Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs for tablets - seeking list additions

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Out of curiosity, how much does that cost?

It's the LTE edition of a Samsung Note 2014, which has a Snapdragon 2.3ghz cpu instead of the 1.9ghz that the other two models have.
I'm in Canada, local price is $8 - 900, but I sourced a Samsung Note 2014 LTE edition for $650 on eBay, which was a Christmas gift (hence my dad wanting me to have a laptop, if anything, instead), and there were no import taxes due to the time it stayed in the US after purchase prior to being brought to Canada. The $650 eBay sellers are still there.

I added some info to my previous posts, above.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
The Raventhal for Android is almost ready for release. I ported the IceBlink Engine to Android with a few slight modifications to make it flow better on mobile platforms. I am in the polishing phase and have a beta version if anyone wants to test it out. It will be completely FREE with NO ads or in app purchases. Probably will be on Google play in a few weeks.

zwanzig_zwoelf

The Raventhal for Android is almost ready for release. I ported the IceBlink Engine to Android with a few slight modifications to make it flow better on mobile platforms. I am in the polishing phase and have a beta version if anyone wants to test it out. It will be completely FREE with NO ads or in app purchases. Probably will be on Google play in a few weeks.
Just when I was ready to start bitching about lack of RPGs on a tablet.
Please give.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
I'll post a link to the latest signed apk build when I get home from work.

Sad He-Man

Educated
You may wan to try Gurk or one of the two paid sequels. Kinda basic stuff, but strangely enjoyable.
It weighs 93k and it will run on almost anything with android.
Screenshot:
gurktitle.jpg

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Anybody have any experience with using the slimmed down Android OS on the Kindle Fire etc. for "Android" games? Might be getting my friend's old tablet and didn't know how compatible they were. I assume there's always rooting?

Alchemist

Arcane
Anybody have any experience with using the slimmed down Android OS on the Kindle Fire etc. for "Android" games? Might be getting my friend's old tablet and didn't know how compatible they were. I assume there's always rooting?
The main limitation with the Kindle Fire is you're limited to Amazon's app market (no Google Play access), unless you hack / root / install a custom ROM. Aside from that, the games you could play would only be limited by the Android Version installed, and the hardware itself. I've not used a Kindle Fire so I don't have specific experience with that device. I did root an old Nook Color though - and installed CyanogenMod to use full-on Android with it.

For rooting / custom ROM info I suggest looking at xda-developers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire

KoolNoodles

Arcane
It would seem the Kindle Fire HDX(the one I might be given) updates frequently enough that rooting it for any length of time is impossible/too much of a hassle. Well, that's too bad, but I'm sure there's some stuff out there.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
How are they more portable than a laptop?

You can't fit them in your pocket, either a hand dedicated for carrying them or inside a bag of some sort.

You can't fit a laptop in your pocket either....so what was your point again?

Anyway, I picked up a couple of 7inch first gen Nexus 7's for 100 clams and they are useful enough for what I use them for. I don't know why noone has ported Might and Magic, Wizardry or Gold Box type of games to this. It screams 'made for TB blobber'. Particularly if you make a neat interface for quick access to everything.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
The Raventhal for Android (IceBlink Engine) is basically a cross of gold box (combat) and IE/NWN (conversation system). IceBlink comes with a NWN style toolset.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I used to hang shit on tablets, but then my wife and I started playing Smallworld on her iPad and it was great. Then I got a Nexus 10 and... I use it more than my computer. I have read a lot of books on it using the kindle software, I study on it using intelligent, flash-card style software, and there are good games like Out There that I enjoy. The tablet has its own value; my laptop can't compete when it comes to freedom to move around, battery life, convenient UI. I use it on the settee, on the bed, at the table, on the bus, on the plane, everywhere. Not only is it easier to handle than a full-size laptop, but the touch screen interface means that you don't need to position a mouse or keyboard, too.

I still use my laptop, obviously (I'm using it right now, and I use it to type long work documents and play CRPGs), but the tablet definitely brings something unique to the table. It helps me study, causes me to read more, and keeps me busy no matter where I am. I travel every weekend almost; that's hours upon hours of studying that I otherwise would not do because of cramped conditions, battery life issues, etc. If you think tablets are just for annoying children, well, you're missing out. Try borrowing a friend's tablet and see if it can increase your productivity, too, and maybe you'll be converted.

Put "Out There" on the tablet RPG list. It's a survival/adventure space game that is great. I have completed it one way (meeting the architects), but I want to get the other endings. Sorcery was good, too; it's a choose your own adventure style RPG with resource management and a combat interface. Little too short, though, for my liking.

EDIT: Also, Pleco, the best (free) Chinese dictionary out there with a really great touchscreen handwriting recognition add-on that is temporarily free. Have fun drawing a character with the mouse laptop newbs.

Last edited:

GlutenBurger

Cipher
How are they more portable than a laptop?

You can't fit them in your pocket, either a hand dedicated for carrying them or inside a bag of some sort.

You can't fit a laptop in your pocket either....so what was your point again?
That they're no more portable than laptops.

I expect the succinct answer is that they may not be appreciably more portable, but they're more wieldy. They can be used standing up, which a laptop can't. You might even be able to use them one-handed if your nose is pointy enough. A cyberpunk Pinocchio could sport dual tablets.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It would seem the Kindle Fire HDX(the one I might be given) updates frequently enough that rooting it for any length of time is impossible/too much of a hassle. Well, that's too bad, but I'm sure there's some stuff out there.
As a developer, fuck the KFHDX.

Tigranes

Arcane
Jeanne d'Arc on PPSSPP finally is playable. Turn-based grid combat a la FFT or Fire Emblem, mechanics nothing amazing but distinctive, you play Jeanne d'Arc in France which would be super cool if it wasn't ruined by the English fielding demonic armies and other retarded shit, but who cares about the story.
screen00008.jpg

ScummVM allows you to run stuff like Full Throttle, Secret of Monkey Island and Quest for Glory pretty well.

Use My Boy! for Fire Emblem, and/or nds4droid for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.

Pixel Dungeon is a simple but addictive roguelike built for mobile.

Kuhrazy

Educated
Looking for stuff for my iPhone, guided by this thread. A lot of interesting stuff is like $6+, often with no reviews. :( I assume the worst.

WazHack is the best thing on iPhone (also on android and steam).

Am I the only one who wishes he could get the old Bard's Tale by itself?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh, are we including Castle of the Winds clones now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom