Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row 2

DriacKin

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
GTAIV was enjoyable because of the characters
Bullshit.
None of the characters were anything but completely generic cliches. The over 9000 super generic Italian mobsters, the stereotypical gay dude, the (insanely obvious) undercover cop, etc... None of them had the slightest bit of depth or were memorable at all.

In fact, the only character in the entire game I found to be memorable was Roman. And the only thing I found memorable about him was just how annoying he was. Almost as bad as Jar Jar.

DriacKin said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Bullshit.
None of the characters were anything but completely generic cliches. The over 9000 super generic Italian mobsters, the stereotypical gay dude, the (insanely obvious) undercover cop, etc... None of them had the slightest bit of depth or were memorable at all.

Yes, they were all walking cliches (which is sort of the point, as the game is making fun of american culture in general), but to me that doesn't equal unenjoyable. And Michelle just becomes insanely obvious when you visit her house and she hides something while Niko is looking the other way (which is supposed to be a comedic moment, anyway).

Jacob and Badman, for eample, are cliche jamaican men, but their dialogue is hilarious (perhaps because it's cliche)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD2zEmuHqV8

Brucie is a perfect caricature of steroid abusers, and every cutscene with him made me laugh out loud. Click any of the below if you want to refresh your memory, can't choose one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jalLGMbt0ZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0zFaE9tJcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFRPH8StsSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0zFaE9tJcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cW4vPP13fo

In fact, the only character in the entire game I found to be memorable was Roman. And the only thing I found memorable about him was just how annoying he was. Almost as bad as Jar Jar.

No.

Multi-headed Cow

HEY I'M SHITTING WITH YOU, BRUCIE LIKES PUSSY. REMEMBER THAT, ALRIGHT?

DriacKin

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
DriacKin said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Bullshit.

Yes, they were all walking cliches (which is sort of the point, as the game is making fun of american culture in general), but to me that doesn't equal unenjoyable.
But that's the problem. GTA4 seemed like it actually wanted you to take it seriously at times. It never really knew what it was trying to be. I was never really sure if it was trying to be a gritty, Scorsese-esque gangster tale, or was it actually meant to be an over-the-top parody of such?
In the end, just having a bunch of cliches doesn't make the story funny. It just makes it really generic and cliche. In order for something to work well as a parody, it needs to go sufficiently over-the-top and have good humor -- and GTA4 had none of the above. To me, GTA4 felt like a game where half of the developers thought they were trying to make a campy Scarface-esque parody, and the other half thought they were trying to make a grim, serious, Sidney Lumet-esque story. Ultimately, it just never came together and just felt cliche, trite, and contrived.

Jacob and Badman, for eample, are cliche jamaican men, but their dialogue is hilarious (perhaps because it's cliche)
I might've found them more funny if I could actually understand a single word they were saying.

Brucie is a perfect caricature of steroid abusers, and every cutscene with him made me laugh out loud.
Admittedly, Brucie made me laugh several times. But, in a game that's supposed to last 30 hours, he was the only character that wasn't banal, shit, boring.

No.
Yes.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WOW BROS DEBATING THIS POPAMOLE TRASH IS LOLOLLO!!11

BROS GTAIV IS BETTER BECAUSE OF BRUCIE RIDE THE SWORD BITCHES????

Data4

Arcane
DriacKin said:
I might've found them more funny if I could actually understand a single word they were saying.

That's kind of the point. I guess it depends on your experience, or lack thereof, with people like that. I've found myself trying to converse with a fresh-off-the-boat rasta before, and my reaction was just like Nico's. I needed a translator.

DriacKin said:

That's sort of the point, Jacob has to act as a interpreter for Badman the first time you meet him (the video I linked)

Then again, I never had a problem understanding them (well, Jacob at least), while some native english speakers complain about that, am I some genius or something? :?. I play with subtitles, though.

No.
Yes.

youa re dumb

MapMan

Arcane
Brucie was my fav character in GTA IV. For some reason, he felt like being voiced by 2 different people. I also liked some of the brucie backstory in Ballad of the gay tony.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
root said:
great. will be acquiring shortly.
it is much more enjoyable if you make a female main character running around in high heels and using female voice 2 or 3 (the one that sounds a little bit like femshep), btw.

Data4

Arcane
Apparently, SR2 has a pretty good character designer. I was looking at some YT vids and there are a bunch of fairly well done celebrity lookalikes. Game looked p. cool too. Might have to grab it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
yeah, the chargen is pretty awesome.
if you can, grab it on a console and not pc. the pc port has issues, even after the patches.

Also, you can enter chargen at any time, just go to a plastic surgeon and you can change sex, body, hairstyle and everything for a small fee. Pretty awesome since you can make any new character that comes to your mind, at any time. I eventually ended up with this guy, by accident

180px-Mr-Fuji.jpg

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
MapMan said:
Brucie was my fav character in GTA IV. For some reason, he felt like being voiced by 2 different people. I also liked some of the brucie backstory in Ballad of the gay tony.

Yeah the scenes with Mori and Brucie were great. It felt so fitting that Mori was only like 5 feet tall.

pipka

Savant
Man, I was sceptical about how fun this game was. But I was wrong. Over-the-top action is fun. And customization options are almost limitless. I was liek wtf: jaw depth, brow width, nose length, etc.

And there is some kind of mega mod compilation for it. Combines mods and fixes.
Link to official thread
Creator's site.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
You know, some people here don't talk out of their ass.

Silellak

Cipher
root said:
i just wanted to say i'm in love with this game
fucking amazing ambience: check
multiple ways to approaching a mission: check
FUN dynamic open-world: check
dialogue? MILES better than any recent rpg
voice-acting? fucking amazing
over the top done right: check

fuck i love this game with all my heart, GTA doesn't hold a candle to this shit. apart from the graphics. they are...ugly. quite ugly.
i wanna marry this game.

:love:
:thumbsup:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Nah man, Clockwork Knight just doesn't understand the concept of "FUN".

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
root said:
i just wanted to say i'm in love with this game
fucking amazing ambience: check
multiple ways to approaching a mission: check
FUN dynamic open-world: check
dialogue? MILES better than any recent rpg
voice-acting? fucking amazing
over the top done right: check

fuck i love this game with all my heart, GTA doesn't hold a candle to this shit. apart from the graphics. they are...ugly. quite ugly.
i wanna marry this game.

:love:
just be sure to call 5555966 after you finish the brotherhood.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
Hmm, I've seen this being sold for pretty cheap (PC version that is). Question about the modding & patches, are they improving issues that haven't been taken care of, or is it more of the 'rendered nipples and anime hair' variety style modding?

I've heard the game is horribly optimized for PC, and I'm a little short on the bandwidth to demo it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I didn't get the pirated version to run on my PC so I removed it from inventory.

Would probably buy it on a 2-dollar sale.

Multi-headed Cow

Then you're in luck because it's going to be sold at 75% off on Direct2Drive. It's also one of the games that can be registered on Steam with a CD key, so if you prefer Steam you can buy it off D2D and slap your key on Steam and have it added to your account.
On the 10th (Saturday) it'll be 75% off.

I will warn you the PC version is a complete piece of shit stability-wise. I also picked it up for $5 and it's unplayable. When I was talking about the Red Faction Guerrilla speed bug in the Steam deal thread, this game also has that. It also has (For some people) massive stuttering while driving around. Not FPS dips, just weird stutters. Supposedly has something to do with hard drive speed. In any case, the PC version has been abandoned by the developer so any fixes if you have issues would have to come from the community.
Root's having a great time but the game's unplayable on my machine, so it's a crapshoot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom