Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Saint Kotar a 2D Psychological Horror Point & Click Adventure

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.saintkotar.com/

June 14, 2016 - Pula, Croatia (EU) - Tanais Games is announcing its first game, “Saint Kotar”, for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Currently in early stage of development, coming out in 2017.

Saint Kotar is a 2D point and click adventure game. The game merges psychological horror narrative and classically inspired point 'n click adventure mechanics with switchable characters. Digitally hand-painted with a distinctive 2D art style that fits the game’s mood, fully voiced and featuring an original eerie soundtrack, Saint Kotar draws inspiration from p&c classics like Broken Sword and Monkey Island, along with the works from horror fiction writers such as H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe.

The plot

Invited to attend an exhibition of rare medieval art, the protagonists travel to Saint Kotar at the end of October 2006. The welcoming is cold and atrocious, as they find themselves dragged abruptly in a macabre series of murders, allegedly related to Satanic worship and witchcraft. These dreadful acts compel the protagonists to follow the shadow of something deeply hidden behind the town’s dark past.
Surrounded by a tenebrous aura of mystery, madness and fear, the protagonists to survive have to struggle not only against the unknown, but against themselves too, ultimately uncovering the vile truth of their own past.​

Some screenshots here: http://www.gameboomers.com/Pressreleases/Saint Kotar/Saint Kotar.htm

Looks pretty damn sweet. And always looking for more Dark PnC adventure games. Hope this turns out good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

From the Codex inbox:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

SAINT KOTAR
2.5D APPROACH AND EARLY GAMEPLAY REVEAL VIDEO

March 27, 2017 - Pula, Croatia (EU) - Saint Kotar was announced last year in June as a 2D point and click adventure game in development. Recently, after investing many months testing and brainstroming, we’ve finally decided the game is going to be a 2.5D game.

To avoid any misunderstandings how’s this decision going to impact the visual look of the game, we’ve made a video showing the difference between 2D and 2.5D approaches. Additionally, the video shows some early gameplay footage and mechanics, along with original music themes and sound effects made by our own composers in the team. It’s important to highlight that the footage is pre-alpha and does not represent the quality and visual look of the final product. Everything featured in the video will be improved and there's still a lot of work to be done!

YouTube link to the video: https://youtu.be/HlL3OVZqwUk

Reasons why we’ve decided for the 2.5D approach in confront of true 2D:

- fluid natural movements and animations of characters
- dynamic lightning and shadows of characters
- better overall experience and immersiveness

“What led us to the reasons in favor of the 2.5D approach is the fact that Saint Kotar has a psychological horror narrative, a serious dark tone within a real world setting.” explained Marko Tominić, game director, writer and designer. “It doesn’t have characters with giant heads and long arms for example, or houses with strange unearthly shapes and dimensions. Something weird and mysterious is going on in the town of Saint Kotar, but the place is located in the mountainous region of Croatia. In Europe. On Earth. And thus, in order to achieve better player immersiveness in a real world setting, we’ve decided 2.5D approach to be the best. At some level this could be achieved in a true 2D approach as well, but never good enough as in 2.5D.”

Blog post explaining the decision: http://www.tanaisgames.com/blog-post/2d-or-25d-the-verdict

We are currently developing a playable demo of the game. The plan is to have it fully tested and ready to be published in a few months (late June or early July), which will lead to the immediate start of Saint Kotar’s Kickstarter campaign. More news and updates to follow soon!

About the game:
Saint Kotar is a 2.5D point and click adventure game in development for Windows, Mac, and Linux. The game merges psychological horror narrative and classically inspired point 'n click adventure mechanics with switchable characters. Digitally hand-painted with a distinctive art style that fits the game’s mood, fully voiced and featuring an original eerie soundtrack, Saint Kotar draws inspiration from p&c classics like Broken Sword and Monkey Island, along with the works from horror fiction writers such as H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe.

Plot of the game:
Invited to attend an exhibition of rare medieval art, the protagonists travel to Saint Kotar at the end of October 2006. The welcoming is cold and atrocious, as they find themselves dragged abruptly in a macabre series of murders, allegedly related to Satanic worship and witchcraft. These dreadful acts compel the protagonists to follow the shadow of something deeply hidden behind the town’s dark past.

Links:
www.saintkotar.com
www.facebook.com/SaintKotar
twitter.com/SaintKotar
www.tanaisgames.com

About us:
Tanais Games is an indie game development studio from Croatia. Founded in autumn 2015, the studio’s mission is to develop high quality point & click adventure games while drawing inspiration from the 90’s greatest p&c titles. Using creativity and passion the studio wants to become the missing piece of the puzzle in the lately genre renaissance. The studio’s first, and currently only, title is Saint Kotar. More about us at: http://www.tanaisgames.com

Lostpleb

Learned
I've been sold on this genre ever since I played Hugo's House of Horrors as a wee lad. I'm down for a KS.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Free prologue demo coming soon:

The story takes place in Sveti Kotar, an ancient town that lies hidden in a mountain region of Croatia. It is a place tormented by agony and sorrow, kept alive by the faith of its furtive inhabitants.

Follow the fear of Benedek Dohnany and Nikolay Kalyakin and play the onset of a dark and chilling narrative adventure. Switch control between these two fascinating characters and experience the reality around you change.

Saint Kotar: The Yellow Mask is a free demo that let’s you play the beginning of the full game Saint Kotar. It follows a mysterious set of events that lead to a macabre series of murders, allegedly related to devil worship and witchcraft.

KEY FEATURES:
  • Free prologue to the full game Saint Kotar.
  • A glimpse of a vast and foreboding world to explore.
  • Dark psychological horror set in a small rural town of Sveti Kotar.
  • Hand-painted distinctive art style that fits the game’s mood.
  • Eerie original soundtrack.
  • Classically inspired point and click adventure gameplay.
  • Switch between playable characters and different realities.
  • Solve puzzles to unravel a captivating and mysterious plot.
  • Meet weird and chilling characters.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd been looking forward to this, for... 4 years, it seems.
:negative:
The demo started off promising, and then it sort of fell apart (a sleepy hour and a half). The voice acting was painfully slow, which was sort of interesting and realistic at first, but just seemed un-directed and schizophrenic. There weren't any real puzzles in the demo, and most exploration is walled off. They switched from the cool looking Broken Sword 2D characters to 3D
rating_rage.gif
. Still it looks like they've got a lot of art done, it could turn out ok with the voices off.

wishbonetail

Learned
Game tries to resemble Black Mirror and is carried on atmosphere alone. I'm a sucker for a foggy, mysterious, backwater, horror-villages so I fell for it.
Gameplay itself is very light with no puzzles, minimum item manipulation (use your single item on this one hotspot) and if you're still stuck your character will give you a hint ("Hmm, this 3-feet pole might come in handy", "Hmm, it fits perfectly in my asshole"). Most of the time you'll be slowly jogging, engaging in dialogs and choosing options, which is baffling, because you you'll need to click them all in order to proceed. Why would they have an options in the first place? Only sometimes they offer some decision making which will change the narrative in some way. Devs also implemented cheap deaths crap and its not even 'Space Quest tier cheap deaths crap', which is another baffling thing, since it can fuck up your saves bigtime. Thus being said, It feels more like a VN disguised as point n'click.
I usually do not bash games for being buggy but this is just severely undercooked, which doesn't help. Unresponsive controls, janky interactions, plotholes, not thought out cheap deaths and failstates, inconsistent narrative and characters and no quick travel with doubleclick. It needs another year in the oven, badly.
And here's my main gripe, this is for anyone who played demo. I think that full game is a huge downgrade from demo, or what was it, in terms of characters and storytelling. Prologue and characters clearly were written and rewritten all over, and revoiced too into a mess. It had that religious angsty neurotic type character Banedikt and another one sketchy sceptic drug-poppin' Nicholai . Interactions between them, slighly reminiscing of Holmes-Watson relationship, and mystery premise is what got me hooked. But this was changed, for what reason I don't know. Benedikt has been mostly removed of his angst and now he's just a stern religious type with some issues (a missed opportunity to explore religious neuroticism topic), and Nicholai's been butchered into a strung-out raving lunatic right from the start and I kinda feel pity for his voiceactor (or maybe he got what he deserved being an annoing bone in the ass).
Thus this game has no likeable, nor relateble, nor interesting characters. The feature of playing two chars was also thrown in the window after these nerfs, which was underused and, frankly, not needed, since they both are lame shits now. These are my highly subjective impressions and maybe writers has this all figured out from the get go, I dunno.

tldr This game does have potential but it strongly reminded me of my "get 'em a year after release" policy.

Nicebrain

Educated
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I never did give it another try, I so I guess I did lacked to mutch

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom