Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs for tablets - seeking list additions

On Android phones you have the astounding Drastic NDS emulator: it runs flawlessly even on older generation phones. Other great ultra-fluid emulators are SuperN64 (for N64) FPSe (PSX) PPSSPP (PSP) My Boy (GBA) Snes9X EX+ (SNES) MD.emu (Genesis). On the computer front you have functional C64 Atari ST Apple II Dos Box ZX Spectrum MSX emulators (didn't try the Amiga one yet).
They all run flawlessly on a HTC One Mini or a Samsung S4 Mini

In fact, Android PSP and NDS emulators are better than the ones on PC. Then, there are still no decent PS2 or Dreamcast emulators on Android (but the Dolphin port is progressing fast).

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
:bro:
Thanks man, it's really helpful.
This will be good year and nice adjustment for my gaming experience.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I just turned in a Galaxy 10.1 Android tablet and picked up a new iPad. Wish I hadn't. While the iPad is more polished, on the Galaxy I had an awesome C64 emulator and tons of games to kill time. Now this iPad has... not much. I really loved C64.emu and was halfway through a game of Alter Ego when I got rid of the thing.

Why don't You get Yourself a Windows tablet and enjoy most RPGs available on the PC?

Don't do this. Better to buy a cheap laptop with touchscreen than Microsoft's initial foray into tablets. I hated that thing so much: everything was a pain, and its heavier than my laptop. A combination of a laptop and a tablet with the advantages of neither. The USB port is a good idea, though, but I had all my games loaded via Dropbox, so no biggie.

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
iOS can use emulators too, without jailbreaking. But for PPSSPP there's no JIT if you don't jailbreak so it may be a bit too slow for games with higher demand. NDS4iOS works fine on the newest iPhones and iPads without jailbreak (or so I heard, only own the older versions. NDS4iOS run games like Phoenix Wright etc on iPhone 5 and iPad 4 though)

http://iemulators.com/

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
IOs devices have only one game I want (and sorely miss on Android) - King of Dragon Pass. :/

IOs devices have only one game I want (and sorely miss on Android) - King of Dragon Pass. :/

(It's 40% cheaper during Christmas, btw)

Well, yeah, this. iOS gets the best games pretty much for all audiences. There's KOTOR, XCOM or Deus Ex for popamolers, fucktons of adventure game ports, strategies or 4X or board games, etc...

Android makes up for it with emulation, though of course many DosBox emulations are not suited for digitizer. You can't go wrong with ScummVM, though.

For iOS, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Warhammer Quest, because the port is excellent and very polished, but the basic version is bareboned quasi-demo version and In-app purchases to add regions/heroes/enemies/tilesets are pure banditry. If you have or spare dollars from Xmas or giftcards from FreeMyApps then it can be worth it.

FireRabbit

Novice
Shameless indie plug: Overlive - Zombie Survival RPG. iOS/Android. Choose Your Own Adventure/RPG/time management game. Phones and tablets.

http://www.firerabbit.com/portal/landingpage/overlive/ <- has links for all markets

Screenies:

overlive_screenshot_splash2.jpg

home.jpg

encounter.jpg

2combat.jpg

supplies2.jpg

Last edited:

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
IceBlink Engine modules run pretty well on my Dell Venue Pro 8 (runs full win 8.1). Still could use some tweaks and more touch controls to go with the existing mouse/keyboard controls.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Added Sword & Sworcery, Overlive - Zombie

I'm not going to add Windows tablet items at this time, as it's clear that Windows software will run on them - with the exception of workable mouse functions - and a person can somewhat estimate whether they'll be able to do similar things with a touch-screen.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Does Jagged Alliance 2 run stable and fully playable on Android using the port? It looks like it hasn't been updated in ages.

Drew

Savant
Could someone explain to me what the appeal of a tablet is?

I don't see them as being particularly more powerful than a smartphone, but they're a lot less portable.
They're not really any more portable than a laptop, but they're a lot less powerful.

Am I missing something?

And on topic, in your first post you have BG(2)EE as upcoming for Android, but not listed as already released for iOS.

Drew

Savant
How are they more portable than a laptop?

You can't fit them in your pocket, either a hand dedicated for carrying them or inside a bag of some sort.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
How are they more portable than a laptop?
The fucking dimensions?

You can't fit them in your pocket, either a hand dedicated for carrying them or inside a bag of some sort.
No shit, still less cumbersome than a laptop if all you are going to do can be covered by a tablet. Sure, a phone can do most of that too but for certain things the bigger screen size helps, like reading PDF files.

Drew

Savant
A 7 oz. water bottle is portable than an 8 oz. one, too. Doesn't make it usefully more portable.
Yes, so tablets are smaller than laptops, and lighter. But it's not to a degree that seems to be worth it to me.

If I have a smart phone, and a laptop, the crossover would be too great to consider a tablet.

I guess if you had a basic phone and only a desktop pc, a tablet might fit for you, but that is rarely the case.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
A 7 oz. water bottle is portable than an 8 oz. one, too. Doesn't make it usefully more portable.
Yes, so tablets are smaller than laptops, and lighter. But it's not to a degree that seems to be worth it to me.
Cool, not to me either. But for some people, and the use they make of a computer, the less cumbersome dimensions of a tablet are a much bigger advantage.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
iOS:

Silversword

An RPG in the style of Bard's Tale. Never played it since I don't own an Ipad / Iphone.
I got this on an ipod touch. The controls simply didn't work. I would go into a menu and be unable to exit the menu. It seemed to randomly work 1 out of 20 times maybe? But I wouldn't recommend trying to play this type game on the ipod touch in the first place. My guess is that the controls would probably function correctly on an ipad but I never had one so I didn't find out.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
You can get Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls for iOS but the controls are horrible as you have to tap the screen to take a step. Ironically, there is a game that is basically a straight clone of Wiz1 called Wandroid that gets the navigation perfect for this type of game.

Delicieuxz

Cipher

I don't see them as being particularly more powerful than a smartphone, but they're a lot less portable.
They're not really any more portable than a laptop, but they're a lot less powerful.

Am I missing something?

And on topic, in your first post you have BG(2)EE as upcoming for Android, but not listed as already released for iOS.

My tablet is 2.3ghz quad core, with 3 GB ram, and 96GB storage. I've written around 50 or maybe a lot more documents of length on it since getting it, and I can play a plethora of games on it, including PlayStation emulated, and I assume it should do PlayStation 2 games, if there's an emulator available.

The majority of where I use it is while in bed, where it has the portability of a book, which a laptop does not, though I carry it around to meetings and even friend's, and instead of requiring its own case, I just fit it into the one that's carrying my printed documents.

Being one 6th the size or so, and also the weight of a laptop makes it far more portable, and also the fixed-angle which a laptop's fold out screen requires you work on it at means I would not have been able to do 99% of my use of this tablet, so far.

Written with one finger, using Swype, while lying down in bed after just waking up. It's like having the newspaper delivered without getting up to grab it, and without setting up all the space, heat, maybe fan noise, and uncomfortable position that a laptop needs.

I get excellent battery on this, too.

My dad thought I should get a laptop instead of a tablet, but that would have been a genuine tragic disaster, counting the work I've done while experiencing non laptop-accommodating settings. I take a look at this thing here, there, everywhere, and unlike a phone, when I do I'm not just noting things that I'll do when I'm back at a computer, I do those things right away. My productivity has gone through the stratosphere, since having this.

www.shrapnelreason.com - most everything I post there will be made on my tablet, and I've got around 60 drafts waiting to go, many high value medical (plug-and-point).

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Delicieuxz

Cipher
One thing I still sometimes hold off till I'm at a desktop for, is post-editing, where copying/paying is involved, as it's just less stressful to deal with on a 26"monitor - so I'll fix what you pointed out about Baldur's Gate when I'm at my pc.

Also, gaming on a tablet is more enjoyable than a laptop, or phone, or handheld, in my opinion, as it is like a huge-screened handheld, with a lot less bulk - and which can switch between any application in an instant, without losing anything. The self-and-hand positioning required for laptop gaming is a drawback. I could be playing something like Baldur's Gate on this with one finger while lying down on my side, just like I did for typing the previous post.

Currently, I'm resting my tablet on my flat, open palm, and Swype-typing with one finger of my other hand. You can't use a laptop this way, like a dynamic clipboard to show people relevant information while walking around and standing in miscellaneous places - and a tablet is more portable than a clipboard, and its screen is easier to for everyone than written or printed notes on a clipboard.

The tablet is also ideal for messing and especially video chats, letting you carry them around with you as you move and do things, which you don't get to do with a laptop - and while I admittedly have an older phone, a Nexus S, the conversation speaker audio quality on this thing is totally awesome in comparison.

My tablet is largely now my go-to productivity device, while my desktop is storage and for performance-power games.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Drew

Savant

Am I missing something?

My tablet is 2.3ghz quad core, with 3 GB ram, and 96GB storage. I've written around 50 or maybe a lot more documents of length on it since getting it, and I can play a plethora of games on it, including PlayStation emulated, and I assume it should do PlayStation 2 games, if there's an emulator available.

Out of curiosity, how much does that cost?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom