Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row the Fourth

Papa Môlé

Arcane
3 was way better than 2. 2 was a shitty GTA clone that was trying to get me to take its retarded story seriously. They didn't get good until they established their own identity as wacky stoner games.

Not to mention 2 was the probably the worst PC port I ever played.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2 had its bizarre serious moments, but after that guy got fridged, the Brotherhood storyline became a delightful Warner Bros cartoon-esque game of over-the-top one-up-man-ship, a funnier The Prestige.

When it comes to gameplay, 2 and 3 were mixed bags. There were things I liked and hated about both.

deuxhero

Arcane
2's combat was good but not perfect, but 3 was pure shit.

PC was too fragile and most weapons were too weak upgraded that instead of being the awesome badass the game SAID you were, you hid and slowly killed everyone. T

The way vechicle explosions are handled alone ruins 3. Rather than sufficient damage making a vechicle catch fire then explode after time has pased, 3 stupidly decided to make vehicles catch fire (causing quick damage till its destroyed) after passing a low health threshold then explode when they hit 0 health. This allows further bullets to make cars explode faster, meaning that if see the only visible sign of significant small arms damage to your vechicle, it's too late to bail out.

(Insurance Fraud: grab a heli, fly as high as you can, bail out and faceplant on a car)

I'll have to try this sometime. I always just went to a highway and got myself tossed between as many cars as possible.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
3 was way better than 2. 2 was a shitty GTA clone that was trying to get me to take its retarded story seriously.
it didn't try to take the story seriously, but it didn't go all satyr play on it either (with exceptions like septic avenger), which is why it was good. it utilized the few serious moments very well as contrast to make the rest funnier and more absurd. you have to be fucking braindead to think that it tried to take itself seriously with stuff like breaking martha stewart laura out of jail so she can analyze the loa dust..
Not to mention 2 was the probably the worst PC port I ever played.
it was a terrible port and yet i finished it without even knowing about the speedup bug that caused me to retry the goddamn funeral chase mission 20ish times (which in turn didn't make me feel the slightest bit of bad when they buried him alive, fucking asshole deserved it).

Papa Môlé

Arcane
3 was way better than 2. 2 was a shitty GTA clone that was trying to get me to take its retarded story seriously.
it didn't try to take the story seriously, but it didn't go all satyr play on it either (with exceptions like septic avenger), which is why it was good.

It didn't, except for all those times it did. Right.

it utilized the few serious moments very well as contrast to make the rest funnier and more absurd. you have to be fucking braindead to think that it tried to take itself seriously with stuff like breaking martha stewart laura out of jail so she can analyze the loa dust..

SR2 fans are always saying they miss the "gritty" story from 2 or some such tripe. Many people take it quite seriously.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
SR2 fans are always saying they miss the "gritty" story from 2 or some such tripe. Many people take it quite seriously.
those other people aren't here. we're talking about you saying it was shit because it wanted you to take its dark action comedy story seriously, which i call bullshit on.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
It's shit for a lot of reasons, that just being one of them. Well not even shit so much as just a mediocre game in a stuffed genre. It's a boring GTA ripoff most of the time without nearly as much of the wacky stuff like the crazy weapons and cars and scenes like the wrestling match and such as in 3. Just generic GTA go here and do a minigame stuff without any pizazz and free roaming isn't nearly as interesting either for the same reason. Dildobat and dubstep gun are stupid yes but you spend half the time in these games killing random peds and it's more fun to to do that way then with yet another baseball bat or shotgun. The only thing it has going for it to me is that there are more environments besides the city but since it isn't as much fun to screw around that's not a big plus. Well that and Shaundi was hotter and less irritating I suppose. Also I refuse to forgive how atrocious the port was. Driving around wasn't even fun because the game had to load every other block.

deuxhero

Arcane
Saints Row 2 worked because it had serious moments that made the jokes funnier and was serious enough for some very good black humor.

I've never seen anyone claim 2 was entirely serious (Ronin, Sons and Brotherhood line can be categorized as serious, funny and a mix of both respectively, but even the Ronin missions have goods jokes)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I remember the advertisements for 2 marketed it as a much wackier and over-the-top alternative to GTA4. Pretty sure they even called out the "bowling with your friends" nonsense.

Don Peste

Arcane
SR4 is even worse than SR3. The whole superpowers gimmick shows they ran out of ideas and just went out with the easier "fuck everything" way. "Fuck everything bad" way.

If someone had fun with the SR2 story, be a playa and get SR1 (Sadly you'll need a 360). It's fun and nostalgic to see how it all started.

deuxhero

Arcane
SR4 is better than 3 (though not as good as 2). The super powers actually make the gameplay pretty unique compared to the common shooting+cover+health regen combat.

Most important change is the jokes are actually good instead of 3's ITS WHACKY SO ITS FUNNY crap.

If you already have it, it's not like it's a long game. Got just under 100% completion in 24 hours on the free weekend.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Who cares they are reusing assets when they are reusing them in style.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I've started playing SR4, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. What weapons are worth upgrading?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
SR4 is even worse than SR3. The whole superpowers gimmick shows they ran out of ideas and just went out with the easier "fuck everything" way.
you're looking at it the wrong way. sr3 happened and fucked the series up, but you should look at sr4 less like a sequel to sr2 and more like a saints row take on prototype and infamous, where sr2 was a saints row take on and essentially a better san andreas. sure it's worse than sr2, but it is quite a good superhero game with some nice quips at mass effect to boot. sr4 is essentially the new vegas after fo3.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've played SR 2 after SR4 and SR3 and was very surprised how good it actually was. I liked the story of all things.

Don Peste

Arcane
SR4 is even worse than SR3. The whole superpowers gimmick shows they ran out of ideas and just went out with the easier "fuck everything" way.
you're looking at it the wrong way. sr3 happened and fucked the series up, but you should look at sr4 less like a sequel to sr2 and more like a saints row take on prototype and infamous, where sr2 was a saints row take on and essentially a better san andreas. sure it's worse than sr2, but it is quite a good superhero game with some nice quips at mass effect to boot. sr4 is essentially the new vegas after fo3.
Yes, I understand the original SR is over. I guess someone else will try to become the GTA alternative. Like Sleeping Dogs. Or maybe GTA 4 itself.
But I've never liked superhero games. :(

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I've played SR 2 after SR4 and SR3 and was very surprised how good it actually was. I liked the story of all things.
it'S not just the story but the storytelling itself that is infinitely better. all the little details, exposition, plus the mix of drama and comedy were very well done. i wonder what happened that made sr3 such a huge fuckup.

Caim

Arcane
it'S not just the story but the storytelling itself that is infinitely better. all the little details, exposition, plus the mix of drama and comedy were very well done. i wonder what happened that made sr3 such a huge fuckup.
They forgot what the Saints were and turned them into something overhyped and full of itself.

I still believe that this was not a coincidence with how the Saints themselves were painted in SR3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom