Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with base / stronghold defense

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

DraQ

Arcane
Method of delivery is not in-game mechanics, it's method of delivery.
Neither is story and "help defend X against siege" is a valid event to have in an RPG story.

And method of delivery does impose limitations on mechanics - you can't have party based iso concentrating on fine control (especially if TB), nor RT FPP concentrating on coordinating actions by multiple party members.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Neither is story and "help defend X against siege" is a valid event to have in an RPG story.

And method of delivery does impose limitations on mechanics - you can't have party based iso concentrating on fine control (especially if TB), nor RT FPP concentrating on coordinating actions by multiple party members.

Yes, "help defend XYZ" is a common and normal historical RPG event. The bit I'm talking about, if you even cared what I was talking about, getting all court-up in the usual butthurtedness of dickheads, is that *managing YOUR base* is an unwanted extension and an intrusion into a classic RPG. IN MY OPINION.

Of course method of delivery imposes limitations and restrictions, but it doesn't change the focus of what an RPG is about.

Yes, of course you could have a great RPG where the entire game is you preparing a castle for invasion - of bloody course. But sticking a "stop what you're doing and now play manage the fortress" in the middle of an adventuring RPG is fucking retarded. And the concept of perpetual improvements over the course of multiple invasions WOULD BE A TOWER DEFENCE GAME.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Didn't Two Worlds 2 have some kind of castle defense gameplay module added in an expansion?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
OP, you may also try out Elona, since this game lets you do basically anything, including building/home management/fending off attacks. If you dabble into Japanese language, you can also play more advanced Elona+.

Unfortunately, since Elona lets you do anything you want, it is not an RPG. It is an unwanted extension simulator.

Renevent

Cipher
The Van Helsing games have some base/tower defense stuff in them, though unlike some of the better suggestions, is more like a tacked on mini game.

I think base/castle defense is a great mechanic that should be explored more by RPG's. In most RPG's we end up amassing great wealth and are basically roving hobos. Why shouldn't we invest that wealth into a base of operations, and why shouldn't the enemy attack us there (and consequently require our defense of it)? I think done right can be an excellent way to expand gameplay. I'd love a ARPG in the same vein as Diablo/TQ/etc where we have a fortress that we can upgrade and expand, that also has some defense missions.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
well... BG2 did have stronghold defense, the last part of De'Arnise keep storyline, even though by the time you reach it you will roflstomp the attackers with ease.

The ranger stronghold gets invaded by Ogres too, iirc.

EDIT: But yeah, those are just fights with your stronghold as the scenery. It's not like your shit gets damaged or anything.

DraQ

Arcane
Yes, of course you could have a great RPG where the entire game is you preparing a castle for invasion - of bloody course. But sticking a "stop what you're doing and now play manage the fortress" in the middle of an adventuring RPG is fucking retarded.
Yeah, heavans forbid forcing player to take a break from quests consisting of "go to X, kill Y, fetch Z". :roll:

The way I see it siege preparation/participation is great way to construct interesting and involved quest without meticulously scripting outcomes - it can mostly rely on basic mechanics, and exact outcome can be shaped mechanically as well with player's ingenuity playing large role.

Xeon

Augur
I don't mind getting attacked but man, losing a battle just because the PC isn't there or has to be there for the battle to start is kinda retarded or more appropriately just not a fun mechanic and makes the whole thing too much of a bother. Still having a stronghold or a base to upgrade and defend invasions or expanding you empire or something in an RPG will probably be pretty fun side activity and if it has significant wight to the story that will be really great.

PoE will have a stronghold that will be made by Tim Cain I think and from his Kickstarter update 5 or 6 months ago, It was pretty great.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't mind getting attacked but man, losing a battle just because the PC isn't there
I think sieges should be lost because of failed preparation, you shouldn't lose battle due to not being in the right place, but you should be able to win battle you'd narrowly lose due to bad preparation if you get involved personally (it's an RPG, after all).

Of course, if you can ensure a player being in place for particular battle, you can make it require PC involvement to be winnable.

Still having a stronghold or a base to upgrade and defend invasions or expanding you empire or something in an RPG will probably be pretty fun side activity and if it has significant wight to the story that will be really great.
More importantly, a meaningful resource sink.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
NWN2 Crossroads Keep is superb, yes.

No. It is very shallow and in the end has little real influence on the outcome. No matter what you do, yous till have to fight the wraiths of the cultist and make the same Zhaieve vs. Jerro choice. The outcome is purely cosmetic.

Anyway.

A recent good example is Dead state. There is a lot of base developing there. I haven't reached a part where you have to defend it. But I guess that is a given. Also, I consider XCOM pretty much an RPG. So in that respect that has the best base building/defense mechanics.

Lhynn

Arcane
Mount and blade has the best siege mechanics of any RPG, its a gud gaem to boot. Extremely fun.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Dude, read the title.
RPGs with base / stronghold defense
You can roleplay a defense tower. (And some tower defense have XP and level progressions for mages and other stuff.)

Now we only need belowmecoldhands in this thread, posting a philosophical monologue on "What is an RPG?"

Seriosuly though, I was answering this butthurt line
This is one of those threads that triggers me about the site moderation. I make this thread about Monster Variety, it gets dumped to General Gaming

Coz his monster-whatever thread was about all games in general, and this specific thread is about rpgs-only. Tower Defense link was so stupid, I wouldn't bother to comment it at all.

Well, Spellforce 2 had something like it, didn't it? I know, I know, not strictly an RPG... The king gave you land and you periodically had to defend it, upgrade with these special loot, etc. Even if it was mostly for show and never had any bearing on the main plot.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Icewind Dale 2
Have they made, or are planing to make, HD edition?

I've no idea. Once I own a game that continues to function I cease looking for new versions. New versions so often mean added tardation. A bit like the stuff in this thread really.

Coz his monster-whatever thread was about all games in general, and this specific thread is about rpgs-only.

Yah, coz in the context of posting a thread on an RPG general discussion board the term "Monsters" isn't fucking obvious to what genre it was referring to, the dumbfucks need the actual wording "IN A FUCKING RPG" in the fucking thread title to be able to comprehend the fucking obvious intent of the thread. You know, like all the posters to the thread who post fucking RPG stuff because it's fucking obvious, but in this utterly fucking retarded thread all people are talking about is fucking General Gaming shite because RPGs don't do this fucking mechanic - but, oh shit, specify RPG in the title somewhere and you can bullshit about any game you fucking want.

Fucking retards...

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Coz his monster-whatever thread was about all games in general, and this specific thread is about rpgs-only.

Yah, coz in the context of posting a thread on an RPG general discussion board the term "Monsters" isn't fucking obvious to what genre it was referring to, the dumbfucks need the actual wording "IN A FUCKING RPG" in the fucking thread title to be able to comprehend the fucking obvious intent of the thread. You know, like all the posters to the thread who post fucking RPG stuff because it's fucking obvious, but in this utterly fucking retarded thread all people are talking about is fucking General Gaming shite because RPGs don't do this fucking mechanic - but, oh shit, specify RPG in the title somewhere and you can bullshit about any game you fucking want.

Fucking retards...

This is fucking awesome.
:avatard:

DraQ

Arcane
New versions so often mean added tardation. A bit like the stuff in this thread really.
Your posts in particular. :stupid:

Fucking retards...
I want to be a dragon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom