Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row the Fourth

dryan

Arcane
I liked it.

Also, it was as much an RPG as Skyrim.

Machocruz

Arcane
I've been playing SR2 rigorously for the past few weeks, and what's cool abut it is everything you would normally do on your own in GTA is tied to some kind of reward or structure in SR2. So there is a point in fucking around in the world outside of missions, to an extent beyond other similar games. Everything worth doing in these kinds of games is covered by a mini-game, where success equals tangible in-game rewards. The problem I had with GTA4 is that there was no incentive to much of the free-roaming fucking around. Not even rival gangs to mess with like in GTA3. No Rampage missions. No drug running. Nothing to structure or reward your criminality. Oh, but you can play cop -wtf? Messing with pedestrians just for lulz only goes so far, and there is no context for it. I like context.

The above and then some. The game also offered activities that no one else did, and did some very cool things that Rockstar would go on to copy. How's that for being a "clone," huh?

The downside to the game is that the city itself is missing personality compared to the GTAs. I don't know why, maybe it's just personal perception. The personality is all in the story missions and OTT activities. Just tooling around the city is not as interesting as it is in GTA.

Then we get to SR3, which is fun, but feels like a dead, plastic piece of shit in comparison to 2. Streamlined for the worse, garish interface, loud colors, more boring city, cartoony weapons. Character models are technically better, I suppose, but look like rubber toys. SR2 looks more natural. Wardrobe options are possibly better overall in terms of making your character look fashionable/cool (no decent coats in SR2, but better sportswear. They tie on sexy wear), maybe hair options too, but also look less natural than SR2.

I have yet to play 4. Sounds like a mixed bag.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think I ragequit last time trying to get all the gold medals, which on some challenges is almost literally impossible. I got most of them, but there were a couple that I simply didn't have the patience to practice for three weeks to get.
which ones made you ragequit?
i almost ragequit because of the goddamn hard platforming rift, but then finally managed to beat it exactly the instant the timer switched to 0.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
which ones made you ragequit?

I know for sure one of them was TK Rift, probably the hardest one, though sometimes in SR games a lower-difficulty minigame will be harder to get gold on.

I'm going to guess the other one was one of the UFO Vehicular Mayhem activities.

What's stupid about the Platforming Rift is that it becomes slightly more difficult when your powers are really strong due to jumping a bit too enthusiastically/more easily overshooting your targets, or at least that's how I remember it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
though sometimes in SR games a lower-difficulty minigame will be harder to get gold on.
the speed rifts are like that since the harder ones are longer and the longer they are, the easier it becomes to make a ton of points in them once you know what you are doing.
What's stupid about the Platforming Rift is that it becomes slightly more difficult when your powers are really strong due to jumping a bit too enthusiastically/more easily overshooting your targets, or at least that's how I remember it.
from what i could tell it doesn't really become more difficult, it's just that you pick habits up when doing them with lower powers that hinder you when your powers are maxed, at least that's how it was with me and that goddamn platforming rift, like gliding when a simple jump is better.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Heh, Blackbeard was in the Escape from Hell RPG too:

28-16escape069.png

I wonder if they heard about that one, since the idea of meeting historical figures in a wacky version of Hell was there, too.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What a twist! New version broke the game.
https://www.pcgamer.com/volitions-s...be-a-make-good-but-it-broke-the-game-instead/
Remember this year's Saints Row? Volition would probably prefer that you didn't, which might go some way to explaining why the studio recently decided to upgrade everyone's copy of Saints Row 4 to its full-fat Re-elected Edition, containing all the game's story and cosmetic DLC and even introducing cross-play between Steam, Epic, and GOG versions of the game.

Unfortunately, that upgrade seems to have backfired, and players now report a myriad of bugs with their new version of SR4. Both the Saints Row Steam forum and subreddit are filled with players complaining of broken saves, crashes, and mods failing to function. It's also received a few hundred negative Steam reviews(opens in new tab) since the update. If it's succeeded in washing the taste of Saints Row (2022) out of players' mouths, it's only because it tastes even worse.

Deep Silver, SR4's publisher, says it's looking into the problem, and urges anyone experiencing bugs they haven't already seen reported to get in touch with via its website(opens in new tab). For now, a helpful Steam user has written up a guide to revert to a pre-upgrade version of the game, but be warned it's a bit of a labour-intensive process.
who could predict this?

Hey remember when they said they were going to honor their deceased employee's work and release a patch to fix SR2.
And then uh
fucking lied

Modron

Arcane
Thought they were going to go the mafia remake route and make the updated version a separate title not just take away the proper release. Oh well had zero interest in replaying SR4 but still a retarded thing to do.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
Hey remember when they said they were going to honor their deceased employee's work and release a patch to fix SR2.
And then uh
i don't actually, you have that as a written, signed document?

believing what comes out of their rotten lying mouths. lol, and lmao. :mad:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Deep Silver, SR4's publisher, says it's looking into the problem, and urges anyone experiencing bugs they haven't already seen reported to get in touch with via its website(opens in new tab). For now, a helpful Steam user has written up a guide to revert to a pre-upgrade version of the game, but be warned it's a bit of a labour-intensive process.
Laughs in GOG Backup installer

But yeah, this obsession the industry has with updating everything to be broken and shit is pretty bad.
Saints Row 2 is still broken on modern systems, at least on Steam, but seeing how they fuck up everything they touch it's probably better they don't try to fix it, lest it gives the OS aids or something.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Technically, it should still be possible to play the old, pre-upgrade version of Saints Row IV via a beta branch "Legacy Version" on both Steam and GOG. Unfortunately Deep Silver's post also says that one of the issue's they're investigating is the "Legacy Branch pulling the wrong build on Steam".

:deathclaw:

They tried to be considerate, but I'm impressed they even messed up putting up a legacy branch.

deuxhero

Arcane
I was actually thinking of replaying it once the update hit for Linux. So much for that. Also makes me doubt the release of SR2 fix even more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom