Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row the Fourth

DeepOcean

Arcane
That is the irony of destiny, a few years back there were a fucking ton of GTAs wannabes and now it will take forever for Rockstar to release GTA 5 on the pc. Saint's Row gone ape shit insane to become different and I admire it for that but what I want now is a well made semi serious gangsta saga as the zany stuff kinda bored me with Saint Row fourth. I dunno... saint row IV felt like a big joke but without the build up phase, it was like a joke that wanted to be on the climax of the laugh all the time, too excessive and a bit too self referential for my tastes.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I played SR3 within a year of SR2 -- not sure why people are saying it was some giant departure/decline. The gameplay and missions are virtually identical. As far as the 'story/narrative,' who cares? It's a GTA clone. Do people really play these games for the story?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like how they've been gradually reducing the sexist elements but of course I would.

Edit: Watched trailer. Male President? Not my canon. :rpgcodex:

deuxhero

Arcane
They've always had a "promo" protagonist. 4 even has a mission where you kill them.

That said, while 4 was a pleasant surprise on the free weekend and I'll prob get it when it hits 10 bucks with everything, this doesn't look too promising.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
as if the leader of the saints was restricted by your narrow understanding of gender and sex. the president can be anything, because he lives in your heart.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I played SR3 within a year of SR2 -- not sure why people are saying it was some giant departure/decline.
pacing is shit, story is shit, hangout upgrades are shit compared to the different interiors in sr2, character introductions is shit (sr2 made you care for the characters without the need to play sr1, sr3 was a hackjob if it was your first), the division of enemies into special kinds just like in a superhero game or mmorpgs was fucking stupid, and they managed to, for the most part, all feel and look alike, which wasn't true for the gangs in sr2, the humor was of a different flavor, so if you liked sr2, chances are sr3 just made you facepalm, plus it had a friggin zombie invasion, whereas that shit was contained to a video game in the hangout in sr2 and secret buddy zombie carlos.
The gameplay and missions are virtually identical.
the gunplay and basics are better in sr3 and they killed a fuckton of side activities for no particular reason. normally i wouldn't care, but they managed to kill pretty much everything i liked doing.
As far as the 'story/narrative,' who cares? It's a GTA clone. Do people really play these games for the story?
yes. the story is one of the reason why vice city is regarded as one of the best gtas. you get to play a good to ok game, and watch a neat gangster comedy with a touch of drama. it's also one of the reasons why gta5 is better than 4.

Indranys

Savant
Daaamn I want another San Andreas clones dammit!
give me dramas, give me more comedies and stores and freedum!!
RIP SR2, the best game in the series. :salute:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No enemy is a sponge in a game where headshots are insta-kills.

Except the big guys of course.

bonescraper

At first i was mad that Violiton wastes their time on making DLC instead of a proper sequel. But looks like it's made by High Voltage?

Still, i'm not sure what to think about this DLC. Steelport again (only half of it now), no character customization (you're playing as Gat or Kinzie), co-op focus... bleh. I want SR5 on a new engine.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Still, i'm not sure what to think about this DLC. Steelport again (only half of it now), no character customization (you're playing as Gat or Kinzie), co-op focus... bleh. I want SR5.

From my limited understanding of game development, some teams within a studio aren't needed during the early stages of a new game.

There's a good chance that SR5 is in early stages of development, and they're keeping some of their teams occupied by working on this expansion.

This DLC does not make the wait for SR5 any longer.

Bahamut

Arcane
At first i was mad that Violiton wastes their time on making DLC instead of a proper sequel. But looks like it's made by High Voltage?

Still, i'm not sure what to think about this DLC. Steelport again (only half of it now), no character customization (you're playing as Gat or Kinzie), co-op focus... bleh. I want SR5 on a new engine.

Yeah, this should be just a simple "cheap" DLC for SR4 (because SR4 had like one story DLC?), and playing as Gat here is kind forced because The President would fit just fine

I guess Derp Silver is to blame because they milk their IP's as hard as they can these days, with Sacred 3 being most painful recent example,

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
SR3 was going to have a stand-alone expansion pack too.

Making this engine was probably a massive expense (though I suppose THQ ended up getting stuck with most of it), so they need to slam as many dunks as they can.

Martius

Liturgist
How is this game compared to third one? Third was ok for me but I got it from THQ bundle so it was hard to complain at this price. One of online shops in my country sells version with most if not all dlc for around 16-17 bucks, that sounds like good deal.
On the other hand, SR4 was supposed to be that stand alone expansion pack? I think I heard something about "Enter of Dominatrix".

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
SR4 is a completely over-the-top, open-world, Tron/Matrix/alien invasion-themed sci-fi gangsta superhero game, albeit quite good as superhero games go. You won't be driving your cars or even using the cool jet fighters, hoverbikes, and UFOs except to play around with them much past the beginning of the game. The Tron hovertanks will see a fair bit of use, though.

SR3 is a much more traditional gang simulator, though still incredibly wacky and cartoonish.

deuxhero

Arcane
There is SOME use for the hoverbikes because you don't actually have flight and can only achieve so much vertical height (99% of the time this is for finding missed data clusters on towers), but yes mostly useless.
SR3 was going to have a stand-alone expansion pack too.

Making this engine was probably a massive expense (though I suppose THQ ended up getting stuck with most of it), so they need to slam as many dunks as they can.

Which is bad because the engine SUCKS.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I use the UFOs for taking out flashpoints, especially the rooftop ones that are hard to get with a tank. Lets you do them very quickly, which is good because there's so many and they get old fast.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think I ragequit last time trying to get all the gold medals, which on some challenges is almost literally impossible. I got most of them, but there were a couple that I simply didn't have the patience to practice for three weeks to get.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just turn it down to easy, it's totally impossible to fail on that mode.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The customization is shit and the devs said the engine was why.
That seemed to me the result of console memory limitations and better graphics. Hypothetically a better engine would be able to handle it better, but it doesn't feel like a performance hog to me.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
SR4 was a really fun retrospective / love letter to the series and a pisstake on the OVERLY DRAMATIC storytelling in games. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom