Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with "hand-crafted" encounters

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are there any RPGs which only have meaningful and unique encounters without mob thrashing, random encounters etc?

I can think of upcoming Torment and AoD. Also there is Blackguards, where every fight is some kind of tactical puzzle (more or less).

And what do you think about this kind of approach?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Are there any RPGs which only have meaningful and unique encounters without mob thrashing, random encounters etc?

I can think of upcoming Torment and AoD. Also there is Blackguards, where every fight is some kind of tactical puzzle (more or less).
One recent example I can think of is Lords of Xulima. Each area had its set of static encounters visible on the screen, as well as a certain number of dynamic encounters. They worked like random encounters, but the enemy composition was fixed and once you beat all of them, the area was 'clear'
I actually don't like to feel safe in dungeons/dangerous places. Also, I actually like grinding to some extend, so I don't mind random encounters (with sane frequency!). Now if the game's combat is utter shit otoh...

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
As far as I can say, all encounters in "Temple of Elemental Evil" (except random ones on the travel map) are handcrafted. Doesn't prevent trashmobs though.
34-C1726.jpg

I'm all for that anyway, but only if it's well executed since its a definite minus for replayability.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think it's the way to do things as far as all encounters being meaningful.

I'm not a big fan of puzzle-y battles like you have in blackguards, and I have nothing against random encounters as long as the way they are generated isn't retarded, random encounters can be handcrafted too

Waterd

Augur
Darksun shattered lands is a great example of this.
In the same vein Knights of the chalice, if you turn off random encounters and monster respawn (which you should because they are terrible options).

Temple of elemental evil and Divinity original sin, are also decent examples, but yes they have a lot of trashmobs.
Not for nothing i consider they 4, the 4 best RPGS.

Most games labeled as tactical rpg are like this (Fire emblem series and similar)

Honestly I cant tolerate RPGS with much trashmobs, which is the reason i dont enjoy many RPGs.

I personally think that every fight should be challenging or not exist. I can see an ocassional easy fight just for the sake of inmersion, but they should be very ocassional.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Why, PoE, of course. Every single encounter, and there's loads of them, is hand-placed with attention and care.

:troll:

Atchodas

Augur
Yeee... SRR encounters might be Handcrafter but they are nothing great tho , other than that game is pretty good

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
One recent example I can think of is Lords of Xulima. Each area had its set of static encounters visible on the screen, as well as a certain number of dynamic encounters. They worked like random encounters, but the enemy composition was fixed and once you beat all of them, the area was 'clear'
I actually don't like to feel safe in dungeons/dangerous places. Also, I actually like grinding to some extend, so I don't mind random encounters (with sane frequency!). Now if the game's combat is utter shit otoh...
Nah, bro. Xulima is a 90+ hours thrash mob adventure.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
SRR & Dragonfall are both could be mentioned, though most of the encounters are not very amusing.
Darksun shattered lands is a great example of this.
In the same vein Knights of the chalice, if you turn off random encounters and monster respawn (which you should because they are terrible options).

Temple of elemental evil and Divinity original sin, are also decent examples, but yes they have a lot of trashmobs.
Not for nothing i consider they 4, the 4 best RPGS.

Most games labeled as tactical rpg are like this (Fire emblem series and similar)

Honestly I cant tolerate RPGS with much trashmobs, which is the reason i dont enjoy many RPGs.

I personally think that every fight should be challenging or not exist. I can see an ocassional easy fight just for the sake of inmersion, but they should be very ocassional.
Divinity has too much thrash mobs.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
12 posts and not a single mention of Baldur's Gate II? Really?:retarded:

Anyway, there're actually a lot of RPGs with hand-crafted encounters, but 90% of the time they're effectively indistinguishable from random encountered because it's evident that there's zero thought put into the design of these encounters.

Atchodas

Augur
Mentioning BG2 in every cRPG discussion kinda gets old esp when there are ton of new cRPG games ofc they dont compare to BG2 but still

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
12 posts and not a single mention of Baldur's Gate II? Really?:retarded:

Anyway, there're actually a lot of RPGs with hand-crafted encounters, but 90% of the time they're effectively indistinguishable from random encountered because it's evident that there's zero thought put into the design of these encounters.
BG2 does not only have meaningful and unique encounters. It has filler and random encounters, the exact thing the OP has specified he is looking for the absence of.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Final Fantasy Tactics is close, if memory serves correctly. Nearly every piece of the map you reveal starts a dialogue with characters in your party which advances the plot, and mixes up the encounters appropriately to the difficulty your party should be ready to face. If you want to increase the levels of some characters you have recruited, however, you can go back to those same areas and engage a random encounter, but that's up to you.

Since some tactical jRPGs have already been mentioned, I'll also add Valkyria Chronicles as an example.

Zetor

Arcane
Telepath Tactics is fairly recent, and is a good example of this (encounter design is one of the game's strengths, after all). It has two random-ish encounters that aren't very exciting, but thankfully they are pretty short and kind of insignificant compared to the rest of the game.

Trash Player

Scholar
How about Geneforge 4-5? The series have the same awkward combat mode/non-combat mode that Fallout 1-2 are known for. However, there are tons of C&C, most quests solvable by non-combat means, and all maps are designed with details that warrant exploring every tile, if it feels uninspired/recycled sometimes. On the highest difficulty, all encounters can potentially one-shot PC/key pieces.

Perkel

Arcane
D:OS

Whole reason why game is so loved here is exactly that each enconter has handcraft feeling to it. Each and every encounter is different. From ambushes to weird enemy placement to different mechanics you need to use or enemy uses.

Unbeliever

Learned
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Both HBS Shadowrun games actually.

Off course. I don't mention SRR for reasons that Atchodas already write. Encounters are handcrafted, but fights are so easy that it's like you fight trash mobs all the time. Only good encounter I remember is first bugs appearance, because you need few turns to detect that they are fucking Highlanders.

Nevertheless, i really enjoy SRR. Probably to much in love with cyberpunk settings.

Dragonfall was better in every way, particularly because it has better encounters.

Adamaklas

Literate
Correct me if i am wrong (no i don't you fcking correct me )

There is a corelation between, respawns and hand picked encounters, and meaningful ones.

So if you have mobs respawning , you don't have handpicked encounters, we can understand that. ( For instance, D:OS and Divine divinity. ofcourse in the second there were many hand picked encounters but if you play them both you can understand the diff )

So , since we are talking with games that have no respawns we can narrow down ze options.

Gothic games have handpicked encounters, you can even fucking feel it if you play the game and don't bitch about the <strange> movement of the character and the fact that it takes you 1 hour to understand a NOT click and drop inventory^^

Now , games with no respawns doesnt mean they have meaningful battles, but they are hand picked. For example Take IWD2 .... fuck man the game's a pve 2.5 ruleset simulator :D but it's fucking awesome to multiplayer it !

I love it when i am about to die and a random encounter pops up ( in like transit areas or w.e) you sometimes get that adrenaline rush :D

Rpgsaurus Rex

every fight is some kind of tactical puzzle (more or less).

Try Final Fantasy Tactics with 1.3 mod. By the end (if you manage to beat it) you'll again be feeling nostalgic for for some good old, simple, grindy, relaxing RPG gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom