it offers a really charming atmosphere,partially due to the great Jeremy Soul soundtrack. Some locations are really bad like the railroaded and poorly area designed dungeon which was made of Kashyyyk. Main villain is totally bland and uninspired, nearly a definition of Star Wars stock Sith. Many times choices between good and evil feel like they came straight from 50s cartoon. Combat is just bad, weak mechanically, not offering any challenge, having atrocious combat encounter(which in case of a first battle with the main villain leads to quite humorous total failure at creating a feeling of immanent threat ), non existent AI and few battle options. However it's good looking sword fighting animations and the lack of hp bloats and any need or even possibility of grinding make it quite fast and not annoying, even enjoyable if one not seek any qualities of a good combat and just treats it as pauses in narrative. Overall Kotor is a solid choice for anybody loving Star Wars and preferring narrative over combat.

Kotor II comes in day or two.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Taking place 4 000 BBY Kotor is the first Star Wars crpg. Sadly it does not use it's time frame premise fully and player explore setting pretty similar to those portrayed in OT. Game's success has killed any future attempts at really differentiating that age from the movies and is in direct conflict with previous sources.
So true... I liked so much the weird mixture of fantasy & crude sci-fi the EU stories around this era had...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't read any EU shit but it's laughable the technology 4,000 years before the movies is identical. Quite the eye-roll.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I thought they had reached a point of technological stagnation, with interplanetary travel being a casual thing there's not much else to do.
They did the same thing, but the technology had a more primitive/fantasy feel... the Sith used actual swords, and the jedi had proto-sabers, that were attached to a battery pack on their back. Space travel was also kind of magical, with crystals and such... and it all had a kind of sci-fi pharaoh look:

sith_dynasty___naga_sadow_by_leadzero-d2ym5ux.jpg
tfotse12.jpg
swgasp1.jpg
exarkun2.jpg
830px-Corbosbattle.jpg

Alchemist

Arcane
That imagery looks very cool felipepepe - what are the sources (book / comic titles, etc...)? Looks much more Barsoom / Edgar Rice Burroughs than the usual Star Wars. I love that kind of stuff.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That imagery looks very cool felipepepe - what are the sources (book / comic titles, etc...)? Looks much more Barsoom / Edgar Rice Burroughs than the usual Star Wars. I love that kind of stuff.
It's from the Tales of the Jedi comic series. IMHO they are the best thing that came of the SW Expanded Universe, and are heavily referenced in the KOTOR games. They have been collected into two Omnibus volumes, and are definitely worth the read.

aratuk

Cipher
Came across this "Directory of CRPGs": http://www.weekendwastemonster.net/crpgs/directory.html

It's someone's list of incline, up to date with recent projects, and classics, plus a lot of weird old amateur projects I've never heard of before. Extensive pages dedicated to abandonware, much of which is actually self-hosted and available to download, along with patches and manuals. It's fairly mysterious (just look at the homepage), but a pretty great site, really. Does it belong to somebody here on the codex? They are on Twitter, where I just became their 8th follower…

Edit: Wayback says it's been there at least since 2010, so not new.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
Came across this "Directory of CRPGs": http://www.weekendwastemonster.net/crpgs/directory.html

It's someone's list of incline, up to date with recent projects, and classics, plus a lot of weird old amateur projects I've never heard of before. Extensive pages dedicated to abandonware, much of which is actually self-hosted and available to download, along with patches and manuals. It's fairly mysterious (just look at the homepage), but a pretty great site, really. Does it belong to somebody here on the codex? They are on Twitter, where I just became their 8th follower…

I believe that site belongs to Codexer dragonbait - as it appears in their signature. Nice list indeed - I sometimes look at it for obscure stuff to try out I might have missed.

dragonbait

Augur

Hi Aratuk, thanks for following. Someone else on twitter had already taken the name dragonbait, so I am @orcchief there. Glad you and others like the CRPG directory. I'm always looking around for new (and old) interesting crpg projects so I often lurk and search the codex and other rpg related sites/forums.

aratuk

Cipher
Hi Aratuk, thanks for following. Someone else on twitter had already taken the name dragonbait, so I am @orcchief there. Glad you and others like the CRPG directory. I'm always looking around for new (and old) interesting crpg projects so I often lurk and search the codex and other rpg related sites/forums.

Looking at your site, I thought "This person has to be on the Codex," and, sure enough! Definitely keep up the good work! Now I get to play with this old RPG that somebody programmed in QBASIC…

dragonbait

Augur

Looking at your site, I thought "This person has to be on the Codex," and, sure enough! Definitely keep up the good work! Now I get to play with this old RPG that somebody programmed in QBASIC…

I think by now, the codex hivemind must have infected my brain, but then again there really is no other site on the net that brings in so many knowledgeable rpg fans to the same place, so I must be in the right place. By the way, felipepepe incredible job putting together the top 50 crpgs!

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik

I once tried to go through every game on that link. I got to L I think.

Exar Kun

Scholar
Interestingly enough I would be willing to bet Obsidian's story line for the scrapped KOTOR 3 would include the "true" Sith Empire from these comics as the main enemy.

Kotor II, as promised :
Vastly superior sequel to Kotor 1 and the first work of reemerged Black Isle - Obsidian. Game made by betrayed developers which release was rushed due to the betrayal includes the theme of betrayal. Main story and a big chunk of dialogues was written by Magnificent Chris Avellone. Taking place in the Galaxy wounded by previous wars, Kotor II throw away it's prequel's adventure feel and goes for a deeper and grimmer narrative about the Exile Jedi roaming across the desolate Galaxy. Her story is very good but the truly exceptional is her mentor companion- Kreia. Most of the game's strong points are due to this character ,so if you won't find her interesting satisfaction level goes down. She will lecture you with her Spencer-Nietzschean philosophy through the whole course of the game. Having a deep, mysterious and intellectual personality, marvelously written lines and great voiceover ( by Sara Kestelman) she has a decent chance of winning the first place in any just contest for the best RPGs character ever, rivaling even those from Torment. Alongside with a more interesting than before HK-47, Atris, Sion, Nihilius Kotor II introduces many memorable characters. Using them MCA makes a deconstruction of Star Wars universe. Due to the game being released too early and by surprise it's recommended to use content restoring mod. Game has a superbly soundtrack by James Soule. It's map design is as bad as in a first installment. Combat is surprisingly even more broken because of the halted development mixed with a desperate try to improve it. Usually to really break a game mechanics player needs to experiment , but now not breaking it requires some heavy experimentation and planning. In the end Kotor II is as all great rps are, a flawed gem. Maybe because bad rpgs are only flawed and really bad are a flawed piece of shit.

Fallout, I felt inspired today, maybe too inspired:
How to describe Fallout? Who is worthy enough to describe it? Fallout is like a matrix, you must learn it by yourself. Some say Fallout is a magnificent Mark Morgan soundtrack,I bow to him but is not enough. Some say it is great reactivity, I say they overstate it. Soma may point to a wonderful character creations system, but it's still is not satisfying enough answer and having more cynical mood ,through still admiring it ,I may start talking about it's flaws. Combat system? Oh a glorious critical hit sound! But it's still no IT. Game fitting visuals? Still just a part. Great writing? You are close, but not close enough.A feel? Maybe yes, maybe not. A love poured by a great man, desperate to make a game, he wanted to make? So close, but that's not everything. More than a sum of it's parts? Always true you smartass, but not true enough. I think.... I think that what we are dealing with is a superior world building. Masterclass world building, in fact. Think of any Fallout city. You can describe it well economically and even somehow politically and socially. How many times you were feed with those informations? How many times were they forced down you throat? Never? I think so. Game never forces it's narrative. (ok, with an exception of a counter...). It's arises naturally. Every quest somehow expands it without forcing anything. Think of a missing caravan quest. It has just one solution. Piece of shit then? No because it has something else. It blends with the games world. It's lore touches many things on many levels, expands them and overlaps with other game's stories. Random quest which explains (together with a far away skill check) an origin story of a main antagonist. But it does not spoon fed it! By the virtue of being told by not omniscient, subjective and subjective according to his own personality, character, story gets life. We also have a look into a city economical lore, because quest is not forced onto a game world, it's a logical outcome out of it. Of it and of every involved npcs decision. It's a sandbox game, but everything feels as it may as well be a part of a main quest. In a good way. Why there are so many caravan companies? Because narrative must feel real. Why the Vault 15 dead end? Harsh reality. Why nagging people with your water chip issue? Because thrown in the given scenario you would nag them yourself, wouldn't you? Exploding Master without meeting him is not a choice ,it is a world building, the same way as an empty Glow is. It's a world building because sometimes people do things not knowing what they are doing. But there is one last thing. Why Audytum feels worse than other parts of the game? The idea is net and needed in that world, reactivity is in there, all is in there, it seems, but still it is only very good, not excellent like the rest of the game. Maybe it's because you not feel a Cathedral looming over it as it should? Maybe there is a departure from a world logic, which breaks the magic? Maybe I am wrong, but question should nevertheless be answered, because whoever posses a solution to the Audytum issue, he or she may hold a key of ascending rpgs to the greatness. In the end anybody who understands Fallout will not became a mere mutant but a nightkin.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's from the Tales of the Jedi comic series. IMHO they are the best thing that came of the SW Expanded Universe, and are heavily referenced in the KOTOR games. They have been collected into two Omnibus volumes, and are definitely worth the read.
I'm not sure which era of TotS I like better: Exar Kun's fall from grace or the one Jedi brother that fought Mandalore (and was the "inspiration" for the Revan/Canderous subplot, and yes I mean to imply ripoff).

eremita

Savant
"Vastly superior sequel to Kotor 1 and the first work of reemerged Black Isle - Obsidian. Game made by betrayed developers which release was rushed due to the betrayal includes the theme of betrayal. Main story and a big chunk of dialogues was written by Magnificent Chris Avellone. Taking place in the Galaxy wounded by previous wars, Kotor II throw away it's prequel's adventure feel and goes for a deeper and grimmer narrative about the Exile Jedi roaming across the desolate Galaxy. Her story is very good but the truly exceptional is her mentor companion- Kreia. Most of the game's strong points are due to this character ,so if you won't find her interesting satisfaction level goes down. She will lecture you with her Spencer-Nietzschean philosophy through the whole course of the game. Having a deep, mysterious and intellectual personality, marvelously written lines and great voiceover ( by Sara Kestelman) she has a decent chance of winning the first place in any just contest for the best RPGs character ever, rivaling even those from Torment. Alongside with a more interesting than before HK-47, Atris, Sion, Nihilius Kotor II introduces many memorable characters. Using them MCA makes a deconstruction of Star Wars universe."

Fucking fanboys :roll:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Vastly superior sequel to Kotor 1 and the first work of reemerged Black Isle - Obsidian. Game made by betrayed developers which release was rushed due to the betrayal includes the theme of betrayal. Main story and a big chunk of dialogues was written by Magnificent Chris Avellone. Taking place in the Galaxy wounded by previous wars, Kotor II throw away it's prequel's adventure feel and goes for a deeper and grimmer narrative about the Exile Jedi roaming across the desolate Galaxy. Her story is very good but the truly exceptional is her mentor companion- Kreia. Most of the game's strong points are due to this character ,so if you won't find her interesting satisfaction level goes down. She will lecture you with her Spencer-Nietzschean philosophy through the whole course of the game. Having a deep, mysterious and intellectual personality, marvelously written lines and great voiceover ( by Sara Kestelman) she has a decent chance of winning the first place in any just contest for the best RPGs character ever, rivaling even those from Torment. Alongside with a more interesting than before HK-47, Atris, Sion, Nihilius Kotor II introduces many memorable characters. Using them MCA makes a deconstruction of Star Wars universe."

Fucking fanboys :roll:
Vastly superior sequel to betrayed Kotor 1 and the first work of betrayed Black Isle - betrayed Obsidian. Game made by betrayed developers which betrayed release was rushed due to the betrayal includes the theme of betrayal. Main story and a big chunk of betrayed dialogues was written by Magnificent betrayed Chris Avellone. Taking place in the Galaxy betrayed by previous wars, Kotor II throw away it's prequel's betrayed adventure feel and goes for a deeper and betrayed narrative about the betrayed Exile Jedi roaming across the betrayed Galaxy. Her story is very good but the truly exceptional is her mentor companion- betrayed Kreia. Most of the game's strong points are due to this character ,so if you won't find her betrayed satisfaction level goes down. She will lecture you with her Spencer-Nietzschean betrayed philosophy through the whole course of the betrayed game. Having a deep, mysterious and intellectual betrayed personality, marvelously written lines and great voiceover ( by betrayed Sara Kestelman) she has a decent chance of winning the first place in any just contest for the best betrayed RPGs character ever, rivaling even those from betrayed Torment. Alongside with a more betrayed than before HK-47, Atris, Sion, Nihilius Kotor II introduces many memorable betrayed characters. Using them betrayed MCA makes a deconstruction of betrayed Star Wars universe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom