Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what are the games you could not complete, despite giving them a good try?

I always try to complete games I like enough not to uninstall them after a few hours, but I never completed these:

Ultima IV. First time I tried I couldn't solve the ultimate puzzle. Had it not been for the Internet it would have taken me an infinity to figure out. Second time I did not have enough XP for a full party to enter The Stygian Abyss and I could not work up the enthusiasm to continue.

Wizard's Crown. Very detailed tactical combat, yet the game gives you far too little feedback, resulting in little control in combat. So quick combat is usually the best option, which makes the whole game rather pointless.

Faery Tale Adventure. I recall collecting a few of those Gold thingies, but I think I did something out of sequence and was not able to progress.

Wasteland. Missed one square/small area in Vegas, so missed a crucial encounter. Then lost the save game. Failed morale check after realizing that meant fighting the amassed robotic hordes of the Universe yet again.

Star Command. Game bugged (in the bug area, no less) out near the end.

Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception. Played a cracked copy the first time, so was not able to solve the final puzzle. Second time I couldn't stomach the constant real time random encounters.

Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed. Only Gold Box game I did not complete. Far too many random encounters, and the enemies were just souped up versions of the ones from the first Buck Rogers game.

Eye of the Beholder 2. The combat felt more and more silly, especially when I could dance around Basilisks so easily, remembering how deadly they could be in the Gold Box games if you didn't have mirrors.

Anvil of Dawn. Bugged out near the end.

Might&Magic 6. Mix of failed Endurance check and inabilty to deal with the Robots in the Control Centre (I think).

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. "What, Irenicus yet again?!?". (OK, I didn't really give ToB a good try)

Icewind Dale 2: Got tired of not being able to protect mages, with Neo-Orogs (I think) squeesing between my fighters.

System Shock 2. Combo of resapwning, constantly breaking weapon and lack of ammo. Will definitely give it another try som day, though

Probably more that I can't remember that are not on my play list (a file I've kept the past 4-5 years).

All in all I think I have a pretty good completed to abandoned games ratio.

Last edited:

Gondolin

Arcane
Dragon Age - The first bastard in the series, who fathered a dwarf.

Icewind Dale 2 - Going from one fight to another without any motivation got VERY boring. But at least I tried. Twice.

Ultima Underworld II- When UU came out it was (and probably still is) my favorite game of all time, but it was also the first Ultima game I ever played, and UU2 was the second. I didn't understand why I was supposed to give a fuck about playing "Clue!" in Lord British's castle, and although I enjoyed the imagination of a few levels (particularly the "brain" dimension), 12 year-old me felt misled by it being marketed as a sequel to UU.

Terror From the Deep: :negative: Beat the shit out of me when I was a teenager. Should give it another try.

Wizardry IV- I tried to finish this fucker two years ago and couldn't. Someday.

Lands of Lore- Tried all 3. Haven't made it past the first 30 minutes. I love Westwood, but I find these pretty uninspired.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Wasteland. Got pretty close to the end but just go sick of fighting hordes of robots.

Baldur's Gate 2. I got turned off by how linear the game became after the prison.

Fallout: Tactics. I think I was like 2 missions away from the end of the game, but I switched computers and lost the save file.

Zetor

Arcane
Of the games I didn't consider shit from the get-go:

IWD1/2 - didn't get past the third or so map since I disliked the gameplay that much, plus I found the encounters uninteresting.
Arcanum - combat gameplay pissed me enough that I stopped playing after that island thing.
Morrowind - had enough of the combat by the time I reached balmora.
Witcher 2 - the combination of bad combat and (IMO) terrible writing caused me to stop right after the start of chapter 2, when I realized that neither of them is going to get better.
TOEE - never got out of Hommlet. I should probably revisit this someday...
M&M 7 - lost steam around midgame when my party was powerful enough to steamroll everything on autopilot.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I once did try a Wizardy VI+VII+8 run over a few months (AND I HAD THE RING), but jebus fucking christmas the constant random encounters just fucking burned me out in 8 (as well at the other 2 games) and I never finished it. I shall do this someday, you just need to take a looooooooong break between each one.

pippin

Throne of Bhaal jaded me so much that I ended up uninstalling the game. I've finished SoA a number of times but I can't bring myself to play through ToB.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fallout 2. Save file error too far into the game.

Final Fantasy XII. Got the final boss down to 5,000/288,299 of his health after 20-30 attempts and then realized the game wasn't going to let me finish on my terms unless I revisited an earlier save file, did several hours worth of grinding, then replayed through several hours worth of content.

... no way that was going to happen.

Xenosaga: Episode I ... why are the Xenosaga games so long?

Hitman: Blood Money.

Valkyria Chronicles. PlayStation 3 crashed when I was right near the end. I saw my brother beat it anyway.

Final Fantasy IV. I always get bored in the end game.

Caesar III ... I only ever owned the demo.

Banner Saga.

Quest 64. None of you know what that is.

Morrowind. For every fun thing that happens in an Elder Scrolls game, there are several hours of feeling sick to the pit of your stomach over how hard you are wasting your time.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Morrowind. Started it at least 7 times but always lost interest pretty quickly. Only got the dwemer puzzle box once.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - The first one-third of this game was highly acceptable and inviting to me, I mean you're entering a Renaissance setting with a modified SPECIAL system with sweet UI and visuals that include Tactics-like sprites with IWD-like backgrounds. The dialogue and voicesets seemed appropriate, and I thought this could be a dream come true. But then it just falls apart completely and utterly, the game-play turns into one of the most mind-numbingly tedious and arduous affairs I've ever attempted to endure, and I could have wept bitterly at the lost opportunity. I never finished it, and I'm not bothered by that fact.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor - This game is just ToEE with Down Syndrome. On my 2nd attempt I tried to solo the game with the faster combat mod, and the fact I uninstalled towards the end with a mere shrug of the shoulders is testmament to the unenduringly boring nature of the game.

Quest 64. None of you know what that is.

You'd be surprised what we know...

Generally I finish any game I put more than a couple hours into, but there are certain titles that stonewalled me.

God of War 2: I've actually tried to play through this game twice, but both of my runs were cut short by (different) gamebreaking bugs. Quite astonishing for an AAA action game to have these sorts of issues; you'd only expect this from Bethesda.

Final Fantasy 1/7/10: Tried these three games, could not enjoy any of them. Boring combat and character development coupled with uninteresting characters and plot does not make for a fun, 30-40 hour experience. I got off the ride early in each case and don't regret it.

Dragon Quest/Warrior 1/2: Same complaints as the last category, except I wasn't smart enough to ditch DQ1 before the endgame in which my under-equipped and under-leveled character was unable to defeat the endboss without a heap ton of grinding. At the very least, my younger self had a good, intuitive grasp of the fallacy of sunken costs and quit, an understanding that would have been extremely helpful when playing some of Bethesda's timewasters.

Man, mainline jRPGs really put me off of the genre for quite some time.

Star Fox Adventures: Fuck that one instance of button-mashing that makes the Metal Gear Solid 1 torture sequence seem easy. That actually hurt to play. Then later in the game there was an even harder sequence. Called it quits then...bleeding (twice) for a mediocre OoT-clone isn't worth it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
All Divinity games (except Dragon Commander, which I managed to force myself to finish) - they all started great and were a blast to play for a while, but failed to keep me interested all the way through.

Might & Magic VII - of all Mights and Magic games this was the one I have been the closest to finish, but I lost my save game near the end. This has traumatized me so I have never played another Might & Magic again for more than a couple of hours.

All Obsidian games except KoTOR 2. Even though I liked them all (I have not played Dungeon Siege III and South Park, though).

All Troika games, especially Arcanum, which I started seriously three times (and around ten more not seriously) and every time quit during Black Mountain mines. It says a lot about a game's dungeon design if digging around in the trash is more interesting than exploring the dungeon. Bloodlines - quit in the sewers. ToEE - quit after reaching the temple.

Dragon Age: Origins - the boring-ass combat got the better of me during the second major quest.

Deus Ex - my playthrough was interrupted by external forces and when I never got back to it when I was able to. But I still plan to.

EDIT: Final Fantasy VIII - I forced myself to finish VII, but VIII was too derpy to endure - I quit after the first Laguna sequence.

EDIT: oh, yeah, Skyrim. The only Elder Scrolls I have played with the intention to finish it. It did not quite work out. Same thing with Fallout 3. I guess Betehesda type of RPG is just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The ones I rememember the most would be Eye of the Beholder 3 (those damned stone golems)
That godawful Conan RPG because of corrupted saves
Dark Queen of Krynn, again because of corrupted saves
And probably others, but I do Remember finishing both Diablo and Dungeon Siegue and feeling like I had gotten out of jail

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
X Rebirth. No explanation needed. But I'll give one anyways. It's utter fucking shit and unbearable even on its own, let alone as part ofthe X series.

Theme Park. Never finished that despite trying it many many times. No real reason except I got bored I guess.

Syndicate. No real reason same as above.

The first System Shock. I never finished it back in the day and tried again recently but I just cannot into that interface anymore.

Dark Souls (PS3). I dieded too much. Got sick of the endless load screens.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fallout Tactics. Dunno why, really.

Wizardry 8. I got very close to completing it and consider parts of it one of my favourite RPGs, but in the end it was just too many trash fights in too slow a system. Prolly gonna finish it someday.

Storm of Zehir. An embarrasing fact: I've actually tried finishing this three times. So many things speak to me. Character system, world map, dialogue system, pretty low-key story, some cool if shallow dungeons. Too bad NWN combat sucks massive donkey-balls.

Divinity: Original Sin: I liked what they did with the combat system and the encounters. The character system and the content can't carry the game's length at all though.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The ones I rememember the most would be Eye of the Beholder 3

That reminds me: I never completed EoB 2. The combat felt more and more silly, especially when I could dance around Basilisks so easily, remembering how deadly they could be in the Gold Box games if you didn't have mirrors.

System Shock 2 as well. Combo of resapwning, constantly breaking weapon and lack of ammo. Will definitely give it another try som day, though.

And Neverwinter Nights. Hated having to fight the camera all the time; why the fuck could the game not allow me to use a fixed first person view when I control only one motherfucker? Will give another try som day, but not the ultra bland original campaign.

Starwars

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin. Starts off being lots of fun, but then the enjoyment level just drops down and down and down and down...

Throne of Bhaal. I can't remember the specifics now, I just found it shitty. Maybe I should try it again.

While I've finished it, I've only finished Arcanum once even though I've started it like a million times. Such a shame that there are sooo many shitty sections to this otherwise awesome game.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eventhough I hate a game, I'll always try to complete them once I start, oh the horrors I have witnessed O_o. However there are some even I lost me patiance.
You guys left some strange games unfinished BTW.

Might& Magic Heroes 6: Thanks to numerous bugs I had to leave game unfinished.

Final Fantasy XIII: I literally fall asleep playing this one, tried to finish game by putting some weight on X button bu still...

Supablex: Only one level remained, hard game for me back then maybe I can finish if try it nowadays.

Battlebugs: Again only one level...How am I supposed to delay prating mantis enough with only one stinking bug...

laclongquan

Arcane
Lots and lots of game abandoned. Most notable is games that I completed.

IWD2: Very nice game but I got distracted after Ice Temple.

BG1: last effort get to right before the Temple. STill abandoned. My god it is boring. I completed the expansion many times but not the main campaign.

Fallout New Vegas: I almost always abandoned after getting to Vegas. Complete the DLCs several times, each, but not the main campaign. Why? I dont know.

Arcanum: got distracted at different points in game.

Morrowind: but of course. Once the fun of item crafting and modding pale, it get boring quite fast.

Witcher 1: got distracted in chapter 3, 4 or something.before.the final chapter

ROTK10. Never completely conquer every land. One reason I abandoned is the god awful province campaign AI, when they set up a campaign at province level.

Xeon

Augur
Fallout Tactics: I thought it will be a little more like the other Fallout but with more tactical battles or something. Kinda similar to Final Fantasy Tactics but it was kinda boring for me.

Icewind Dale II: I played it twice and both times I stopped playing a little bit after crashing the airship.

Arcanum: I stopped playing after finding the old man after the jungle and teleporting to the final boss area or something.

Baldur's Gate 2: I probably played this 5 or 6 times and never went beyond the second chapter, I just keep doing the quests until it feels kinda of a chore and end up quitting.

Rogue Galaxy: I can't remember why I didn't complete this but I always wanted to go back and play it again and complete it.

Neverwinter Nights 2: I stopped playing at the final boss battle I think, Game froze or something and didn't want to repeat the entire final confrontation.

Morrowind: Stopped playing after a while.

Edit:
Legend of Grimrock: I stopped playing I think in the half of the game, I liked a few of the puzzles but the combat was a little hectic I think.

I just noticed that most games I quit are the ones I played in the last 2 or 3 years, I can't remember quitting games when I was a kid. Dunno if it was because I was young and full of energy or if it was because not having that many RPG games available.

Last edited:
Pools of Darkness: I got tired of waiting for the random number generator to fall my way enough times to win the end battle. It was like having to win a coin toss ten times in a row.

Risen: Attempted to fight the final boss once. Exited to the game menu. Exited to Windows. Shut down my PC, and cried myself to sleep at this horrific vision of PB's future as a pop-a-mole developer.

Gord

Arcane
Gothic 3 + community patch: while I enjoyed it a lot initially, I simply burned out and lost interest after the bazillion orks and skeletons of Nordmar.

System Shock 1: Played a cracked copy back in school, quit after about 2/3 of the game when I literally hit a wall - where a passage was supposed to be, I had only a solid wall. Maybe a result of the crack. I still want to replay it one day, though...

Syndicate Wars: Started it multiple times, but always gave up on it eventually.

Several other games I usually started out of a mood while playing something else. When I went back to the original game, I forgot about the other one.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I remember being stuck by text enigma at several games like Legend of Fearghail and Bloodwych.

Morrowind : I ruined my savegame, i don't really know how.

Arcanum : Back in time, i didn't manage to switch savegames from one pc to another, i had the problems several times formatting the pc and losing the savegames.

Baten Kaitos Origins : As far as i am the system consisting in combining items during combat doesn't exist in this game, so i got bored. I'll probably return to that game someday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom