Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Samorost 3

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
I began playing some days ago despite my strained schedule. I too think that they have upped the difficulty a bit. Then again, we were used with smaller screens in 1 and 2 so it's kinda easier to get lost in such detail. Great art as usual.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The announcement for their next game reminded me I needed to play this one.
Very nice game once again, I like this team. It's been a while I've played Botanicula but I think the puzzles are better in Samorost 3, looking for the side goals is fun too. These small worlds full of life are really charming.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The announcement for their next game reminded me I needed to play this one.
Very nice game once again, I like this team. It's been a while I've played Botanicula but I think the puzzles are better in Samorost 3, looking for the side goals is fun too. These small worlds full of life are really charming.

I bought this in the Steam summer sale and finally started playing it and wow it's great.. The art/music and fun interactions are typical Amanita Design, and I've only gone to the second planet (the furry one?) and already I think it is probably their best game by far.. I loved Samorost 1 and 2 but couldn't get into Botanicula (may have to give it a shot after this)

what is their next game??

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I loved Samorost 1 and 2 but couldn't get into Botanicula (may have to give it a shot after this)

what is their next game??
Have you played Machinarium though? IIRC they recently released an updated version with higher res graphics.

Yes I've played that, it was good... I'd put it behind Samorost 3 though, I dig the bizarre artstyle more.

Explorerbc

Arcane
I just finished this game courtesy of sser :salute:and visited this thread only to see that old review of John Walker

John Walker said:
But as I said at the start, this is a difficult game, too. Surprisingly so, [...] I was dumfounded as to what the game wanted me to do.

One particular puzzle stands out as utterly bemusing to me, where once you’ve gathered a few types of fruit, you’re supposed to guess which location is the place to drop them into a bunch of holes, and then start off on a genetic journey of cross pollinating the flowers they grow to see what new fruits are created, and then further cross-breeding these to try to reach a particular – er – root vegetable. It is by necessity experimental – there’s no way to know what will resultand as a consequence you end up having to retrace your steps to gather the original fruits again and again.

I wonder if the difficulty will see it be a less celebrated game than the last two,

Just to understand how retarded the reviewer is: In this puzzle you have 3 different fruit. The game literally shows you a picture of each fruit in sequence with the letters A B C respectively above them. What you have to do is combine fruit A with fruit B and then their result with fruit C. That's it. As long as you know the order of the first 3 letters of the alphabet you are good :lol:. The holes on the ground don't even matter. Some pre-school kids could probably solve this but John Walker had to read the walkthrough and still didn't understand the solution.

Anyway, great game, I would say the puzzles are on the easy-casual side but they are interesting and blend-in with the environment really well. And of course the art and atmosphere are gorgeous as always by amanita.

Ivan

Arcane
What a marvel for the eyes this was. Beautiful handcrafted adventure featuring neat interactivity and great music to boot. Puzzles were range from easy-medium. It was less, how does X fit with Y and more about experimenting with the environment and observation.

To echo the above, it's neat how the devs leave the hints up to interpretation too. I solved it but that wasn't my train of thought, I thought that it was that the bee had to pollinate fruits A>B>then C.

Anyway, there seem to be a lot of cool secrets, did anyone ever figure out the purpose of the rope on the top left. It emitted some smoke but I'm wondering if there's an even more secret interaction or combination I'm missing.
00E37B537359C39AA225729D23953503A8258112

Beowulf

Arcane
Didn't you use that rope to open the "hatches" in that fungi tree to get to the top.
Other than that - it may be used to gain some cheevos, I don't remember it that well.

Lagi

Savant
samorost and machinarium are the best of adventure type games i ever play. And also one of the few that I completed. Usually in those games I get tired of the "what devs want me to do here". Ambient is unsurpassed. I very fondly remember wall-fan riddle :lol:.

Beowulf

Arcane
is chichu any good

I found Chuchel somewhat lacklustre. It's just a string of short sketches, where the control is often taken from you while the animation plays on the screen. The humour was also too slapstick for my tastes.
The audiovisual side is, as always with Amanita games, top notch.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
The more I think about Samorost the more I liken it to a pop-up book you'd read as a child. Sometimes what you can and can't interact with is obfuscated by the incredible art, but I absolutely love how intuitive it all is. It uses almost child-like logic to "solve" its puzzles. Often in Samorost 3 I overthought things and was amazed at how simple and beautiful it really is. Truly a special game dev <3

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
is chichu any good

I found Chuchel somewhat lacklustre. It's just a string of short Sketches, where the control is often taken from you while the animation plays on the screen. The humour was also too slapstick for my tastes.

thanks will buy during steam sale if discount is nice

Beowulf

Arcane
is chichu any good

I found Chuchel somewhat lacklustre. It's just a string of short Sketches, where the control is often taken from you while the animation plays on the screen. The humour was also too slapstick for my tastes.

thanks will buy during steam sale if discount is nice

That's what I would advise.
It hardly resembles their previous game, speaking about gameplay.

Neuromancer

Augur
:necro:

Here is nice making of for Samorost 3:
(you can activate English subtitles)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom