Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
New Vegas is just a really flawed gem. With some unofficial patching it would become a true masterpiece.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I would very much recommend finishing Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

You might be right. It certainly wasn't horrible, I just mostly stopped playing because of other distractions both real world and other games. With D:OS EE-fatigue starting to creep in, I was looking for something else... I'd kind of forgotten out the SR games, but since you recommend it (and others appear to like it too) I'll probably pick it up again.
That combat, though...

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the combat, but if you're playing it more for the story or characters and whatnot, Dragonfall is still the best of the 3. Hong kong so far has not impressed me at all, nor did Deadman's Switch. Although that one at least kept my attention. The structure/pacing of Hong Kong is dreadful in my experience.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Divinity OS ,one of the few games that bored me beyond tears at 20-30 hours in.
My question is,did someone finished this fucking game?

I hope Larian gets their shit together in the writing department because as much as i like to kill muhsrooms and read bad translated jokes someone needs to say it,their games are fucking boring.

pippin

I assume you guys are talking about Dragonfall: DC? Because it's a completely different experience right from the start.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
New Vegas is just a really flawed gem. With some unofficial patching it would become a true masterpiece.

I'm actually playing it now, as the recent release of that Bethesda game has given me a hankering for some Fallout. I can manage it in small doses, but the main plot hasn't got going yet and without that it really is just Oblivion with guns part 2.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Reading this thread I have to wonder if a vast number of the posters on this site even LIKE RPGs....

They like rpgs and they even like the mediocre ones,but most of them don't want to admit it, because they are afraid to lose their prestigious ''hating on everything makes me cool'' title.

But hey,bitching is sure more fun than liking something:lol:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
For me even games that aren't that good are still good enough for a single playthru, so it doesn't happen that often that I won't finish a game at least once. Here are two:

DA:I (lol Biofail)
Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

Electryon

Savant
I can certainly see and understand not wanting to (or not being able to) finish a game like "Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor" or "Descent into Undermountain" as they were completely broken and the former was actually known to crash computers. But half the games listed in this thread are universally recognized as classics of the genre. The amount of people who didn't even want to finish Baldur's Gate 2 is astonishing. That's like being a movie fan and never making it through The Wizard of Oz.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can certainly see and understand not wanting to (or not being able to) finish a game like "Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor" or "Descent into Undermountain" as they were completely broken and the former was actually known to crash computers. But half the games listed in this thread are universally recognized as classics of the genre. The amount of people who didn't even want to finish Baldur's Gate 2 is astonishing. That's like being a movie fan and never making it through The Wizard of Oz.

You can't compare two different mediums like that. Movies last at an average of 1-2 hours long, give or take a few exceptions. cRPGs on the other hand, range from 15 to 100 hours long. Sitting through The Wizard of Oz takes about an afternoon, a fresh Baldur's Gate playthrough would take at least two weeks or so. It's not just the length either, but since we're actively involved in the progression, there's a bit more energy put into it than something more passive such as books or TV Shows. Especially if you don't like it.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons for not wanting to finish BG2, and still love cRPGs. After all, like The Wizard of Oz (which was originally a novel), they're not accepted as the greatest by everyone in their respected field.

SquidLord

Educated
The version of Fallout I had back in the 90's had a game breaking bug where it would crash whenever I got to the level the master was on. Didn't matter the path a took that is probably the most pissed I have ever been at a game.

Sothpaw

Learned
I am pretty good at finishing the rpgs I start. Here are the ones that I just couldn't deal with.

Morrowind: Worst leveling up/character progression sysyem ever.

Oblivion: Nevermind they made it worse.

Jade Empire: No one to blame but myself for buying.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Fallout 2: I don't know why I put this down when I was 1/3 through; I think it was something to do with my hate for endless trash mobs in world maps.

New Vegas: I swear to god everytime I get far in this game something happens and I end up losing my save files. It's gotten to the point where I just can't get through those first few hours anymore.

VTMB: Reformatted computer and forgot about my Hollywood save files.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Fallout 2 : New Reno + Real Life got in the way, twice.

Baldur's Gate 2 : Same, except put Watcher's Keep in place of New Reno.

BUT I'm quite sure if BG2 was turn based, I would have finished it.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Grimrock II recently and i was eager to buy/play it. Also started Witcher two times already with no result.

skyst

Augur
Alpha Protocol: I was playing as a stealth/diplomat/no-kill type character and got really, really frustrated about 15 hours in. I might replay it one day as a derpy fighter after hearing good things of the c&c.

Blackguards: I think I invested way too much time into the game during early access and could never be bothered to replay most of the game at release.

Divine Divinity: Missed this one when I was new, lost interest after 10 hours despite completing all Larian games since Divinity II, my first Larian experience.

Dungeon Siege III: Does this even count? My wife and I played together for about an hour and both hated it.

Legend of Grimrock: Lost interest after a few hours. Finished, and loved, LoG 2 so maybe I will return to the original some day.

Legends of Eisenwald: 40 hours in and it's still installed. I intend to finish soon. I am really enjoying this game.

Lords of Xulima: Game became very tedious once I realized that, after about 20 hours, I was nofuckingwhere near completion. Return doubtful.

Mars: War Logs: I enjoyed this for about 20 hours more than I expected. I must play games on the hardest difficulty and this game just got retarded upon the 3rd or 4th act. Each of the MANY fights was a snoozefest of rolling around and wearing enemies down. Story and setting were both kind of interesting actually.

Paper Sorcerer: I only gave it about 2 hours. The game seems really solid, if simple. Very neat concept and character classes. Definite backburner material.

Pillars of Eternity - The White March: Obsidian changed too many abilities or something between my completion of the base game and the release of the expansion. Killed by a drunken hobbit in the first expansion area with my end of game crew. I probably need to do a full replay once they're done releasing expansions, but tbh the game may not warrant a second play through.

Risen 2 - Dark Waters: Lost interest around 30 hours. I was probably close to completion, but... this game kind of sucked. Lost most of the exploration fun of the first game and combat became tedious.

Torchlight/Torchlight 2: These were both played as co-op experiences with the wife and/or a friend, which didn't last to completion. Probably wouldn't bother with a game like this solo.

I kind of feel like a piece of shit leaving this many unfinished. I blame the Steam, unfinishing a game was super rare for me when I still purchased physical copies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom