Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Save PC game state?

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played the newest Bard's Tale yesterday. Saving system is total shit, like in most new games. Where is the application that allows me to save the state of one application on PC and restart where I left off? Offline use would be enough, no need to re-create internet connections every time. We have this for many emulators already.

Trojan_generic

Magister
I kind of guessed that Linux might have something like that, I'm usually in Windows 7 environment though.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Every savegame would be like 4gb on your hard drive, do you really want this? Think of the loading times.

Trojan_generic

Magister
I have a total of 3 TB's of SSDs. So no probs.

Just to explain the reasoning a bit: It's difficult to play a game where I don't know when I can save next. This is because I might have only an hour to play at a time and I'm not going to leave a 3D game running for long periods when I'm not there.

deama

Prophet

Just to explain the reasoning a bit: It's difficult to play a game where I don't know when I can save next. This is because I might have only an hour to play at a time and I'm not going to leave a 3D game running for long periods when I'm not there.
Especially a badly optimised one like BT4...

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you describe what's wrong with the save system? Sorry I'm not able to offer a solution, but I'm curious as I was thinking of buying BT when I finish DOS2

Last edited:
You can only save at save points and sometimes these are far apart. Sometimes the game throws a curve ball and after a long section of solving puzzles (there are a lot of them) you might get into a tough fight before being able to save again or double back to your last save point.

I personally like the added tension but I understand a lot of people don't and it's not very convenient when you can only play for a few minutes. Also there are some bugs with the game right now and some people are reporting crashing - it's obviously no fun when you lose progress because of a crash and there's nothing you can do.

Limited saving might work better and cause less chagrin as a higher difficulty toggle, but in truth I think for a limited save system to really shine, the entire game has to be designed from the ground up around it.

deama

Prophet
You can only save at save points and sometimes these are far apart. Sometimes the game throws a curve ball and after a long section of solving puzzles (there are a lot of them) you might get into a tough fight before being able to save again or double back to your last save point.

I personally like the added tension but I understand a lot of people don't and it's not very convenient when you can only play for a few minutes.

Limited saving might work better and cause less chagrin as a higher difficulty toggle, but in truth I think for a limited save system to really shine, the entire game has to be designed from the ground up around it.
I also heard the game isn't the best when it comes to optimisation or bugs; some people have spent a while solving puzzles and battling enemies only to be slapped with a "the process has crashed, would you like to report this?"

Trojan_generic

Magister

I personally like the added tension but I understand a lot of people don't and it's not very convenient when you can only play for a few minutes. Also there are some bugs with the game right now and some people are reporting crashing - it's obviously no fun when you lose progress because of a crash and there's nothing you can do.

For BT4, I would be OK with a system where you could not save in combat, but outside it at any time. Like said, on the first (and probably the only) time through you don't know at all how far the next save point is.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

The game will also save on exit, and you can resume from the same spot afterwards, so it kind of has the save-state functionality built-in.
The problem is when it crashes, and your last save point was 40 minutes earlier. This is why I am waiting for patches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom