Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Say one GOOD thing about a SHIT game

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Oblivion is bad, but given enough time and will, one can fix its most glaring issues. [apart from it not being an rpg]

Is there a fix for the fact it feels like an endless unpaid job?

Whenever I saw one of those Oblivion Gates and thought I had to go through the same crap again... truly dreadful, worse than contemplating the actual gaping gates of hell.

PorkBarrellGuy

Oblivion is bad, but given enough time and will, one can fix its most glaring issues. [apart from it not being an rpg]

Is there a fix for the fact it feels like an endless unpaid job?

Whenever I saw one of those Oblivion Gates and thought I had to go through the same crap again... truly dreadful, worse than contemplating the actual gaping gates of hell.

Everything about the Oblivion gates was dumb. They would pop up close enough to roads and towns to get nonessentials killed, they marred the fuck out of the otherwise reasonably pretty landscape, they were all essentially the same fucking dungeon crawl over and over again with minor variation, the sigil stones were either fucking useless or brokenly good depending on how they were rolled, and there were WAY too damn many of the things.

Ninjerk

Arcane
ITT we point to things BAD games actually did RIGHT. No, we're not saying such games suddenly became "good", when push comes to shove they are still "bad". But we give credit where credit is due. I'll start:

- The Shivering Isles of Oblivion looked REALLY good and the whole "bipolar dimension" thing was interesting and fun.
- PoE has beautiful 2d backgrounds.
- Dragon Age Origins had a decent and fun spell combo system. I think DOS took some inspiration from DAO, maybe?

Inb4 "X game had a nice 'uninstall' button". Yeah, don't be predictable.
It's been ages since I've played it, but I remember seeing the mage/wizard (whatever they called them) spell combos and thinking that they looked like they ripped them almost whole-cloth from WoW (which itself seemed to take much inspiration from Diablo 2 and obviously Everquest). Where do you draw the line on something like that?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Risen 2 had some funny dialogue and I like the pirate theme. The game all around was super shit but I really liked it for some reason.
Risen 3 is much of the same.
Bound by Flame had a interesting story where the middle point was extremely depressing, the game wasn't shit entirely but the ending boss fight was awful, the enemies respawned and combat was a endless shit grind since enemy HP pools were insane.

deama

Prophet
shadow of mordor had a nice nemesis system.

Legacy of kain games had a nice story/narrative.

Geckabor

Savant
In Oblivion you could listen to NPCs talk with each other and they would talk about local problems and quests sometimes, so simply listening to them would get you quests. I think it's kind of a nice "organic" way of finding out about stuff.

PorkBarrellGuy

In Oblivion you could listen to NPCs talk with each other and they would talk about local problems and quests sometimes, so simply listening to them would get you quests. I think it's kind of a nice "organic" way of finding out about stuff.

In between all the talk about mudcrabs and goblins. It was actually a neat idea, but of course Bethesda couldn't be counted on to implement it particularly well.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
In between all the talk about mudcrabs and goblins. It was actually a neat idea, but of course Bethesda couldn't be counted on to implement it particularly well.
It honestly didn't work half as bad as it did for others for me. If you listen to every dialogue very closely of course it will be strange due to the semi-random nature of it, but I think it adds to the immersion factor since two people just meet on the road by coincidence and have a chat.

Shin

Cipher
The Mass Effect Andromeda 'face is tired' thing was kinda funny. As was the crabwalk animation glitch. It was fun to see it burn.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
It's been ages since I've played it, but I remember seeing the mage/wizard (whatever they called them) spell combos and thinking that they looked like they ripped them almost whole-cloth from WoW (which itself seemed to take much inspiration from Diablo 2 and obviously Everquest). Where do you draw the line on something like that?
When Wrath of the Lich King was released (so around DA:O premiere), it still had plenty of spellcaster specs which amounted to "Press 1 on your keyboard until: your 2 goes off cooldown / your 1 crits and applies some sort of buff to your 3; otherwise keep pressing 1", with some defensive cooldowns / dispels / utility here and there which was quite situational in most raids.

I'm not aware that WoW had anything close to DAO's "Cast these three distinct elemental spells to cause a mini-meteorological phenomenon in this room that the game will acknowledge, causing massive mayhem to everyone, above and beyond just stacking three different spells". Or that mixing Sleep + Fear status effects causes a new status effect called Nightmare which does its own thing. Or the ever-popular "light the grease on fire to cause an area to burn". It made the magic system stand out a bit because it encouraged experimentation, you could learn those combos from your own findings or random notes from other mages and they made the magic look a bit more unique.

Oh sure, DA:O had cooldowns, but I wouldn't really say they directly translated to rotations.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The horrible Fallout 4 memes haven't had the staying power of the horrible Skyrim memes.

flabbyjack

Arcane
The recent Dragon Age games had an interesting narrative mechanism by which several months or years of in-game time (e.g. year 1704 to 1707) would pass between game chapters. It was interesting to see how you achieved a certain objective or acquired a title at the end of the chapter, and then jump forward in time. The passage of these chapters also affected advancement of the C&Cs, companion and NPC story-lines, and the main story-line.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The box art for Dragon's Age Origins is rather nice.

220px-Dragon_Age_Origins_cover.png

Pizzashoes

Scholar
This thread is a thinly veiled way of declaring a game is shit. People put their hearts, souls, blood, sweat and tears into these games. With that out of the way, the Dragon Age series has some good choice and consequence — within each game itself.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
This thread is a thinly veiled way of declaring a game is shit. People put their hearts, souls, blood, sweat and tears into these games.

So what? People put their hearts, souls, blood, sweat and tears into waifu pillows; that doesn't make them good or even decent. Many of the greatest games of all time were flukes ensured more by luck than effort; in fact, more effort may've lead to the developers overthinking things, making them worse. Quality has little to do with effort expended.

With that out of the way, the Dragon Age series has some good choice and consequence — within each game itself.

Choice and consequence is one key way to make a game rewarding, but it is not required for a good game (Wizardry 8 has little in the way of C&C, but it's still a superb RPG), nor does it make a bad game good; C&C is only as good as the gameplay, writing, etc. that composes the Cs in C&C.

Darkzone

Arcane
Im barely literate you peasant, nobles doesn't have to know grammar, only peasants needs that crap.
"Ego sum rex Romanus et supra grammaticam" (" I'm the roman king and stand above the grammatics ") Sigismund at the Concil of Konstanz.
"Ego, poeta Germanus, supra grammaticos sto.“ (" I'm a german poet and stand above the grammaticos.") Bertholt Brecht.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Kingdome Come has no Jayz's/50's cents running around smaking their lips, I guess thats good enough for some people to call this Oblivion leftover cum stain a great game.:lol:

vazha

Arcane
Inquisitor - overal atmoshpere. In fact its not a shit game at all, merely a good game ruined by shit combat mechanics. If only somebody was to mod that!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom