Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Savage Resurrection

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm surprised that they haven't gone under yet and that they are finally going to work on a non-moba game again, although Savage have always been 3rd person mobas, basically.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I see many private persons selling keys for cheap on sites like G2A, Kinguin etc. I assume at least some of them are beta keys and it's not clear at all what people buy into. I see a shitstorm coming once the game leaves Early Access and suddenly people can't play the game they thought they bought for cheap and blame the Developers.

talan

Augur
Loved S1, Disliked S2. S2 got rid of the great asymmetric melee system (Humans: Block, Beasts: Leap) in favour of both sides having the same Attack/Stun/Block set. It would be like Blizzard making Terran/Zerg/Protoss core units identical.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Loved S1, Disliked S2. S2 got rid of the great asymmetric melee system (Humans: Block, Beasts: Leap) in favour of both sides having the same Attack/Stun/Block set. It would be like Blizzard making Terran/Zerg/Protoss core units identical.
S:R is like S1 in that regard. Though I also liked the triangle system from S2. The Units were far from identical in S2.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Game has been released on Steam now. Early Access phase was kinda short with only 3 months, it came a long way in that time but IMHO there's still a lot to be done.
Also there is no map editor as of yet, something that made the old game stand out was the abundance of cool custom maps made by users. Still, I think it's worth getting in it's current state if you had fun playing Savage 1.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
RIP. Game peaks out now at 300~ players. I checked the Steam stats and it's not even showing how many people are online. I turned the game on and saw that there's less than 70 people playing right now. I know it's not exactly peak hour, but a week ago I was playing this game every day at this time without having to worry about finding other players. Even the rate of patches has slowed down and the last patch we got was pretty insignificant. People using wall hacks and aimbots are slowly creeping out and there's no word from S2 that they're doing something to stop these people.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What community? The sub-50 people who were fractured across 3-4 different servers?

Edit: This used to be the time when you could already login and there'd be, like, at least two full european servers. Now it looks like this:

JS4Ld3L.jpg

Last edited:

talan

Augur
What community? The sub-50 people who were fractured across 3-4 different servers?
My remarks are tongue-in-cheek in reference about the guy commenting on your review. And now there's more -- so great job :P.

I agree with your review completely and it's even worse for AU players. Yesterday I had a 5v5 match (4 bots included) and most of the time there's no one playing. I miss the good times of S1 and playing 32v32 matches.

I guess we'll see if there's a resurrection when it goes F2P.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Going F2P requires quite a bit effort and not simply just making it free. There's just something about SavRes that doesn't make people stick with it and they need to work hard on improving that aspect. I'm no expert so I have no idea why it is so. I like the game and think the good parts of it outweigh the balance issues. The thing is that S2 has a history of dropping their games as soon as it's not profitable anymore. I'm afraid that they'll do the same with SavRes. If they make the SavRes F2P in its current incarnation then it'll just a dead free game.

I feel like I got my money's worth after 25 hours of playing this game, but I'd be super fucking happy if I could still play it. I'm not big on mainstream comp online FPS games and Savage is one of the few gams that tickle my fancy because it's a bit different than just being a straight up shooter.

Last edited:

talan

Augur
Going F2P requires quite a bit effort and not simply just making it free.... If they make the SavRes F2P in its current incarnation then it'll just a dead free game.
It's unfortunate and true. The gaming world has changed since S1 was made free back in 2006. You can get quality games cheap in Steam Sales. You can get quality F2P games.

I feel like I got my money's worth after 25 hours of playing this game, but I'd be super fucking happy if I could still play it. I'm not big on mainstream comp online FPS games and Savage is one of the few gams that tickle my fancy because it's a bit different than just being a straight up shooter.
Yeah I can relate -- I enjoyed S1 for that reason, as well as the Tribes games.

A question -- What makes SavRez better than S1:XR?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Going F2P requires quite a bit effort and not simply just making it free.... If they make the SavRes F2P in its current incarnation then it'll just a dead free game.
It's unfortunate and true. The gaming world has changed since S1 was made free back in 2006. You can get quality games cheap in Steam Sales. You can get quality F2P games.

Yeah I can relate -- I enjoyed S1 for that reason, as well as the Tribes games.

A question -- What makes SavRez better than S1:XR?

I loved Tribes. Starsiege Tribes was the first online shooter I really got into, back in the day. I've not played S1:XR so I dunno what makes SavRez better than that. Probably nothing from what I've heard. My main complaints about game balance seem to have have been fixed in S1:XR. I guess SavRez might be a bit redundant compared to that, for the veterans, since it does nothing now and everything it does, it doesn't do particularly well compared to that game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom