Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
ffxbSox.png

cYogVtY.png

YpvWP36.png

Oofdo2y.png

z6MjNrZ.jpg

qEbRjLM.png

Citizen

8M1V0q.png

The harvester mechanic is not right. They just work as a simple resource tile, providing money every turn. You do not feel the pain of losing a harvester full of spice. Also too much plants. Otherwise, very good.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
The only thing I can warn about, is to not play the last part from 2008. It's a horrible, unpatched mess left to rot by Atari. I've tried the localized version where new Carnby is shouting like a maniac "Kurwa! What is happening here! ". At these moment I felt connection with him, watching and interacting with this mess.
I remember betting that I could beat it without getting locked up in a mental institution and even managing to do it. There were interesting ideas within the game... frankly, it could be a very unique game if the devs had more time/money/talent/QA/???.

Illumination, on the other hand, looked like shit and I didn't even bother to try it.

Beastro

Arcane
working my way through armored core 2

I got outta consoles with the PSX and never got around to trying any PS2 emulators, but AC2 I've always wanted to try.

How does it stand against the originals?

The harvester mechanic is not right. They just work as a simple resource tile, providing money every turn. You do not feel the pain of losing a harvester full of spice. Also too much plants. Otherwise, very good.

Dune's setting is made for an RTS. Would be ideal if one could be made striking a balance between something like Supreme Commander (only with a very restricted unit amount) and a Paradox Grand Strategy game.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
working my way through armored core 2

I got outta consoles with the PSX and never got around to trying any PS2 emulators, but AC2 I've always wanted to try.

How does it stand against the originals?
The series gradually got faster until it reached its peak in For Answer, but AC2 is still relatively similar to the first generation games. You get an overbooster but the levels are so small that you rarely end up using it. Missions are shorter in general. The setting is less interesting since it takes place in newly made colonies on Mars, you don't get much of those apocalyptic industrial areas of the original. Worth playing though if you have interest in the series.

For reference, I'm currently replaying BG1 (very slowly) at its original aspect ratio with just the fixpack, here's what the original looks like:
baldr000wrqx0.jpg

What exactly does "enhanced" mean in Beamdog's dictionary, I wonder?

Citizen

That BGEE screen reminds me of stardock's Elemental. Ugly as sin, blurry, thick outlines and atrocious hit point bars.

I think it takes talent to make old pretty looking games look like garbage and make money out of it.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Baldur's Gate games never looked good in the first place, to be honest. So not like they defiled sacred ground.

BG has nothing that can compare to the beautiful backgrounds and portraits in Icewind Dale.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Man, this looks... not good. BG1&2 EE were on steam sale recently and I considered buying them. Seems like I dodged a bullet there.
To be fair, you can disable the outline. Here's a comparison of the exact same area:

K4kAe1f.png

lUXgv4P.jpg

The original is a lot crisper and cohesive. What bothers me is how fugly and amateuristic the UI looks:

6v5nHl7.jpg

Look at that shit, it was clearly cut & copied on Photoshop, the gap between icons has a different size, some icon borders were cut more than others.... it's like they made a quick mock-up and never bothered to actually do the real UI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom