Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Back to the topic at hand - Rastan Saga Episode III.
You might be interested in D&D Chronicles of Mystara. It's quite short and very much on the easy side but there is no denying it was fun, especially if you have someone to play in local coop.
I'd also recommend the fan-made games like "Knights and Dragons" or "D&D Rise of the Warduke", which have a RPG-ish kind of gameplay, with classes, levels, items, world map, quests and so on:

CVlOYyNWsAMgJKi.png
CVlOY9BWsAQS-qS.png

CVlOZFjWcAIhNdj.png
CVlOY_uWUAAceF3.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Made two more PC-games collection videos. Hit the spoiler button if interested. The games I show and talk about is Hidden & Dangerous 2(+ expansion), X-com Apocalypse and Temple of Elemental Evil.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
FHZpr6.png

YM2zmB.png

watch out men we've got a rambo on our hands

jUp8GB.png

and another one

M8S8Xa.png

altho this guy can cast a single spell before getting frozen

a9ZNRg.png

!!!

2Pz5UY.png

between his talks of heresies, abominations, witches, purges and for the emprahs, makala has quite the inquisitorial demeanour

gbI4OR.png

alas, even he and his magickal minions cannot withstand half a dozen fetters of rime and strategic rusalki deep strikes

ZNNSfI.png

zing

M2YIml.png

gorath looks suspiciously :smug: for someone currently becoming possessed by alien invader demigods from outer space

KmUe3P.png

uh-oh

NI0z47.png

rip in pepperoni, gorath-san :hero:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I backed only one Kickstarter project and regretted it after release
alternative title: Holy Shit This Game is Ugly But Suck Your PC Power Like Desert Survivor Dropped In The Well
0BF238990DDB58DB0C6EA157A0250E0221E447D1

:laugh: I find amusing that main villain of the game want to catch my attention, like some stranger with free candies in the van.

E47A2AD40985BEB63096CFF1930ED43B31978BB2

I checked backers list in credits.
Did not found my name on it.

A horse of course

Finally finished the last three Core Design-developed Tomb Raider games (plus the first Crystal Dynamics title), so I'll be dumping my impressions over the next few days. Angel of Darkness in particular was an interesting experience. Anniversary and Underworld will probably take at least a month or so to play through due to work, however.

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (1999)

Core pulled out all the stops for what - according to some in the studio - was intended to be Lara's final outing. Studio veterans such as Tom Scutt and Phil Chapman have commented that they consider Revelations a true sequel to the original Tomb Raider, as opposed to a series of episodes highlighting some of Lara's peripheral adventures. Lighting, texture and model quality took a noticable leap over the earlier titles (just in time for the nightmare-inducing teenage Lara), whilst controls seem to have been tightened up (though not enough for anyone who never made peace with the originals'). The transition between voice actress Judith Gibbins and newcomer Jonell Elliot is smooth enough, and it's likely most players wouldn't have noticed the difference. Peter Connelly, who took over from composer Nathan McCree, inserts a faint note of tragedy into the main theme, though his overall work on this and the following two games is not as memorable as some of McCree's better tunes from the first three, in my opinion. Revelations is the first Tomb Raider to emphasize the central narrative throughout, and the first to focus on a single culture rather than a variety of international locations. The vast majority of the game is set in Egypt over the course of a single day, with Lara hunting down her old mentor and nemesis Werner Von Croy (who was apparently the original hero of Tomb Raider 1 prior to the decision to use a female protagonist) and attempting to foil the evil god Set.

A new gameplay addition is the use of actual puzzles as obstacles to progression - not simply skipping across the map to unlock doors or find missing items, but everything from a water labyrinth to a maths quiz. Solving these can require cross-referencing different parts of one or more maps, uncovering hidden instructions via ancient codes, carefully observing the environment or simply using some basic common sense. In fact, whilst combat is frequent, there aren't really any boss encounters to speak of, as such enemies are typically dealt with via other means. As in Tomb Raider 3, significant backtracking is necessary - in some cases covering multiple maps, probably most notoriously in the final chapter and that fucking movable block that exists nowhere else in the game except that specific point and betrays no sign of actually being an interactive part of the level - although in some cases the player is merely dragged back and forth across maps according to which puzzle they finished last. The Last Revelation is roughly the same length as the earlier games, though maps vary significantly in size - a short jeep chase connecting two early chapters and three or four levels could take approximately 20 minutes, whereas a single large tomb might drain 45 minutes. In terms of difficulty, most sections are somewhat more lenient than Tomb Raider 2 or 3, though there are a few nasty trap sections. Certainly less frustrating than Tomb Raider 3, but perhaps the most lacking in charm and environmental appeal of all the Core Design titles. Still, I suspect fans of the aesthetics and exploration of the first game would particularly enjoy The Last Revelation.

Despite the wishes of some at Core Design - who have commented that the endless crunch development of 1996-1999 literally ruined their lives at the time - Lara would live on and the studio would continue to produce Tomb Raider titles until the mid-00's. As one portion of the studio began work on a brand new approach to the series in the form of what would become The Angel of Darkness, another group used The Last Revelation as a basis for developing Tomb Raider Chronicles, as a bridge between the PS1 games and the next generation.

f7nvl51.jpg
rZiKdA4.jpg
KMnPNcm.jpg
46O3ymt.jpg
5a2Y5xP.jpg
DGfQ18a.jpg
CXVsPrq.jpg
75vgDRK.jpg
mrE54po.jpg
YbLjKo8.jpg
9vDcIiP.jpg
k8TJkqg.jpg
kTKeqTA.jpg
gMTHfhh.jpg
95kInfx.jpg
A7ab4ke.jpg
BD1i5sT.jpg
4tavZpH.jpg
GM9fwJ2.jpg
GOMd7Qd.jpg
imWz3PN.jpg
KiudIh0.jpg
wdTaIEa.jpg
MS8Oj02.jpg
0y27jBB.jpg
CteawPH.jpg
8XLWc7W.jpg
NsXxkSx.jpg
Br8Ipg4.jpg
V2NisA5.jpg
WRJc857.jpg
4alR75b.jpg
MHzmgsX.jpg
J8kA3vQ.jpg
TWPIhz0.jpg
viPndGg.jpg
8jFw8iJ.jpg
GiKhfkw.jpg
KDyroH6.jpg
uI9eQKq.jpg
svEuSLc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sullynathan

Arcane
Anniversary is the same game as the first with the inclusion of new things from Legend like qte's in some cutscenes, a few more checkpoints, same combat with free aim or lock on(still shit), and this thing where when you grab on certain ledges, lara can fall but you have to press a button again to stabilize her.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom