Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
These shitty newfags need to step up their game or get the fuck out.
No you. And this list.

But do kids love turn-based tactical combat? I don't think so.
didn't kids play Final Fantasy and Pokemon? Both became the best selling rpg franchises
And lots of talking.
what about you post your own list of top 50 rpgs you've played

okay, don't have to be 50, i think 10 is enough

(then we can either laugh at it or realize that you're right tht this list is actually dumb and be your sex slaves or something as an apology)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This list is dumb, you could just google "list of RPG's" and paste it here and it would be no different. Get some standards.

:hmmm:

Some of the games you like are pretty inclined, but here's some representative samples from top google listing for top 50 RPGs.

RPG2.png

RPG5.png

And of course:

RPG6.png

:abyssgazer:

On the bright side, it appears Kingdoms of Amalur is "worth it." "I promise you it's worth it," should be a Codex smiley.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
"allowing the hardcore to go boots deep"

Yeah. Boots deep in criticizing that turd.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
but here's some representative samples from top google listing for top 50 RPGs.
Meh there are a lot of lists and most of them are the same as this one. This is just like a list of random old RPG's made by dimwits pretending to be l33t.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
This is just like a list of random old RPG's made by dimwits pretending to be l33t.
And who are you to write things like that, you combatfaggy dipshit :lol:
I don't get the combatfag thing... It is 99% of what you do in every RPG. If you don't appreciate good combat yet you play an RPG, you are a retard. It is a simple fact. Who am I? Apparently someone with enough of an IQ to understand that simple fact at least. I'm also someone who played most of those games on that last and know that some of them are just straight up crap. Some of it is debatable, I don't like Planescape but I get why some people do. But stuff like Risen is just total shit and there is no justification for liking it, unless you are stupid and don't know the many better alternatives.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But stuff like Risen is just total shit and there is no justification for liking it, unless you are stupid and don't know the many better alternatives.
These alternatives being?

(Inb4 Two worlds)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
But stuff like Risen is just total shit and there is no justification for liking it, unless you are stupid and don't know the many better alternatives.

(Inb4 Two worlds)
There are a million RPG's you could play before you start scraping the barrel for shit like Risen. First you should play Eye of the beholder 1+2+3, Lands of Lore, Neverwinter Nights and 2 expansions, NWN2 and three expansions, Stonekeep, BG 1 and 2 and expansions, ToEE, Might & Magic 6+7+10, Bloodlines and Masquerade, DoS, Anachronox, Summoner 1+2, Dark Messiah, etc..etc.... Oh yeah and Two Worlds.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

(Inb4 Two worlds)
There are a million RPG's you could play before you start scraping the barrel for shit like Risen. First you should play Eye of the beholder 1+2+3, Lands of Lore, Neverwinter Nights and 2 expansions, NWN2 and three expansions, Stonekeep, BG 1 and 2 and expansions, ToEE, Might & Magic 6+7+10, Bloodlines and Masquerade, DoS, Anachronox, Summoner 1+2, Dark Messiah, etc..etc.... Oh yeah and Two Worlds.

You remind me of a friend of mine who has inexplicably good taste and yet inexplicably terrible taste, obeying some impassioned inner logic that is divorced from humanity's shared sense of aesthetic decency.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Gothic series over Risen = fine.

Telling someone to play BG over Risen = retarded. They are nowhere near similar games, and they offer vastly different experiences, regardless of how good or bad those may be.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You remind me of a friend of mine who has inexplicably good taste and yet inexplicably terrible taste, obeying some impassioned inner logic that is divorced from humanity's shared sense of aesthetic decency.
Lol like what do you think is bad taste? Just Two Worlds?

Telling someone to play BG over Risen = retarded. They are nowhere near similar games, and they offer vastly different experiences, regardless of how good or bad those may be.
It doesn't matter if they are different, they are all RPGs and the good ones deserve to be on the list, and the bad ones deserve to gtfo.

I already did a few pages ago. It was better than this list.

sureee
I'll make a better list later.

Arcanum is on top 10, that game is nearly unplayable.
It's also really stupid that games like Neverwinter Nights 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are even on the list.
Wow a non blind person shows up.

This list is dumb, you could just google "list of RPG's" and paste it here and it would be no different. Get some standards.

:hmmm:

Some of the games you like are pretty inclined, but here's some representative samples from top google listing for top 50 RPGs.

RPG2.png

RPG5.png

And of course:

RPG6.png

:abyssgazer:

On the bright side, it appears Kingdoms of Amalur is "worth it." "I promise you it's worth it," should be a Codex smiley.

It's amazing that those mainstream list's writing always sound like it was written by the PR team trying to sound casual, "hip" and pretending to be critical. It sounds like they did not enjoy those games and wrote their list as quickly as possible, by copying popular bits about them from the internet. You may say it applies the same to all "gaming journalism" but minimalistic writing of those lists makes it stand out even more.

Jason Liang

Arcane
So when do we get to revote this? Age of Decadence, Path of Exile, Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC and Darkest Dungeon all in the top 50 amirite?

Aaron Burr

Educated
So when do we get to revote this? Age of Decadence, Path of Exile, Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC and Darkest Dungeon all in the top 50 amirite?

After release of the most anticipated game in history of RPGCodex, Grimoire, there will be a new poll.

Curious to see where Underrail places, Divinity: OS deserves to be on there as well. Plenty of good titles in the last couple of years (well, 2015 at least) that might knock out a few of the "filler" titles.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Because they aren't out yet? And doing a list right after a game comes out is a bad idea, due to hype, billions of patches, etc...

So either we do it in January, before the new releases, or we wait until they hype dies down and the GOTY / Remaster / Editor's Cut versions come out.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is no point in doing a comprehensive list like that every other year with all the same games on it, even if there might be a handful of newcomers. We should vote on a more specialized topic to keep things more interesting.

Best RPG so far of the Renaissance? Best RPG of the 80s? 90s? 2000s? Best Storyfag RPG ever? Best Combatfag RPG ever?

Something like that.

Or maybe we just make a list for only 2013-2016 games? It would be interesting in its own right and would help to sort out the chaos of having so many new games. It would also make a ground for some of those games to compete with well established games of the past in an inevitable new RPG list of all times.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That's a great idea - games from 2013-2016, aka the "RPG Renaissance".

That covers all the Kickstarter RPGs, surprises like Blackguards, NEO Scavenger, Tale of Wuxia and Might & Magic X, as well as PC ports like Dragon's Dogma, Stranger in Sword City, Elminage, Salt & Sanctuary, Trails in the Sky, etc..

Then we get to see how great things really are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom