Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Sub Forum Streamlining Bullshit

kazgar

Arcane
While we're making changes, can we get a vapourware rpg sub-forum (or forum)?

Then we can have somewhere put Grimoire and chaos chronicles threads (and AOD and Dead State threads)

Expanding on this idea, if we must have multiple subforums, let's try to keep as few as possible and divide them down lines that no one can argue with - the monocle RPG / popamole RPG line has always been blurry. How about a scheme like this:
Ancient RPGs - Games released 1989 and earlier
Classic RPGs - Games released between 1990 and 2004
Modern RPGs - Games released 2005 and onward
Unreleased Games - games that aren't out yet

That would divide discussion and nobody could argue about where certain games go. Additionally, megathreads could be locked to kill them. If that isn't enough subforums they could be additionally broken down into 1990-1995, 1996-2000, 2001-2005, 2006-2010, and 2011+, or something like that. In any case, I think it would be better than the current system.

Having to double-check the release date of a game before posting a thread sounds like an annoyance of an extra step no one will remember/care about, mods will still be moving threads all the time.

I'm not even really sure why the priority is finding a way to please the aspies and the neat freaks, when it should be about making navigation fast and easy. For example, the jRPG and MMO subforums could comfortably go into General RPG, the amount of new threads per week/month is minuscule in comparison. The only reason for their existence seems to be the UUUUH 'TIS UNACCEPTABLE babies. At least the joke subforum that somehow became a real thing (AAA+ Mainstream Whatever) seems to have been merged.

General RPG = anything that vaguely smells like RPG

General Gaming = dumping ground for anything that doesn't seem to fit into GRPG, Adventure or Strategy

There. Anyone starts whining that thread about game X should be in the other forum, ask them to write an Azrael-ian post/essay explaining why this is important. Soon it would be revealed that nobody really cares that much about this bullshit - but like a baby cries because he knows that's how he gets a tit full of milk, users whine because they know that sort of attention-seeking post works.

but if we have fewer forums, then some new threads would be moved to page 2 in a week!

So what? Just go to page 2. Maybe even page 3 if you're feeling courageous. It requires less or just as many clicks as hopping around different subforums, and simpler to keep up with if you don't check the forum every day.

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Soon it would be revealed that nobody really cares that much about this bullshit - but like a baby cries because he knows that's how he gets a tit full of milk, users whine because they know that sort of attention-seeking post works.
Yeah, stop whining!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
So wasn't it called "Classic cRPG discussion", with various helpful stickies at the top. Now it's called "General RPG discussion", taking away "classic" and "cRPG" and with Bethesda at the top... lol

Coyote

Arcane
I'm not even really sure why the priority is finding a way to please the aspies and the neat freaks, when it should be about making navigation fast and easy. For example, the jRPG and MMO subforums could comfortably go into General RPG, the amount of new threads per week/month is minuscule in comparison. The only reason for their existence seems to be the UUUUH 'TIS UNACCEPTABLE babies. At least the joke subforum that somehow became a real thing (AAA+ Mainstream Whatever) seems to have been merged.

General RPG = anything that vaguely smells like RPG

General Gaming = dumping ground for anything that doesn't seem to fit into GRPG, Adventure or Strategy

Exactly.

If we absolutely must have more than one RPG forum then the most sensible way to do it IMO would be to have one forum for all RPGs that come out on PC - including cross-platform titles - and one for all RPGs that are console-exclusive, because it's the most functional setup for the greatest number of Codexers. Most posters here either play games solely on PCs or play on both PCs and consoles; we have very few, if any, console-only players here. So the PC-only players could look just at the PC forum, and the PC+console players could look at both. It's also pretty unambiguous - if it comes out on PC, it goes here, if not, it goes there - and lines up with the existing categories pretty well, so it wouldn't require much work from the mods.

I'm sure someone can come up with a better way to divide it up - aside from, y'know, just having a single RPG forum - but my basic point is that any division should be based on increasing the functionality and usability of the forum, not some sperg's view of what constitutes a true RPG, arbitrary cutoffs (as in any date-based system), or categorization for the sake of categorization. The current setup is bad design in part because it sacrifices usability for pointless categorization.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Really sad to hear so many hateful messages to me about this change I completely thought up and was my entire idea and DU implemented. :(

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
This is going to be one of those "I'm not a racist but..." questions. My question is though, for a big/thorough decision like this, shouldn't you have asked the community first? I mean I understand the whole no custom avatars and jokes etc, the codex is what the codex is, it's a great place with a lively population. But... this is a pretty serious change which was apparently thought up by one person, then implemented immediately without asking the actual people who have to deal with the changes for their opinion. No offense intended to Jaeson.

As for mega threads, I don't know, I kind of enjoy reading them, it's like going back in time and seeing the decline occur right before your eyes. Fairly amusing stuff.

aris

Arcane
  1. Great job!
  2. My only complaint is that now that we have a general RPG discussion sub-forum, it doesn't make any sense to have a seperate jRPG subforum

mondblut

Arcane
  1. Great job!
  2. My only complaint is that now that we have a general RPG discussion sub-forum, it doesn't make any sense to have a seperate jRPG subforum

It makes perfect sense for any non-homosexual user:

nWLETN6.png

I'm sure someone can come up with a better way to divide it up - aside from, y'know, just having a single RPG forum - but my basic point is that any division should be based on increasing the functionality and usability of the forum, not some sperg's view of what constitutes a true RPG, arbitrary cutoffs (as in any date-based system), or categorization for the sake of categorization.

The point above is as functionality-centric as it gets.

aris

Arcane
So Codex now has very special subforums dedicated to such award-winning developers as Bethesda, Bioware and Blizzard. Congrats. In b4 Fallout 4 fullscreen advertisements.
  1. It's fitting.
  2. No games are discussed more on the codex than games by bethesda, bioware and blizzard.
  3. I mean fallout 1 or 2? Probably 5% of all the posts one the above-mentioned.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Really sad to hear so many hateful messages to me about this change I completely thought up and was my entire idea and DU implemented. :(

If it sucks, it sucks. As for the hateful part, you're on the Codex after all.

The biggest decline is that now we have to click through all those subforums instead of seeing everything in one or two places.

Why fix something if it isn't broken? Was somebody complaining about the megathreads?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
My question is though, for a big/thorough decision like this, shouldn't you have asked the community first?
Yes because that worked so well the last few times we tried that. Also, nobody cares until you actually do something. And what "problem" has arisen from simply going ahead with it in the first place and actually seeing how people use it? (Note, I couldn't care less what people are saying, I'm monitoring posts made in the forums over-time - because people have a tendency to talk out of their ass. "Oh, this is a terrible change that makes things so difficult BUT WATCH THAT I'M NOW POSTING MORE BITCHES")

Also:

Would you prefer a good tag-based system instead of dozens of arbitrary forums?
  • Yes, let's use the tag system as described below 20 vote(s) 46.5%
  • No, I prefer the current Company Forum arrangement 6 vote(s) 14.0%
  • Neither, let's just keep fighting about it (KC) 15 vote(s) 34.9%
  • Other (comment below) 2 vote(s) 4.7%

But... this is a pretty serious change which was apparently thought up by one person, then implemented immediately without asking the actual people who have to deal with the changes for their opinion.
Nonsense, Jaesun (IE. the one who has to deal with this) was already 100% onboard.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Can't you just fucking once ask your flock before you go through with some retarded design change? Seriously, this was a shit idea you guys had and you already know it; now you're trying to defend it like some politician: "Hurr durr, wait and see, let's look at the numbers in a bit!"

No, fuck you. I am never clicking on any of these sub-forums. Not out of protest, mind you: just because it's too fucking stupid, having to find my way through a bunch of sub-sub-forums just so I can talk about the hobby I love. I am sure many feel similarly.

Change it the fuck back you powertripping Aussie, Jesus Christ; how much outrage do you fucking need until you realize how dumbshit this idea was?

If you keep it, change the tagline:
Welcome to RPG Codex - Where Bethesda comes first.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This change does make it very annoying to navigate the RPG forum, way too much clicking and scrolling is needed to find the threads I want to read. I'm going to stay in General Gaming until this shit is fixed.

I've seen some forums where threads in subforums also appear in the parent forum, is that an option in Xenforo? That could satisfy both the sorting fanatics and those that want everything about RPGs in the same place. Assuming you could also find a way to remove the huge block of subforums on top of General RPG, so that we don't have to scroll down to see any threads.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
you can use 'New Posts' as a sorta substitute for gen rpgd without stickies (->improvement) by excluding all forum that are not genrpg on your profile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom