Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Blackguards: the poison cave level. It's right near the end of the game anyway I'm pretty sure. You are just placed in a shitty position where you have to outrun the poison mist and aggro a whole heap of shit, which of course blocks you from progressing further.

Arcanum - I actually hate steam punk, got to me after a while.

All the divinity games except original sin, I prob would have got bored of that too, except I was playing with my cousin.

Mustawd

Blackguards: the poison cave level. It's right near the end of the game anyway I'm pretty sure. You are just placed in a shitty position where you have to outrun the poison mist and aggro a whole heap of shit, which of course blocks you from progressing further.

Arcanum - I actually hate steam punk, got to me after a while.

All the divinity games except original sin, I prob would have got bored of that too, except I was playing with my cousin.

Why you hate steampunk?

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Why you hate steampunk?

It's just annoying the whole "leather with monocles, extra belt buckles strapped on, crystals and steam coming out of the top".
It's asethetically too cluttered and always looks like there is extra detail bolted on for no reason.
Alternate history stuff usually annoys me too, so maybe it's that as well.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Arcanum actually mostly avoided shit like that. I hate most Steampunk works for the same reasons but I was able to enjoy Arcanum without troubles.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Questron: because the floppy disk containing the Catacombs was corrupted. AARGH! This was on an Atari computer when I was around 10, and I'm still pissed about it. I gather from information I've seen since that I wasn't missing much, but I was enjoying it at the time.

More recently...

Might & Magic VI: got it around the time it came out. Before I could finish, the PC I was playing it on died. When I got a new one going, I just never got back to it. A couple years back I got reminded of it, and put it on my PC again... and that computer died before I finished it. I'll get back to it one day.

Heroes of Steel: maybe I will pick it up again eventually, but this game is boring the shit out of me.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Planescape: Torment: Stopped playing while doing some of the quests in Clerk's Ward.

Morrowind: Somewhere in the Ashlands, which by that time I was completely bored of the hiking and the lifelessness of the world.

Neverwinter Nights: SOU: Stopped playing halfway through. Never touched HOTU as a result.

Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal: High level shit completely destroyed this for me.

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PoE for sure. Single biggest disappointment of the last few years.

Also Wizardry 7. In my life I have spent more hours on this game than on several rpg's I completed combined. Yet I never saw its ending screen.

Ruhfuss

Savant
Dave's Challenge is optional.
If you've won the final battles you have completed the game, albeit not uh...completely.

But teenage me wanted to completely complete that game. Which is why teenage me let the party take that ship (the Challenger?). Then pulling that mystic clue crap without any hint caused a serious OCD freakout. I felt cheated, betrayed. After wasting so much time with that fucking game, they gave me the finger. Almost like saying, "Boy, take your wand, get out of your basement, set out for a real adventure, and spray your magic all over the place." Oh, well...

Hmm, or maybe the challenge was to accept that it's over...? Nah, bullshit.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition
Dead State
Morrowind
Skyrim
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Everything Bethesda actually

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Blackguards: the poison cave level. It's right near the end of the game anyway I'm pretty sure. You are just placed in a shitty position where you have to outrun the poison mist and aggro a whole heap of shit, which of course blocks you from progressing further

Btw by that point you should have pretty strong AoE spells and generally deal a lot of damage and the enemies in this specific map are rather weak... It was pretty easy and fast for me to be honest. And it didn't have crypt lice so it was done in 20-30 min.

Tabs

Novice
Planescape: Torment (story didn't hook me.)
NWN: HoTU (had just finished OC+SoU, got burned out.)
Freedom Force (don't remember why.)

POE, if the combat was strategic and turn based I'm sure I'd keep playing. Instead it's about fitting fighters into a doorway and spamming heals, it's a chore.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Bards Tale 2: Just got to a point where I sat back, stopped drawing the dungeon I was in and realised I wasn't fucking enjoying this shit. Screw Lagoth Zanta.
Dragon Age 2: Third chapter and obviously near end but one of their squeeing childish fucking jokes made me nope out of it and press awesome button, uninstall that is, wiped it from hard drive, then called in an exorcist and an industrial cleaning team just to be sure.
Fairlight?: Very old RPGish game from way back that I just got bored with, no depth.
Dun Darach: Got to admit I had no fucking idea what I was doing, game seemed space aged advanced though at time.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oblivion (beaten Shivering Isles though) - what a horrible turd to have a curse, stopped playing after Kvatch.
Skyrim - finished one guild, got bored (no unique loot = no fun).
Dragon Age 2 - stopped playing after about 2 hours in.
Dead State - I kept waiting for something to happen, nothing happened.
Pillars of Eternity - I guess I wasted the remaining patience of my youth on beating NwN2, which is equally if not less mediocre than POE.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Many, many RPGs I failed to complete but as for RPGs that I actually expected to be good enough to complete:

Arcanum - ultra-shitty combat and a total lack of balance just ruin the character progression, which makes me not want to play till the end.
Divinity: Original Sin - boring-as-fuck Divinity setting, unappealing WOW aesthetic and lame humor killed my desire to finish it.
TOEE - awful encounter design.
Wasteland 2 - overall too boring but I heard that later parts are really different, so I might complete this.
Pillars of Eternity - I stopped playing because I was waiting for the game to get patched and now I'm waiting for WM2 so I can play the game when it's finished. We'll see if I'm actually going to do that, though.
NWN 2 - combination of clunky controls and camera, awful combat animations that look like something is missing, annoying companions and overall blandness.
Oblivion - I didn't follow any gaming sites or gaming industry in general back then and I loved Morrowind so I thought Oblivion would be incredible. Holy shit.

Leitz

Learned
Especially Arcanum and Planescape Torment left a bitter taste. These games are in the top ten of many lists and seem to be the opposite of what I like about a RPG.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Fairlight?: Very old RPGish game from way back that I just got bored with, no depth.
Dun Darach: Got to admit I had no fucking idea what I was doing, game seemed space aged advanced though at time.

Wow, these old gems are rarerly mentioned.
Completed them both, myself.

Was very impressed with Fairlight's graphics and ultra smooth enemy movement on the ZX Spectrum. Unfortunately you needed a souped up Speccy with 128K to play F2.
Dun Darach had great atmosphere, but some rather obscure puzzled, so I needed help from various gaming magazines to complete it. I replayed Tir Na Nog and Dun Darach (very emulator friendly games) some years ago, and was partway through Marsport when I got tired of the rather gameplay which mostly consisted of moving items from one place to another.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Morrowind is the only one off the top of my head. I had some fun with it, but I was never engaged by the plot (I can't really remember what the plot was to be honest).

There's likely more, games I played for an hour or so before deciding they were bad and forgetting about them.

Edit: ToEE. I've never finished ToEE either, despite starting two times.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Since this is already necroed...

Is Faery Tale Adventure the game that you just run around everywhere, never see anyone, and it takes forever to get anywhere? I seem to recall CRPGaddict bitching about that in his blog a few years ago. Seemed really really boring.
CRPG Addict played an inferior port of Faery Tale Adventure, failing to grasp the importance of being part of the glorious Amiga masterrace*. He missed out on the graphics and music, and couldn't be bothered to do much exploring before giving up.

*It was very popular in Germany.

T. Reich

Arcane
Morrowind: by the time I left Vivec, I already had so much power that the rest of the game seemed awful boring. I couldn't imagine exploring all of it without any challenge, so I dropped the game.
Baldur's Gate: was in the endgame, about to go into sewers to finish off Sarevok, but then I decided that this is good time to do TotSC expansion. I entered Durlag's tower, got thoroughly bored and so I never finished BG1. Never played BG2 as a result either.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Wow, these old gems are rarerly mentioned.
Completed them both, myself.

Was very impressed with Fairlight's graphics and ultra smooth enemy movement on the ZX Spectrum. Unfortunately you needed a souped up Speccy with 128K to play F2.
Dun Darach had great atmosphere, but some rather obscure puzzled, so I needed help from various gaming magazines to complete it. I replayed Tir Na Nog and Dun Darach (very emulator friendly games) some years ago, and was partway through Marsport when I got tired of the rather gameplay which mostly consisted of moving items from one place to another.

Old fart nod of respect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom