Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sawyer wants rpg to evolve

Mustawd

Fuck you Prime Junta . This is ur fault. Ur preview sucked at describing DE's "combat".

Good thing Kyl Von Kull can articulate it better.

EDIT: I still love you Prime. <3

2house2fly

Magister
Sounds retarded as hell. Also, are we saying Madden can RPG? That just sounds so weird. Who is talking about this new theory?
I don't see why Madden couldn't. You could create a team with stats which influence how they play, have the matches be "combat" and have a story between matches that is affected by your team's win/lose record, your player stats, that kind of thing.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is literally me right now:

giphy.gif
It's okay. Just give me a couple of brofists and your shame will be ignored.

deama

Prophet
Idk about you guys, but the combat in DE sounds/looks pretty neat.
Sometimes I get a weird zanny, disjointed effect in combat in RPGs wherein I focus too much on numbers, maybe this system will help with that?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
With RPGs such as Copper Dreams, Archmage Rises, Realms Beyond, Stygian, The New World, Whatever Styg Inclines Next, Odd Gods and Gods only know what might one day pop out of nowhere like Realms Beyond did, my inner accountant and PnP player are more than pleased.

The issue for me and many others (not EVERYone but you should learn by the time you're 10 that you can't please everyone and thus shouldn't even try) with the stats aren't stats themselves but how they're represented and utilized. UI, smooth learning curve, effective, fun and barely noticable tutorial and clarity of mechanical systems - all these things matter. Constatly work on improving these segments of your RPG signiture and you'll get with right budget (not peanuts) and marketing (not interview on Rpg Watch) a game - RPG- with stats- a game that's RPG and has dreaded stats that will be played by millions. And no, it doesn't have to have multiplayer. And no, put down your hand Fargo, it doesn't have to be VR.

All devs learn this lesson ( Obsidian with Fallout New Vegas and POE - arguably), CD Projekt with Witcher, Larian with Divinity Original Sin but very soon afterwards suits seduce them (the owners of course usually) with the sweet talk about everyone playing your games even your aunt, millions it's gonna bring, new yacht, early access to retirement in your 40s, trucks full of hot women playing with your game and with some other stuff of yours etc... Then Decline happens (slowly, over time, like in divorces things get worse and worse, more popamoly and more popamoly) and soon you won't even be calling your game RPG on your Steam page and user tag RPG will be on 29th place behind 'memes'.

The transformation of RPG dev from Iron Tower hardcore, niche, problematic dev to Obsidian like mainly RPG, mainly balanced studio to Bethesda Game Studio Bethesda Zenimax L.L.C. Super Bowl plays our commercials happens over course of several years and several games.

And that's fine. Old needs to die so that new and fresh can emerge from it's carcass. Don't lose hope though cause Tide of Incline will reach the shores of Codexia island. Ships carrying incline in their cargo will unload it in Codexia's harbor - General RPG Discussion, it's just that Sawyer, Fargo, Toe Hoeward etc. won't captain those ships.

New generation of RPG captains are sailing the treacherous sea of Decline bringing us incline of finest quality. I for one greet them!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The issue for me and many others (not EVERYone but you should learn by the time you're 10 that you can't please everyone and thus shouldn't even try) with the stats aren't stats themselves but how they're represented and utilized. UI, smooth learning curve, effective, fun and barely noticable tutorial and clarity of mechanical systems - all these things matter. Constatly work on improving these segments of your RPG signiture and you'll get with right budget (not peanuts) and marketing (not interview on Rpg Watch) a game - RPG- with stats- a game that's RPG and has dreaded stats that will be played by millions.

Fully agree. RPGs have two main objectives to evolve towards:

- Being much better.
- Being much easier to understand while sacrficing none of their complexity.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Or all of the above from my previous essay comment in one sentence (abridged version) :

RPG stats matter and Sawyer & Friends of Decline's opinions don't.

Why? Cause I say so and have higher persuasion stat then them which helps me penetrate their argument's BS armor.

With RPGs such as Copper Dreams, Archmage Rises, Realms Beyond, Stygian, The New World, Whatever Styg Inclines Next, Odd Gods and Gods only know what might one day pop out of nowhere like Realms Beyond did, my inner accountant and PnP player are more than pleased.
:salute:

The issue for me and many others (not EVERYone but you should learn by the time you're 10 that you can't please everyone and thus shouldn't even try) with the stats aren't stats themselves but how they're represented and utilized. UI, smooth learning curve, effective, fun and barely noticable tutorial and clarity of mechanical systems - all these things matter. Constatly work on improving these segments of your RPG signiture and you'll get with right budget (not peanuts) and marketing (not interview on Rpg Watch) a game - RPG- with stats- a game that's RPG and has dreaded stats that will be played by millions. And no, it doesn't have to have multiplayer. And no, put down your hand Fargo, it doesn't have to be VR.
But hardcore cRPGs don't sell less because they are opaque. They sell less because most players don't want these things to affect their gameplay. The games that sell more tend to have more forgiving mechanics and loose gameplay.

All devs learn this lesson ( Obsidian with Fallout New Vegas)
Why I hate "Fallout: New Vegas

I'm finally admitting that Fallout New Vegas sucks and 3 is better

I feel like complaining... List of things I hate in Fallout: New Vegas

Why I hate Fallout: New Vegas (A giant rant)

Why I believe Fallout 3 is better than Fallout: New Vegas

I am playing Fallout 3 because New Vegas sucks. How about you?

And that's fine. Old needs to die so that new and fresh can emerge from it's carcass. Don't lose hope though cause Tide of Incline will reach the shores of Codexia island. Ships carrying incline in their cargo will unload it in Codexia's harbor - General RPG Discussion, it's just that Sawyer, Fargo, Toe Hoeward etc. won't captain those ships.

male_human_f_jes_lg.png

New generation of RPG captains are sailing the treacherous sea of Decline bringing us incline of finest quality. I for one greet them!

d66d017804845e5fff500e85e2e0ea7f.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
“So many games use RPG elements, stat progression and characteristics that are defined by those in RPGs. I start to question about whether that is the heart and soul of what a role-playing game is about,” he said.

WHAT is wrong in that people want things like stat characteristics, progression, and good combat, from a

GAME?

what? what??

by making a traditional game I am complementing to a problem
two-flagellants-flogging-themselves-during-plague-epidemic-in-europe-picture-id92818978

well go around your studio whipping yourself for making traditional rpgs then

all while the genre is actually, well, clinically deceased and is only supported by zombifying powers of independent studios made of people who actually like rpgs.

angry traditionalist grogs hate my new ideas
maybe because your might run muskets shooting anime suck and go against rpg idea of believable simulation of reality you discounted bag of soybeans for a head-designer.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
two-flagellants-flogging-themselves-during-plague-epidemic-in-europe-picture-id92818978

well go around your studio whipping yourself for making traditional rpgs then

all while the genre is actually, well, clinically deceased and is only supported by zombifying powers of independent studios made of people who actually like rpgs.

angry traditionalist grogs hate my new ideas
maybe because your might run muskets shooting anime suck and go against rpg idea of believable simulation of reality you discounted bag of soybeans for a head-designer.
LOL

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Can you blow a hole in the wall if the door is locked in this innovative Rpg?

You play as a police detective, so I imagine your superiors would not be pleased about the property damage and presumably an officer of the law has better ways to knock down a door. good question, though.

summoning Kasparov and Marat Sar... avengers, assemble!
They should give special concessions if you constantly have an average of 80% or more in work performance, so you can roleplay as the hardass cop who gets results, but often causes massive amounts of collateral damage. Then the police chief can constantly be exasperated with you, threaten to kick you out if you don't wise up, but never actually fire you, other than take your badge and gun, and put you in forced freeroam and off the beat every few missions because you've become too much of a loose cannon.

Master

Arbiter
Game doesn't have combat. That's why they call it "set-piece" combat, its better than saying, yeah we don't have combat. Or any kind of environment destruction. :decline:

Cael

Arcane
Can you blow a hole in the wall if the door is locked in this innovative Rpg?

You play as a police detective, so I imagine your superiors would not be pleased about the property damage and presumably an officer of the law has better ways to knock down a door. good question, though.

summoning Kasparov and Marat Sar... avengers, assemble!
They should give special concessions if you constantly have an average of 80% or more in work performance, so you can roleplay as the hardass cop who gets results, but often causes massive amounts of collateral damage. Then the police chief can constantly be exasperated with you, threaten to kick you out if you don't wise up, but never actually fire you, other than take your badge and gun, and put you in forced freeroam and off the beat every few missions because you've become too much of a loose cannon.
I am so naming my toon Martin Riggs if that is the case :D

Or Sledge Hammer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
night at the museum - the rpg.

unique setting in which retarded setting crossing is realistic and works. It could be a bit of room defense in which you will have C&C like: would you rather have ancient mummies from egypt themed room gain access to muskets, or defend that room and let them go north to perform necromancy on dinosaurs?

I now want this game because setting-crossing is awesome.

Gibmedat Wizardry 8 style of "spacefaring races land on fantasy planet, swords and magic meet rocket launchers and spaceships" kind of shit, it's been way too long since we've seen something like this and I crave it so hard.

Cael

Arcane
Gibmedat Wizardry 8 style of "spacefaring races land on fantasy planet, swords and magic meet rocket launchers and spaceships" kind of shit, it's been way too long since we've seen something like this and I crave it so hard.
Psst!
220px-Ultima_1_box.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom