Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG of the year?

Which rpg is the best this year?

• ELEX

Votes: 59 18.1%
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 56 17.2%
  • Expeditions: Viking

Votes: 23 7.1%
  • Divinity:Original sin 2

Votes: 92 28.2%
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Spellforce 3

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • The Surge

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Nier: Automata

Votes: 20 6.1%
  • Galaxy of Pen & Paper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pyre

• Cat Quest

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hand of Fate 2

• Battle Chasers: Nightwar

• Mages of Mystralia

• Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • West of Loathing

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Vaporum

• Seven: The Days Long Gone

• Demons Age

• Hyakki Castle

• The Keep

• Willy-Nilly Knight

• Ticket to Earth

• Devoid of Shadows

• Children of Zodiarcs

• Fall of Light

• Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • QueenComrade!!!

Votes: 27 8.3%

• Total voters

Deleted Member 16721

5 reasons I think ELEX is better than NV:

1. New Vegas is way more cramped and smaller-feeling in scope and size than ELEX.
2. ELEX has the slowest, richest progression in any open-world RPG ever.
3. The world is the most dangerous open-world in an RPG ever.
4. There are unparalled complexities going on behind the scenes in ELEX regarding choice & consequence. Most C&C with mutually exclusive, impacting consequences of any open-world RPG ever.
5. Much more interesting exploration in ELEX (5 biomes that they somehow managed to make work within the scope of the world, i.e. not cramped feeling at all. Tons of ruins and things to find, "danger areas" where you need radiation/cold/heat/poison protection to explore. While everything is hand-placed, including every. Single. Chest. And more.)

Just my 2. Disclaimer again: I need to play more New Vegas as I only spent 60 hours with it on launch, beat it and moved on (feeling underwhelmed after.)
Look, I love me some Elex, but you have got to be kidding me.

1. Pretty sure F:NV's 8.5 square kilometer map is bigger than Elex's.
2. Elex's progression is similar to every other Piranha Bytes game, and it's not nearly as rich as Gothic or Gothic 2. You run away from everything until level 8-12, then combat is very enjoyable for a while, then you become insanely overpowered and it gets boring. Your stats don't even affect anything other than gating equipment and skills (and there are a lot of junk skills). Plus, Elex potions can make progression feel cheap and unsatisfying. Have you played Gothic??
3. See again, Gothics and Risen.
4. There is much more choice and consequence in New Vegas, it's not even close. The endgame also has a lot more options, whereas Elex totally railroads you at the end. Nearly all of F:NV's C&C is mutually exclusive. They make it more transparent, granted, but there are still plenty of unintended consequences in New Vegas. I can't even believe someone would say that there's more C&C in Elex. I really think this is just recency bias and you simply don't remember New Vegas that well.

Moreover, no choices/content are affected by your stats in Elex, and not that many are affected by your skills. F:NV has tons of stuff that varies by build. It's waaaaay more reactive, too.

5. Elex certainly has more variety of landscapes, but Ignadon and Xacor suck. And as much as I like the game, it's kind of incoherent. New Vegas is all wasteland, but it's tight.

Two more points: New Vegas has much better writing/dialogue, like infinitely better. New Vegas has a better story, infinitely better. New Vegas has much better gunplay (never thought I'd say that), although melee is better in Elex until you get dramatically overpowered.
I'm not going to bother typing an essay but ELEX's world is roughly 10 times more interesting to explore than New Vegas to me. No offense, Obsidian. :) Yes, the wasteland is tight. So tight it's smothering. Cramped even. ELEX gives a HUGE sense of scale and scope, simply massive. And overall is much more interesting to explore for my tastes.

And what RPGs are you playing where Ignadon and Xacor suck? If those areas lack a bit of content they more than make up for it with sheer atmospheric exploration. Tall, looming converters that you can just make out beyond the snow squalls. Lava flows with intense heat areas that can kill you in a second. They are HUGE in that aspect.

I also like the story of ELEX a lot. It's on par with NV, IMO a bit better for my tastes. I specifically like the lore of ELEX the substance, the way the factions choose to use it is interesting and I just think it's a fresh take on sci-fi and fantasy. Magic vs. machine is done in a cool, kind of actually believable way. And in contrast of playtime I spent 60 hours with New Vegas when it came out and finished it, underwhelmed, while I'm already at 160 with ELEX and haven't beat the game yet. New Vegas had a terrible ending, too. And that area where they hit you with heat-seeking missiles constantly, ugh. I hope that is never seen in an RPG again. :)

I have no idea how much total C&C ELEX has, but there has been silly amounts of it so far in my playtime, with already 6 or 7 characters dying "that will change the course of the story." Some huge characters, some seemingly not, but nonetheless choices galore at every turn. Organic deaths can change the story, too, most of it is not even scripted so you can slaughter pretty much anyone and the story will change accordingly. I've seen some really funny attention to detail things, like actual NPCs being replaced if something happens to them, or if someone says they will send guards to an area, later on you may return and actually see the guards milling about. For their budget and manpower, this stuff was pretty impressive.

And a cool overlooked feature, sometimes even the order in which you select dialogue options can affect the outcome. Quick example, I was questioning a worker for his employer because his employer thought he was acting funny. I was asking him basic questions, and then said fuck it, let's tell him I'm working for the employer because I don't really like the employer anyway. All of these options were basic dialogue choices from the start of the convo, btw. Well, the dude got angry that I didn't tell him that from the beginning, saying I'm suspicious now. :D Now he won't talk to me, the game says "George is angry with you." (you can turn this notification on or off, btw. And some NPCs will love you, respect you, adore you, and things change accordingly.) Anyway, I actually got locked out of a quest based on those choices. Not sure if I can get it back now unless I can find some way smooth the guy over (you can make amends with NPCs in different ways.). Most RPGs would heavily script that, but this was completely organic in the dialogue options.

I also got hit with a fine later on in the game by the Berserkers. They found out I was involved in a theft, and if I wanted to join I had to pay a huge fine. And the way the factions like the Berserkers decide if you can join or not, Ragnar will actually weigh your actions. So you can actually make negative actions (which requires you to do more or more impacting positive actions), or positive actions. Once you tilt the scale enough you can join them. I thought that was cool (also in Risen, I know, but cool to see return in ELEX.)

Not to mention the factions and just overall choices, choices everywhere. But whether it's more or less than NV, I don't know, but I kno it's a lot, and certainly more than any other open-world RPG other than NV.

Finally, better gunplay? Not to me. ELEX also has excellent combat. You can use melee and ranged while jetpacking. You can fly around, fling grenades, take pop shots, land, dodge out of the way, maybe climb over a rock. It's intense and fun as hell later in the game. All ranged weapons have 3 unique types of ammo that do different things (similar to other RPGs), and your choices even of weapons/armor/items will be based on your character build, so you won't be able to use every ranged weapon in the game for a long time. Running from things for 8-12 hours is hyperbole, the game tells you to find a friend to help you survive, i.e. Duras, and you only have to avoid stronger critters (you can handle runts which litter the map.) It's like a survival game at the start, which is also more interesting to me and a unique idea that more RPGs should build on and try, it works well in ELEX.

Junk skills? Not really. Low excitement skills, sure, like typical PB games. Each skill point is worthwhile, progression takes ages (even longer than Gothic IMO) and is very strict, which IMO is a great thing. And also very impacting. One level in a skill with the right equipment can make a huge, noticeable difference. There are even survival skills that change gameplay, like being able to see enemies on the minimap or camouflage yourself so you don't attract stronger enemies as easily. ELEX potions lock you into Cold choices which changes things in the story and quests. But they are there if you want to go wild and become a synthetic murder machine devoid of emotions. :)

It's the most interesting open-world RPG I've played since Skyrim. Best open-world overall since Morrowind (despite grand differences, yeah.) It's damn good. And while I have to play New Vegas more sometime, I'd play ELEX a second time, for sure. And yes, I've played Gothic 1/2/3/Risen 1/2/3 and beat most of them (you can view my Gothic 2 Let's Play on my YT channel, and my current Gothic 3 LP is going on now.)

So I guess I did write an essay. If you read all of this, please go do something useful with your life. K ty.

You really need to replay New Vegas. Everything you like about Elex’s faction system it does at least as well or better (you even have that same “what have you done for me/against me” conversation with Caesar, but it’s not just him reading a list—your dialogue options matter).

Look, I liked Elex a lot, but the stuff you gush about is mostly stuff PB was already doing fifteen years ago so let’s not act like it’s unprecedented. Again, this is why I think you’re suffering from a major case of recency bias.

If the whole game was Goliet/Abessa quality then you’d have a much stronger case. Unfortunately Tavar has a lot less going on, and there’s almost nothing to do in Ignadon outside of the Hort—and even in the Hort there’s very few quests, much less reactivity, and much less interactivity. Same goes for Xacor; sure it’s pretty, so what? The main quest also gets worse and worse (and unlike New Vegas it’s pretty much the same quest regardless of which faction you pick); I almost quit when I was bouncing around between the Berserker guru dude in the swamp and his tedious objectives after doing the same with the Alb dude in the snow. And the less said about the hybrid the better.

If your benchmark is a Bethesda style hiking simulator, then sure Elex is the best thing to come out in years. If you like story, C&C, RPGs with actual RPG elements, and good writing, then New Vegas is vastly superior. I say this as someone who refused to play F:NV until last year because I thought it would be too similar to the execrable Fallout 3. I was wrong. But if Skyrim is what floats your boat then, to put it politely, I think this is just a matter of taste.

Stop dragging me into this shit. Seriously, just don't respond to me. It compels me to respond. Please...

Look, New Vegas was alright, but I was very underwhelmed. I'm not making it up. Yes, maybe I do need to play it more, and yes, it is possible that at the time I wasn't as skilled with classic-style CRPGs as I am today. But I'm telling you, I scoured that (small, cramped feeling) map and could not find any more content. I was zipping around with fast travel, talking to everyone multiple times to make sure. And I played on release without the DLC. But I was left feeling very 'meh' about it overall. If I return and it's great, great, but we'll see.

ELEX on the other hand, I've already played 160 hours which is 100+ more than New Vegas when it released, in a very short period of time. New Vegas is definitely the tighter experience, but the total synthesis of elements in ELEX is superior to me. That's why I say it's the best open-world RPG for me since Morrowind. I played (and enjoyed) Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur even (don't @ me, that game had outstanding atmosphere), Gothic 3 & others I'm forgetting, but ELEX as a total package for me is tops in that arena, at least since Morrowind (that's only half nostalgia. I do like the design of that game even compared to today's RPGs and the slow overall pace and lore exploration it offers.)

For my tastes ELEX is simply more interesting to explore. There are ruins dotting the landscape. Giant converters that loom with dangerous enemies around. The world overall is massive with interesting scenery, impacting and consequential character building (gameplay C&C that impacts your character tremendously), hand-placed loot (all loot is hand-placed in ELEX, even in chests, rewarding exploration even more. And that placement is based on its difficulty to reach), the vertical exploration (which should now be a standard for future open-world RPGs, also makes the game world feel about 2 times bigger), the "danger zones" which require some special loot or items to survive in, the very dangerous world that can kill you at every turn if you aren't paying attention (causing newbs to rage on forums about how the game is too hard, which I adore), even the inclusion of crafting (cooking) items that actually make a noticeable difference, and on and on. It makes a tremendous package for an open-world action RPG.

I urge anyone interested to play it. It's like the feeling of Gothic taken to a world 20 times the size yet retaining the feeling of hand-craftedness at every turn. Even the desert area has interesting things to find, and the scale of the world should also be a standard going forward (feels huge, 5 biomes that are consistent and work great within the structure of the world, giant ruins that make you feel tiny in comparison that you can jetpack all over and find hidden nooks with stuff to find, environmental storytelling everywhere, lots of mystery to the world and lore that you ONLY find by actually exploring yourself without a guiding hand. And the game still feels handmade and not procedural generated.

So yes, matter of tastes, etc.. We can agree to disagree. The total package of all these elements WITH the C&C is what makes it great. NV may have some better writing or whatever, and a tighter focus, but a game like ELEX forms a unique blend of interesting and quality elements to form a much bigger and better total package. To me.

It's glorious.

mogwaimon

Magister
Look, New Vegas was alright, but I was very underwhelmed. I'm not making it up. Yes, maybe I do need to play it more, and yes, it is possible that at the time I wasn't as skilled with classic-style CRPGs as I am today.

Wait, what? Were you under the impression that New Vegas was a "classic-style CRPG"? I'm sorry I just have to call that out.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait, what? Were you under the impression that New Vegas was a "classic-style CRPG"? I'm sorry I just have to call that out.

I don’t think it’s wise to prod him lest we provoke another essay.

Still, for. 3D action RPG, New Vegas was closer to that classic feel than anything else. But yeah, now I see why people talk so much shit about this guy’s taste.

Deleted Member 16721

I don’t think it’s wise to prod him lest we provoke another essay.

Still, for. 3D action RPG, New Vegas was closer to that classic feel than anything else. But yeah, now I see why people talk so much shit about this guy’s taste.

Your wisdom lasted for a whole 2 sentences, then you prodded me. Brilliant. :positive:

And yeah, NV felt like it would have made a typical CRPG if it was isometric, which is cool. It just happened to be in first-person.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
D:OS 2, with its writing and casual-friendly armor system, ends up getting a plurality of votes over grog-friendly Grimoire and ELEX (one would have to make separate polls to determine whether Grimoire or Elex would be able to hold up against it on their own). The true nature of the Codex revealed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
D:OS 2, with its writing and casual-friendly armor system, ends up getting a plurality of votes over grog-friendly Grimoire and ELEX (one would have to make separate polls to determine whether Grimoire or Elex would be able to hold up against it on their own). The true nature of the Codex revealed.
That is why all the CK votes will go for the ELEX or Grimoire depending on who have the more votes. A lot of casual players here.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Is more what somebody wants from an rpg... Grimoire could be great but is more in the realm of dungeon crawlers than rpg.. About Elex again it could be great but i usually don't play fixed protagonist rpg unless they have a stunning writing like planescape torment or witcher 3.

Divinity original sin 2 has a nice story, nice combat.. nice isometric view,coop, dm mode, toolset and of course character creation that is why i voted that and not grimoire or elex.

And grimoires has flaws too:
is not polished
some mechanics that should be in the game are not yet implemented
ripetitive combat
general unstability (many people had ctd)
lack of a manual
terrible art style

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Is more what somebody wants from an rpg... Grimoire could be great but is more in the realm of dungeon crawlers than rpg.. About Elex again it could be great but i usually don't play fixed protagonist rpg unless they have a stunning writing like planescape torment or witcher 3.

Divinity original sin 2 has a nice story, nice combat.. nice isometric view,coop, dm mode, toolset and of course character creation that is why i voted that and not grimoire or elex.

is not polished
ripetitive combat
lack of a manual
terrible art style
:hero:
There is no cure for shit taste!

If you think that DOS2 have a nice story,then you need to play more rpg and read books. DOS2 have the worst writing in the last decade...maybe,it is on par with Numenera.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

is not polished
ripetitive combat
lack of a manual
terrible art style

If you think that DOS2 have a nice story,then you need to play more rpg and read books. DOS2 have the worst writing in the last decade...maybe,it is on par with Numenera.

I can sense your butthurt... i don't think DOS2 has a ground breaking story but overall i like it ore than dos1 als dos2 has a dm client so i can make my own stories and do a dm campaign with my friends.

Not sure about numenera since i disliked the pen and paper setting i never bothered to buy the game...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

is not polished
ripetitive combat
lack of a manual
terrible art style

I can sense your butthurt... i don't think DOS2 has a ground breaking story but overall i like it ore than dos1 als dos2 has a dm client so i can make my own stories and do a dm campaign with my friends.

Not sure about numenera since i disliked the pen and paper setting i never bothered to buy the game...
Don't project your butthurt on to me dove.DOS2 is a mediocre,ok game that doesn't deserve to be codex goty in any universe!DOS games do have terrible writing that is all over the place,a huge universe eating dragon that you fight in a room....yeah logic. Or how half the population is faggots and trannies. It was that bad that i ended burning the whole time when the chapter was over,at least they did let you kill left and right.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

is not polished
ripetitive combat
lack of a manual
terrible art style

Don't project your butthurt on to me dove.DOS2 is a mediocre,ok game that doesn't deserve to be codex goty in any universe!DOS games do have terrible writing that is all over the place,a huge universe eating dragon that you fight in a room....yeah logic. Or how half the population is faggots and trannies. It was that bad that i ended burning the whole time when the chapter was over,at least they did let you kill left and right.

Odd because seems to me DOS2 is winning... hmmmmm

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

is not polished
ripetitive combat
lack of a manual
terrible art style

Odd because seems to me DOS2 is winning... hmmmmm
CoD sells a ton,doesn't make it any better. As they say panem et circenses,plebs need entertainment too :smug:.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Maybe but for me is not about competition.. i just like different things than you if you think i have shit taste is your opinion and is not life changing for me... Seems tough you like to voice that opinion several times repeating yourself.. This makes me think you are suffering from an acute ammount of butthurt :D

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nah you are not a butthurt fanboy with a shit taste at all....
Screenshot_2017_12_16_RPG_Codex_The_most_prestigious_RPG_forum_on_the_internet_or_you_get_a_free_quest_compass.png

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

And?.... You seem upset...

And if you think that sjw propaganda of siege of dragonspear is actually good... well it's your opinion man..

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
fluent

I think you will really, really enjoy "Nier - Automata". Never in a million years did Iexpect to find myself fan-girling over an Action-RPG, but my god the game fucking delivers. The fact that after the standard western CRPGs in the Poll got their votes, that Nier Automata still managed to get the most votes rising above every single other game that wasn't D: OS 2, ELEX or Grimwah...

Here, on the RPG Codex, where people hate jap-crap as a matter of principle (I don't hate jap-crap, only myself for liking it), motherfucking game still got votes in a GRPG poll.

Well, could also simply be this year has been utter fucking shit for RPGs... but anyway, this is a video I captured of me briefly walking around the game's 1st Village then setting off running full-speed with my Companion in tow to explore a Canyion precipice I had seen earlier; if you watch the whole thing you will get to see me experiencing some of that non-level scaled stuff you were talking about where you can find yourself in mortal danger simply from pure curiousity and wanting to explore. (It is a good thing).

...It's not shown in that video but I eventually managed to escape by skin of my teeth and even managed to stumble over a treasure chest with a brand new weapon, a bronze dagger (fast attacks, great for making attack chains and compliments Knuckles/Fists attacks as well as being good for using the game's equivalent to a parry mechanic; although it is not an actual parry, but it's not important.

The game itself is not an open world type of game, not at all, it is a thorough mix of:

- Villages/cities/hubs/Space stations that you can visit throughout the game and these are usually full of shops and givers of side-quests; almost universally these are seperated by surprisingly large open areas chock full of hidden stuff to find and filled to the brim with tons of optional shit that isn't even documented

- But every few hours, usually right after clearing one of the big open Hub areas of game world, you will be sent to a more traditional mission where you'll often find yourself playing in a side-scrolling view one moment then immediately shifting, without warning, to an overhead-view where now the enemies suddenly swarm you just like in something like that arcade game Smash T.V. or Robotron

- And those levels will almost always climax with a section/level of you piloting either a giant mech (c'mon, it's japanese, would be surprising if not) or rather more specifically, protag's vehicle of choice is a spaceship/fighter ship like one from GRADIUS or any other SHMUP / bullet-hell game... and of course, these sections are straight-up "bullet hell" mini-levels and you will have to dust off your SHMUP skillz.

- And then back to the next big open area + Hub/village/etc, each one always intentionally very different from the previous areas.

The game is not a true RPG, at best it is an Action RPG, but it does feature tons of NPCs, a very good story and plot, a companion/follower mechanic (with their own story to tell, sadly no option to butt-fuck them); you gain Levels and your HP increases and you can grind, if you want, so you are then "ready" for the next dangerous area you're not supposed to go to yet but which holds new weapons/armor/unique items.

You can fish in the game anywhere there is water though I find the mini-game of fishing very boring (though there are items to be found there), and your character's power progression consists of finding:

- new weapons, and there are a bunch of them and all different from the other; I'd say around 60% of them are hidden off the beaten path or locked as quest rewards.

- Circuits/chips (protag is android) serve as the equivalent of "gear", and each chip adds something different to how 2B performs and what she can do. Most are hard to find.

- You also have a 2nd companion, a kind of ED-E type (though with no characterization whatsoever, merely mechanically speaking) who you can upgrade throughout the game. He starts with a laser attack that is very helpful but if you don't do quests / find shit by exploring to upgrade him that laser soon becomes useless.

You can also jump and then float down to the ground by grabbing onto the floating robot companion; again, a detail I discovered purely by accident and it was very satisfactory. The biggest enjoyment I get from Nier Automata is the simple fact that the game just oozes quality and a desire to be a legit game, not just another A-RPG. Also I really fucking enjoy the combat it is insanely fun.

BTW, just now, earlier, I discovered you can ride on top of random wilf-life animals that roam around the open world areas! It happened completely by accident as I used some Meat Lure to get the animal to come near me so I could kill it and get his materials/loot, but I fucked up my attack chain and ended up jumping on top of the animal and suddenly I was riding along it was fucking great.

Sure, none of that has much bearing on whether or not the game is actually good (it is!!!!!!!!!), but It's been a long while since I've played a game so intentionally opaque in everything it offers the player and I am enjoying the experience of finding out stuff by accident.

One last example of this is that (again, "I didn't know!") that you can use your Flash-Light's... light, to effectively blind or enrage enemies in the game! You have to spam the light at them and depending on the enemy some immediately charge at you and some run away.

This is 100% undocumented!

EDIT: BTW, for anyone curious, I am using my Arcade Stick to play Nier Automata, and it's also the same thing I used with ELEX.

I find playing these types of games to be most satisfactory when using an arcade stick with huge buttons that you can drum on; besides the fact that they're much more "accurate" both in their button execution/presses but in the joystick usage.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's at the 6 minute mark where I overstep, heh. I actually simply jumped off the canyon just to see if the game would kill me on landing... to my surprise there was a whole huge area down there, awaiting those players dumb enough to jump off everything just because!

Deleted Member 16721

Nice, aweigh! I completely disregarded that game until now for some reason. Sort of looks like an action-based Xenoblade, just maybe not as huge or open. Looks great regardless, though. Wishlisted it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

And if you think that sjw propaganda of siege of dragonspear is actually good... well it's your opinion man..

Dragonspear sucks because it’s boring, poorly written, poorly designed and poorly executed. The one conversation with one trans character is irrelevant. I could play an RPG with a religious fundamentalist agenda (my own personal most loathed worldview) and I’d still enjoy it if it had good gameplay, good setting, good writing etc...

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Dragonspear sucks because it’s boring, poorly written, poorly designed and poorly executed. The one conversation with one trans character is irrelevant. I could play an RPG with a religious fundamentalist agenda (my own personal most loathed worldview) and I’d still enjoy it if it had good gameplay, good setting, good writing etc...

i mainly avoided it because i knew the writing were breaking consistence between the two games and the characters involved.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

i mainly avoided it because i knew the writing were breaking consistence between the two games and the characters involved.
I never played that drivel,not worth even downloading it!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Siege of Dragonspear is fine and a more catechistic RPG than most that have come out recently, get over yourselves.

About the GOTY - I haven't played any of these games for more than 10 minutes. My personal GOTYs this year are Baldur's Gate and Swordflight, I had more of blast with them than any other game this year. Honorable mentions go to the nu-Shadowruns, Etherlords 2 and Spellforce 1. Come at me.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Siege of Dragonspear is fine and a more catechistic RPG than most that have come out recently, get over yourselves.

About the GOTY - I haven't played any of these games for more than 10 minutes. My personal GOTYs this year are Baldur's Gate and Swordflight, I had more of blast with them than any other game this year. Honorable mentions go to the nu-Shadowruns, Etherlords 2 and Spellforce 1. Come at me.
What does catechistic mean in this context? Are you saying something like SoD has more personal soul-searching than a game like ELEX? Or that it's more thoughtful? Or that it teaches the player more about the world?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom