Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Satellite Reign - Syndicate Wars spiritual successor from original devs

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I've heard this before, and it all went downhill shortly after.
Indie devs+kickstarter=features cut due to "budgetary limitations".
How the fuck did they blow roughly 600k dollars in a year and a half ?
Literally blowing through it

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
we ran into technical and budgetary limitations

I've heard this before, and it all went downhill shortly after.
Indie devs+kickstarter=features cut due to "budgetary limitations".
How the fuck did they blow roughly 600k dollars in a year and a half ?
Sounds like what it would cost to pay 10 people for that long after taxes and everything.

almondblight

Arcane
Sounds like what it would cost to pay 10 people for that long after taxes and everything.

In the U.S., that'd probably only cover 5 people for a year and a half, and that's being cheap (working out of your garage, finding people who'll take a pay cut to work with you, etc.).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In the U.S., that'd probably only cover 5 people for a year and a half, and that's being cheap (working out of your garage, finding people who'll take a pay cut to work with you, etc.).
If by "U.S." you mean living in a major city.

almondblight

Arcane
If by "U.S." you mean living in a major city.

Yeah, outside of a major city you're going to have a hell of a time finding employees with the skills you need (or you'll be coughing up an arm and a leg to convince someone to move). Tech companies don't clump together just because it's cool.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I think it was mentioned in the Kickstarter that they were getting funding. Or at least some sort of lower taxes from the Australian government.

I think that was where they got the starting capital before heading to kickstarter.

Destroid

Arcane
I think they live in Australia?

Yeah they live in Brisbane, living costs and wages are high. A professional programmer will probably be costing you 80k+ AUD per year at a minimum after you include payroll tax and superannuation. The Australian dollar has fallen now, but that won't help them if they converted all the currency back when they did the kickstarter.

Branm

Learned
Eh I dunno if id consider these guys true indies....Mike has a ton of experience and is supposedly a AI wiz, I've only heard good things about him from some people I know that used to work at THQ.

I also wouldnt read into that message as a flat out "we are out of money"

Marobug

Well, they are indies as long as they are independent. Indies are not necessarily absolute amateurs, I think in this case they apply as indies.
But yeah I did some quick math and come to think of it 600k (not counting KS fee, taxes and other expenses) probably is barely enough for a year. I respectfully take back my retarded statement.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, that sort of money seems big when you think about it as an individual employee, but companies blow money like nothing. Here the employee costs extra 50-70% on top of the salary... and that is not including any of the costs associated with running the business itself.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Are you insane? The cheese budget for Cleve alone would burn through their money in a matter of weeks!

I don't have much hopw for anytihng good leaving early access limbo now. I'm a bit sad, but also relieved I went with my gut and didn't back this.

Torrasque01

Augur
Are you insane? The cheese budget for Cleve alone would burn through their money in a matter of weeks!

I don't have much hopw for anytihng good leaving early access limbo now. I'm a bit sad, but also relieved I went with my gut and didn't back this.

Maia too won't even make it to 0.5 by the projected release date. Vaporware is vaporware.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cyberpunk games are lost, like tears in the rain.
Funny and sad at the same time

WpMRbEL.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Cyberpunk games are lost, like tears in the rain.
FFS man. At least put some effort into making it look like the original.

All those Cyberpunk games will be lost, in time. Like [cough] turds... in early access. Time... to rage. [dies] [pigeon]

spectre

Arcane
New update is up after migration to newest version of Unity. There's a new district, some balancing, changes to the clone screen, etc. etc.
Looks like the next update will actually be a beta with most of the content down.
Didn't have time to test it yet.

We've finally reached our internal alpha milestone. This means all of the game's features are implemented and functional. Additionally, we've unlocked the next district for you to explore! It's time to head into The Grid, home of The Eternals faction.

With this update, we've also transitioned to the latest version of Unity - Unity 5. We weren't originally intending to move over to Unity 5, especially not so late into development, but Unity 5 had features which ended up being essential for being able to handle the scale of Satellite Reign's city.

Please note that this is a Windows-only release. Sit tight, a couple of small Mac/Linux issues need to be ironed out, and then they will be updated shortly.

There are countless changes in this build, but some of the more substantial changes are listed below:

The Grid District
The Grid is the home of The Eternals, an organisation fixated on moving humanity forward through body augmentation, replacing their mortal flesh with machines.

The Grid is clean, wealthy and futuristic, setting itself apart from the rest of the city.

UI Improvements
Lots of improvements have made their way into the UI system.
  • Agents now have unique portraits.
  • New Agent clone screen.
  • Front-end menus.
  • Mission debriefs.

Unity 5
We now have access to the latest and greatest Unity has to offer. This brings the latest version of PhysX for improved physics performance, much improved profiling tools (to help Mike more efficiently squash bugs and performance hogs), improved CPU usage, and much more.

Lots of these new features won't be immediately visible, but they will help us deliver a higher quality final version of Satellite Reign.

New Abilities and Items
We've added new abilities and items, as well as improved those which were already existing.

You can now outfit your agents with drones, smoke grenades, sound-dampening grenades, shield boosters, and more.

There are also new tactical opportunities with stealth-kills. Get up close behind unsuspecting enemies, and get a headshot for an instant kill. Please note that while this feature is working, it will be undergoing some design iterations soon to improve usability.

Balancing Changes
This version includes balancing changes to almost all aspects of the game, including money, experience, health, armour, and more. There's still much more balancing to go, but it is closer to what you can expect to see in the final release.

NOTE: Due to both the above balancing changes and updates to missions, your old save files will no longer load. We try to avoid issues like these wherever possible, but with the amount of changes, loading your old saves would cause progression bugs and other unforeseen issues.

Known Issues
While we've made lots of improvements throughout the game, there are still plenty of issues to be found, and will be addressed in future updates. Some of them are listed below:

• Long load at startup.
  • Cars throwing agents up in the air.
  • Environment streaming is slow if you move the camera quickly.
  • Out of Memory crash due to physics after extended play.
  • Game can take a long time to exit.
  • Framerate is still heavily affected by lots of on-screen characters.
  • Cars still aren't behaving correctly.

What's Next?
We're getting very close to our full release now. As mentioned above, we've reached our alpha milestone internally, and our beta milestone is very close behind. Our next planned update will include the game in its entirety, allowing you to play completely from start to finish, with all districts, missions, abilities, weapons, gear, augmentations, and the final boss encounter.

At that point, we'll be going into HARDCORE BUG-FIXING MODE TURBO EXTREME. We expect this to occur in about a month.

Have fun!

spectre

Arcane
They are in beta now.

We're pleased to announce that Satellite Reign has now reached its content-complete milestone, meaning the entirety of the game is now available to play, from start to finish. From here, our focus is entirely on fixing bugs and improving performance.

So, what's been added to this release?

Dracogenics Tower Unlocked
The Gates have been opened to the final section of the city—Dracogenics Tower. At the northern end of the CBD, Dracogenics Tower is the corporation's world headquarters, and the office of the CEO, Steven Dengler. If you ever want to take control of Dracogenics' Monopoly on their sought-after Res-Tech network, you'll have to climb the tower and say 'hi' in person—but don't expect a warm welcome. This encounter will be the most challenging portion of the entire game, so don't go up unprepared!

Tag Gets a Voice
Until now, Tag has just been some text on a screen, but now she'll deliver key mission information over voice-comms. In addition to the intro and outro sequences, Tag delivers updates on the ultimate mission objective has you progress through the city.

Opening Sequence
Rather than just dumping you into the world oblivious, we now have a suitably cyberpunk introduction sequence upon starting a new game. However, if you're anything like our lead coder Mike, and you hate story, feel free to hit the skip button.

Leaving Early Access
Entering beta is a huge milestone, but not has big as getting the game ready for the masses, and leaving Early Access. We're announcing today that we will be entering full release on the 28th of August 2015. We'll have a full launch trailer ready to go out before then, but in the meantime, here's a little teaser trailer we've put together.

Destroid

Arcane
6 weeks is a rather brisk beta phase. Although I suppose with early access a lot of bugs will have come to their attention sooner than usual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom