Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Question about some of the top 50 games: Are JA2: Unfinished Business & Wildfire considered expansions of the main game (thus part of the top 50 game) or stand alone games, in and of themselves? Same with Morrowind's Tribunal & Bloodmoon, BG2's ToB, Icewind Dale's Trial of the Luremaster & HoW, etc.?

Do we consider those "expansions" as being part of the top 50 game?

Last edited:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd imagine that some strategy games like Alpha Centauri, Civ 2, HoMM 2/3 would give the top-5 RPGs some competition.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe. . S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl? Or Half Life 2, or Portal. Not all that high on the list, though. The Secret of Monkey Island? Myst? Max Payne?

jdinatale

Cipher
Why doesn't this forum consider Diablo II to be a real CRPG? Surely it is as much of an RPG as the Divinity franchise, The Witcher 2, Alpha Protocol, System Shock, among the other action oriented RPG's on the list?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would also argue against the idea that Diablo 2 (and other click-click-loot games) are on the same RPG level as Witcher 2 and other games mentioned. Witcher 2 has a hell of a lot of narrative choice and some rather interesting quests, Diablo 2 has neither. And while Alpha Brotocol is an action hybrid stats matter a LOT in how competent you are with your class and equipment. The main focus of Diablo 2 is grinding for loot, and you might notice not a lot of the top 50 games in the voting focused on loot exclusively.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom