Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

Internet

Scholar
For me:

Arcanum: combat.
BG1: I abandoned it close to its end. I liked it overall, it just didn't catch me all the way.
Witcher1: not a big fan of the gameplay, left towards the end of the first big city.
Wizardry8: same as others.
Planescape Torment: didn't find anything really interesting into it. Might go back to this one given how lauded it is.

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
That's weird, I remember ToEE boss to be pathetically weak no matter in what way I summoned her, and I'm not terribly good at 3.X edition DnD.

Bizarre

Did you get into elemental realms and defeat all the 4 demons? You can get into her chamber and trigger the combat event very early in the game. The only reason I can think of is that you were underleveled.

RandomAccount

This thread is 3 pages long. I could make it into 20 with every game I've started.

Indeed...

Oh yeah, I forgot:

Fallout 1 - got to this encampment where there were so many people to talk to all of whom had 3 billion things to say I quite literally fell asleep. Not even joking. I read to help me drift off at night, reading has that effect on me. I can manage if it's not too bad, but that place was like something I've never experienced before or since. It probably improves, but I just can't stay awake long enough to find out.

Dragon Age 2 - (Dis)Honorable mention. With this game I wanted to quit at the end of Act 2, having already decided the game was shite after Act 1 and just playing for the curiosity factor. There's nothing stopping you playing DA2 you see, for Act 3 I decided to end all conversations as quickly as possible, regardless of what 'choices' I made and quite literally ham-fisted battles like I just don't care, the emphasis on "Just how bad is this game". The game offers no excuse to quit, it just gives you a desire to quit, which for RPG addicts are two different things. You kind-of end up hating it for not giving you an excuse not to complete it.

RandomAccount

Did you get into elemental realms and defeat all the 4 demons? You can get into her chamber and trigger the combat event very early in the game. The only reason I can think of is that you were underleveled.

That's the thing, I have no idea...

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Am the only one who wasn't bothered all that much by Arcanums combat? It's shit but if you create a good character and choose real time mode you can get over with it prettty quickly. I also never got the enourmous hate for the Black Mountain Mines. Examples of fine game design they are not, but they didn't leave a traumatizing impression on me. I barely remember them.

A user named cat

There were so many games I've left unfinished or simply lost interest in, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Adventure, RPG, strategy, sim racing, hell, even old Madden franchises I quit halfway into a season never to return. I can't believe anyone here can even come up with a competent list.

The latest would have to be Divinity: OS and that is unfortunate. I have no idea why I've stopped playing but don't really have much interest in getting back to it, been a couple weeks now. I think I was in some desert area with howling wind and battling those annoying fucking burrowing spammers while being under-leveled. Maybe I stopped out of pure gaming laziness, maybe that whole area dragged me out of the experience or maybe it just doesn't capture what the first DD had despite superior combat mechanics. I don't know.
Well, perhaps you'd feel compelled to finish it if you bought the game.

:troll:
I know, I feel kind of guilty. It's still installed though so I will get back to it eventually, even if I have to force myself.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception. Lost interest.

Wasteland. Lost interest.

Icewind Dale 1: Lost interest in Dorn's Deep.

Icewind Dale 2: Lost interest.

Ultima V. Couldn't focus. Should probably try again.

Ultima VII. From Ultima VII Collection. Didn't have manual .pdfs couldn't answer many questions. Printed manual and map that shipped in game box allowed only to leave Trinsic. Later couldn't get Exult to run with sound.

Fallout Tactics. Lost interest during robot missions.

Arcanum. Lost interest somewhere after the elven city. Can't get past my dislike of mechanics and character creation and development system.

Pool of Radiance. Lost interest.

Darklands. Lost interest.

Jagged Alliance 2. Lost interest.

Exile 1. Lost interest.

Exile 2. Lost interest.

Planescape: Torment. At some point near the end memory leaks made the game unplayable.

Ultima VIII Pagan. Lost interest after playing it for a long time.

To be honest, the only cRPGs that I have finished were Fallout 2, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, BG2:ToB and ADOM.

Last edited:

That's the thing, I have no idea...

Elemental planes are pretty hard to forget. Most of the time you are walking through a temple with rooms and shit, elemental planes are: a gigantic cave, a lake of fire, some sort of island and floating platforms. You also fight with enemies you don't encounter in the temple. Like Salamanders.

baturinsky

Arcane
Usually if I lost interest to the game in the middle of playthrough, I soon just forget about it.
For me more memorable are games that I finished once, and they was so good that I decide to replay them, but can not finish replay. I usually stop each time after some particularly boring part, when I realise (based on my previous playthrough) that it's not gonna be any more fun later.

In BG, I usually bail after Nashkel Mines.
In HOMM3 after first campaign.
DMC4 between ice palace and jungles.
NWN in the middle of second part.
ADwR after returning from the temple.
System Shock 2 in or before Rickenbacker.

RandomAccount

Elemental planes are pretty hard to forget.

They are? How would I know if I've forgotten them? I remember a cave, had a Glabrezu in it and some infuriating bald things(?). I remember a long white marble corridor with shit attacking me in it. As for the Platforms and the lake... possibly, I have no idea.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I almost never finish games. The list would go on and on. I think i finished Wolfenstein 3d and Dune2. Thats about it. I cant recall any RPG i ever finished. I still play a lot of current ones and oldies too, switching constantly. With only about 4 hours available for play per week, i may finish one someday, but probably wont.

Last edited:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
A lot of them, really, though for the most part I simply tried them out and didn't like what I saw (like EotBs), so I'm listing only the ones I did enjoy playing at least a lil' bit:
- ToEE. The module is just that boring.
- M&M VIII. I actually made it through the infamous ninth part but couldn't stomach the late game VIII. Beats me why.
- Wizardry 8. As people said already, the battles tire you out. I can't count the number of times I've started the game. One day I will finish it.
- Betreyal in Antara. Became boring.
- Shadowrun Returns. Lost interest I suppose.
- Divinity OS. The battles started to become easy, and the story wasn't gripping me. I will return to it sometime.
- Most, if not all, of Geneforges/Avernums. They're just too long for what they offer. The only Vogel game I finished was Nethergate.
- NWN OC because it was irredeemable piece of shit.
- SoZ, because it was somewhat combat-oriented, and we all know how combat works on this engine. (I did finish OC somehow - and MotB of course)
- Jagged Alliance 2. Similarly to Wizardry, I played it A LOT but tend to lose focus somewhere before Meduna (never got there at all yet). Will finish it sometime.
- Icewind Dale 2. Easily the worst IE game, still rather good and I wanted to get my shit together and complete it recently, but it works really slowly for whatever reason.
- Arx Fatalis. Couldn't escape the immortal black hound (I think I was supposed to jump on a ladder, but I couldn't).
- Witcher 2. Horrible QTE boss fight.
- Drakensang. Got bored.
- Drakensang RoT. I did something stupid/something bugged out (can't remember) in the final area, wasn't able to pick it up again.
- Legend of Grimrock. Got bored with dancing.

For me, I would make a list of games that I *did* complete. I always find myself immensely reluctant to continue playing game once I have explored most of the mechanics. Then the only real encouragement remaining is a good story. Most games offer a limp wet noodle of a progression in that department after half their lengths. This is bad because after becoming a physical deity in the game, the real motivation to keep on going is the mystery of what is to come. Once that is reduced to "Go and defeat the ancient dragon/ demon/ god/ his cultists", there is no drive in the game except the mindless desire to see it to the end. One would think that since such a situation is almost ubiquitous in most games under the category of RPGs, someone would figure out sooner or later that the progression of the story has to correspond to the mechanics progression thus offering a changing gameplay throughout the length of the game. But it seems that till date most games have missed such an opportunity to come up with a product that engages us from beginning to the end.

For example, I loved the new Blackguards game in terms of its Turn based gameplay. But after I had leveled all my party to the utmost skill levels, I did not find myself motivated enough to play ahead. This particular experience has held true for me almost for all the RPGs I have played. Dragon age, NWN, NWN2, IWDs, Wizardry, Summoner, Diablo, Gothics, TOEE etc I just could not bring myself to finish.

It is quite an exercise for myself, when I consider what games I finished. Torment, for example, had a mediocre mechanics, but the story alone allowed me to pull the dead weight of the game to the end. Same holds true for Deus Ex and the second vampires game. These games had some interesting gameplay elements, but they fizzled out halfway through.

So overall I feel that mechanics alone can not carry a game. You need a good story to take it to the end.

I completely agree. I can not finish BG2 or even start ToB because once you become basically a God the world and its surroundings lose interest. Games are most fun at beginning and middle, but for whatever reason almost all RPG's and the fans think there is something cool about being 48th level and fighting Gods and armies of dragons while saving the entire universe.

RPG's tend to be most fun as you explore the new world and its unknown mechanics; it should not be so hard to keep these things relevant by limiting character progression and reigning in scope and uber awesomeness of the story. This includes toning down weapon damage, hit points etc, but nobody seems to be able to do this. Everybody thinks making and playing characters with 7800 Hp's who do 486 damage per swing while dual wielding two handed swords and casting fireballs out of their eye sockets is the height of game play awesomeness... but in reality the game has become complete shit at this point and most of the fans lose interest and quit and don't even know why. If DO you ask them why they quit they probably would say 'Not enough Fireballs and Dragons' and so developers listen and the circle continues.

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
It has less to do with higher levels of power being bad by themselves and more with high-level DND being shit. Might and Magic did high-level party well IMO. And it even was about killing dragons by dozens and throwing fireballs everywhere.

purpleblob

Savant
BG1: I've finished it once but a long time ago, heavily relying on walkthroughs, so I barely remember anything about it once I got to city of Baldur's Gate. I've finished BG2 numerous times before playing BG1 which was a problem - compared to BG2, BG1 just isn't good enough.
PS:T: Again, finished once heavily relying on walkthroughs. I disliked this game a lot, I got so sick of reading wall of texts it felt like a chore. I actually enjoyed reading PDF version of this rather than actually playing game (and get stuck at never-ending dialogue wheel).
IWD2: This game lags like crazy on my PC (played this year for the first time) which annoyed me enough as it is but once I got to Dragon's Eye after f*cking Ice Temple, just couldn't take it anymore.
MotB: I hate NWN2 engine. A lot. I don't know how I managed to finish OC a couple of times, but by the time I got around to MotB, I couldn't take the engine anymore. Also, I don't find depressing story like PS:T or MotB doesn't really appeal to me. On top of that, MotB story nor the world wasn't near as intriguing as PS:T.
NWN OC: What is this garbage?? I did finish SoU and HotU though.
Jade Empire: Westerners might find this interesting but I found it dead set wrong, and dead set boring.
KotOR1&2: I don't find SW universe interesting.... I found KotOR2 a lot more interesting especially characters, but due to time restriction and burnt out syndrome, wasn't able to get back.
Arcanum: Those f*cking wolves... got sick of being knocked down by loss of stamina.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Am the only one who wasn't bothered all that much by Arcanums combat? It's shit but if you create a good character and choose real time mode you can get over with it prettty quickly. I also never got the enourmous hate for the Black Mountain Mines. Examples of fine game design they are not, but they didn't leave a traumatizing impression on me. I barely remember them.

Define "good" character.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
holla_cabezas_de_mierda
It has less to do with higher levels of power being bad by themselves and more with high-level DND being shit. Might and Magic did high-level party well IMO. And it even was about killing dragons by dozens and throwing fireballs everywhere.

I will try and answer your question to holla.

I have a feeling that it is more of a result of lack of reciprocation from the game on two levels. On the first, it refuses to acknowledge that you have gained enough power to conquer the world. But I believe that this is not the most important reason why the game loses interest from me. My real problem is that at high levels of gameplay the game lacks a feeling of accomplishing anything new. Maybe my view of what is a High level differs from yours and that is the source of some misunderstanding from me. For me, you have reached a high level when there is no novel mechanical element left to explore.

When you hit the "high" levels you are forced into mostly repetitive type of engagements coupled with repetitive tactics. I don't think that this is limited to D&D. Most games suffer from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom