Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Maker Contest - Xi and Crooked Bee win!

GOTY a.k.a. RPG MAKER contest

• Total voters

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I've not figured out how to do that, but it is something I want to consider to sex up some of the stuff I'm doing.
It's extremely simple, just pick the "Character: Show Animation" command, at the second page of the Event Command list.

Renegen

Arcane
So I've played...

Xu Fugui's game, a lot of funny dialogue and great music, not one song that I recognized.
Broseph's game, Dawkins kicked my ass, didn't finish.
Crooked Bee's game, nice story there with Cleve but died to Brenda because Cleve has no healing, I think it wasn't the end of the game. Also found it strange it's making fun of the situation but then provides a link to his Indiegogo campaign, CODEX KNEW ABOUT ITZ, INCOMING LAWSUITS.
Niektory's game, clever puzzle game.

I was surprised to see some pretty big gameplay flaws in most of the games (not naming anyone), like not having save spots in front of bosses, or having a challenging combat system without many tactical options resulting in pure grind, or puzzles with no clues how to solve them, too much trial and error, Sawyer would not be proud.

Problem with all the games though, they are not full screen but just a tiny screen.

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
The entire game is an allegory for how liberalism always wins, that's why random encounters are so difficult and the first and final fights are unwinnable. :dance:
I was talking about the first fight!

Jk, the balance would've been great if the combat system was more interesting, it felt the closest to a real RPG at times.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Crooked Bee's game, nice story there with Cleve but died to Brenda because Cleve has no healing, I think it wasn't the end of the game. Also found it strange it's making fun of the situation but then provides a link to his Indiegogo campaign, CODEX KNEW ABOUT ITZ, INCOMING LAWSUITS.

You can beat Brenda, it's more a matter of luck than skill though.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The entire game is an allegory for how liberalism always wins, that's why random encounters are so difficult and the first and final fights are unwinnable. :dance:

Jk, the balance would've been great if the combat system was more interesting, it felt the closest to a real RPG at times.

Play mine then, I just finished uploading a new version with some bug fixes.

http://www.filedropper.com/daysofspring_1

Zed, could you update the OP link?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haven't played most of the games yet, but the ones I have are pretty great. Good job, guys! Gonna play some more today.

You mean the lava pit, or something else? That's the first ending I got. Now just finished a run to face Robert. Gonna check commie next

Yeah, the lava pit. But there's also a secret ending if you use the Sense too many times in the hallway of Sirotek's bunker. So, three "bad" endings in total including losing to Brenda.

died to Brenda because Cleve has no healing
Clearly, you need to farm penisaurii for pizzas! (each of them restores 30% hp)

That, or there's a pizza hidden in the room with the portrait puzzle, too. In my battle tests, one pizza provided enough healing to confidently beat Brenda 90% of the time.

Also found it strange it's making fun of the situation but then provides a link to his Indiegogo campaign

The "Grimoire4Lyfe" link isn't real :M

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Niektory's game is just plain awesome. Great step-based exploration complete with skill-based environment interaction. You should totally make a proper dungeon crawler or roguelike game out of this, no kidding. I'd buy it.

Moving on to the other games now.

Last edited:

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Niektory's game is just plain awesome. Great step-based exploration complete with skill-based environment interaction. You should totally make a proper dungeon crawler or roguelike game out of this, no kidding. I'd buy it.

Moving on to the other games now.
Thanks!
I might actually do it someday, I think a lot can be done with this concept. Not anytime soon though, I'm currently busy with another large project.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Xi's game is impressive. Unfinished, true, but very atmospheric and has a lot of potential. It could be a very good classic-style RPG in its own right.

felipepepe's game is hilarious, if waaay too short. (Yeah, I know, you were busy with other stuff.) Who doesn't want to be a dragon? :P

Turning into a dragon and then being "wiped out" by a cat was a fun moment. The cat should've been black though. :M Then that would've made sense, too!

I hoped I would get to explore/get out of the cell, but yeah, the game's short.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
When I started making the game, I wanted it to have various bizzare paths all leading to one ending. So you could become the Hero of the Land after escaping prison, becoming a dragon, escaping from hell or going the "normal way", but... you know... :|

Crooked Bee

Patron
When I started making the game, I wanted it to have various bizzare paths all leading to one ending. So you could become the Hero of the Land after escaping prison, becoming a dragon, escaping from hell or going the "normal way", but... you know... :|

Weeeell, maybe we could do another similar contest in the future (provided there's any interest, of course), for which you could make this into a fuller-fledged game :3

I could do Episode 2 of the Grimoire Scrolls Superdemo too :P

Crooked Bee

Patron
Fucking Penisaurus. And only 1 XP? :argh:

Git gud :M

Seriously, WTF? You can bring it down in like a few hits. Just
use Neanderthal Roar + Neanderthal Dance or Rampage, and it goes down in two or maximum three hits

Generally, Neanderthal Roar is a must for any combat encounter.

As for XP, you're lvl99 Neanderthal already, man. It doesn't get better than that.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm just briefly trying some of these out.....

And I FINALLY can be a dragon! ;)

11153.png

:lol:

Last edited:

Xi

Arcane

When you start a new project, their are filler balance, items, monsters, skills, classes, levels, etc. It lets you jump right to the design of the world and story if you want. Broseph more or less used the base project balancing and renamed/redid a few things. It's actually pretty solid in terms of balance. If you grind out levels you probably could defeat the end-encounter with enough effort (prob not worth the time though). If anything it's probably the most balanced project for this reason. My chars were level 17 with decent gear after about 45mins of play. Also, if you use Iraeneus's heal (and buy Mana potions) it trivializes pretty much the entire game because you can fully heal after combat. Athe, on the other hand, does quite a bit of damage, so you need to be able to survive a single hit of about 2000 damage to last. I'm willing to bet that by level 30 with all the best gear, this wouldn't be a problem (at least you'd start lasting a few rounds - not to mention your party is dealing 750-1K+ damage per hit at that point).

You could sex up the base balancing to include quite a bit, and there are dozens of hidden modifiers that you can attach to just about everything (I tried communicating some of them in item descriptions in my own game - and provided a special status window to see most of them as you equip things).

Crooked Bee

Patron
Crooked Bee
I've solved the 5 riddles and got the nyin but I can't figure out what to do with the tree. I think I'll need a little hint. :negative:

Nothing :P The Tree of Life is a Kabbalah reference. It is the Sephiroth tree, which *is* the human body:

13-sephiroth2_small.jpg

So actually, the Tree of Life is meant to flesh out the riddles for those who know stuff about the Sephiroth (and also a Black Cat tie-in in a way). It isn't a separate puzzle.

It's also a Wizardry 4 reference, since the final dungeon in Wiz4 was modeled after the Sephiroth Tree aka Tree of Life. :P

So, once you've got the puzzles figured out and got the nyin, just go through the door. For an additional easter egg ending, try using the Neanderthal Sense repeatedly in the next area.

Also I hope you got the lava room ending already, since it kind of complements the ending you're about to get.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Crooked Bee
Oh cool, didn't get the reference. I had a feeling I was missing something from the riddles. Good that you had mercy and made sure they were solvable anyway. :)
I still can't leave the room. The southern exit "has disappeared", and "an invisible barrier pushes me back" from the norther one. A bug?
I've got "lost to Brenda" and "using a teleporter" endings so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom