Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Say one GOOD thing about a SHIT game

mogwaimon

Magister
Final Fantasy XV had the best in-game radio stations since Vrock and Radio X from GTA.

Knights of the Old Republic had a more cohesive plotline than The Last Jedi.

Zlaja

Arcane
"I saw a mudcrab the other day" is a meme for the ages. Never got old. Unlike the lame "arrow in the knee" follow up.

SpoilVictor

Educated
DA2 - I really liked Friendship/Rivalry system. While rather artificial it was far better than DOA manipulative ass-licker simulator (where only way to get bonuses was tell exactly what they wanted to hear). Or ME style: "I strongly disagree with you Shepard and I don't like you way of doing things but I will follow you to death O Commander! My Commander!".

Also main plot - it was much welcomed change from standard Hero Journey to stop Ultimate Evil™ but rather told about whole process that lead to world changing events. But I guess kids felt lost without big red arrow pointing at Big Bad Guy.

Such a pity that almost everything else sucked big hairy balls and we will be stuck with Hero Journey to stop Ultimate Evil™ till kingdom come.

newtmonkey

Arcane
citation needed, looking it up on Youtube

the Ultima with the best soundtrack I know really was Lazarus though

I really like the music that plays in the intro (the docks scene) as well as the town theme. It's very moody and atmospheric, but still has melody. The FM synth version is really good, but the Sound Canvas rendition is quite impressive.

*Note: The music might seem better than it really is because of how awful the rest of the game is. ;)

CallMeSnek

Novice
i cant think of a single nice thing to say about Witcher

Funny, I was just thinking about posting that one.

I'll say though that one thing it did well was how it populated the city streets, if I recall correctly.

(Also the combat is not so bad if you use the infamous FCR mod on Easy/Easy, which despite the name will kick your shit).

But yeah, after playing that one, I was left wondering why the hell I bothered reading all those boring books.* I had to use like ten mods to make this game even playable. So much euro-jank; reminded me a lot of Gothic.

* Not including the first one, The Last Wish, which was actually a fair bit entertaining. They really drop off after that though.

[EDIT: Thinking now I shouldn't have been so pithy. I just want to note I'm actually rather fond of Witcher 1, and even find myself tempted to replay it. I just also recognize that it's a hilariously and infuriatingly broken mess. Also, looking back, I find myself more forgiving of the books. I wonder how much was just me reading them in a bad/uncharitable mood or something.]

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Dragon Age: Inquisition has very cool environments. They look and feel lived-in, like places with real geology and history.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gorasul: Legacy of a Dragon, while being a semi-competent Baldur's Gate clone is free from bizarre limitations of D&D 2nd edition, such as arbitrary armor and weapon limitations for certain classes.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Gorasul: Legacy of a Dragon, while being a semi-competent Baldur's Gate clone is free from bizarre limitations of D&D 2nd edition, such as arbitrary armor and weapon limitations for certain classes.

I've actually tried to get that game to run on modern OS's more than once. Shit out of luck.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I've actually tried to get that game to run on modern OS's more than once. Shit out of luck.

No luck either (on Windows 7 or 10).

I managed however to run it on my old laptop with Windows XP. Works like a charm, with an occassional CTD.

Codex Year of the Donut

Pretty much all old games run better in wine than on modern windows.
e.g., any game that requires direct3d retained mode flat out won't work on Vista or later. Windows 8 dropped 8bit and 16bit support in DWM which introduced a lot of compatibility issues with old games. etc., etc.,

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

e.g., any game that requires direct3d retained mode flat out won't work on Vista or later. Windows 8 dropped 8bit and 16bit support in DWM which introduced a lot of compatibility issues with old games. etc., etc.,

Hmm, I haven't really have had many problems so far. In fact, just tinkering with some settings and parameters often does a better job than GoG fucking up games to try to make them run (and still failing).

Only problems were the mentioned Gorasul, garbled graphics in Darkstone, and some games like Lords of Magic or Divine Divinity running super slow (possibly a problem with several processors?).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Hmm, I haven't really have had many problems so far. In fact, just tinkering with some settings and parameters often does a better job than GoG fucking up games to try to make them run (and still failing).

Only problems were the mentioned Gorasul, garbled graphics in Darkstone, and some games like Lords of Magic or Divine Divinity running super slow (possibly a problem with several processors?).

Ha! You do not know what troubles are until you try to run "Ancient secrets of Africa", an obscure German RPG about a XIX Century explorer. I tried to run it on different computers with Windows XP, 7 and 10. Finally managed to run it on a freaking tablet with Windows 8. Don't ask why it succeeded. I do not understand myself. It does not however work on older and more modern rigs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom