Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Save games...

SymbolicFrank

Magister
They are very important to me, as a player. But most game devs see them as something they should obfuscate and hide. And make sure the user cannot tamper with them!

I like to save a lot, and to archive some of them, move them to other computers, and delete all the others. And while that was easy in the past, more and more games only allow you to do it in-game. So, if you want to delete a hundred save games, you have to:

1. click on it
2. click on delete
3. click "yes"
4. scroll the list to the next one

Times a hundred.

Because, if you are able to find the location where they are stored and simply delete them yourself, or restore some archived ones, the game will refuse to load them. You have to delete your profile and start all over again to "fix" that...

And the ones that sync to steam make an even bigger mess of it.

Sometimes, I can fix it by deleting or editing one or more index files...

I want to manage them myself! In an easy way! Is that so hard to get?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
For a couple of reasons I cannot play some of the E/A steam autopatched games because they expect me to start over every 4-6 weeks. In older games I liked to backup my savegames and continue later, often years later, and keep intricate notebooks, but now a lot of game want me to do the same shit over and over. For example I couldn't play Subnautica during the last 6 weeks, because every time I had gotten past the cannot-build-shit stage a new patch came out and changed the game world.

But to be honest there has not been a single game where I couldn't find the savegame and backup it. The only case where I quit a game completely over savegames was the first Shadowrun Returns, because opening the save in a text editor I realized that it wasn't actually a game, only an intricate hidden object puzzle.

DraQ

Arcane
They are very important to me, as a player. But most game devs see them as something they should obfuscate and hide. And make sure the user cannot tamper with them!

I like to save a lot, and to archive some of them, move them to other computers, and delete all the others. And while that was easy in the past, more and more games only allow you to do it in-game. So, if you want to delete a hundred save games, you have to:

1. click on it
2. click on delete
3. click "yes"
4. scroll the list to the next one

Times a hundred.

Because, if you are able to find the location where they are stored and simply delete them yourself, or restore some archived ones, the game will refuse to load them. You have to delete your profile and start all over again to "fix" that...

And the ones that sync to steam make an even bigger mess of it.

Sometimes, I can fix it by deleting or editing one or more index files...

I want to manage them myself! In an easy way! Is that so hard to get?
Don't play shitty games.
:M

DraQ

Arcane
Last time I checked old, usually DOS era games were far more problematic when it came to save management, because they often had things like fixed save slots, each with its own file that had to be present for game to work, so there could be no way to delete a save or have more of them, all save slots sitting in a single file, or having multiple, sometimes not neatly packaged save files per save.

Later on the devs generally caught up on the concept of saves being something easy for players to manipulate and move around using OS, not just in-game tools.

DraQ

Arcane
Don't play shitty recent games.
Fixed.
I don't think I've ever encountered this problem you're describing myself - care to list some titles?

witcher 1.
i backed up my saves because reasons. years later i wanted to pick up where i left but the game refused to load my saves.
Interdasting. Could it be because of wildly different versions between those saves? IIRC EE broke compatibility.

it shouldn't be, i tried to make sure to download the same enhanced edition. but it could be.
anyway, there's plenty of other examples. can't give you names because i spent my last year with only warframe and civ4 but it happens more often than you'd think.

Beastro

Arcane
Don't play shitty recent games.
Fixed.
I don't think I've ever encountered this problem you're describing myself - care to list some titles?
Anything Paradox, for starters?

They've always been in the Paradox folder in My Documents, modded saves in their own subfolder.

I haven't played it, but one game that really fucks with saves is Undertale. Heard it makes a saved games folder in a random location on your comp because the dev didn't like people cheating and save game editing.

DraQ

Arcane
it shouldn't be, i tried to make sure to download the same enhanced edition. but it could be.
anyway, there's plenty of other examples. can't give you names because i spent my last year with only warframe and civ4 but it happens more often than you'd think.
I know that TW1 save directory absolutely required manual maintenance because it rapidly accumulated gigabytes of non-rolling autosaves, so it would be weird if the game couldn't handle that.

Heard it makes a saved games folder in a random location on your comp because the dev didn't like people cheating and save game editing.
:abyssgazer:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom