Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
5b5e082faacd5.png

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What follows is an excerpt from The Romantic Misadventures of Hank J. Gateway-Protag, abridged (Dahlgren, Verdu. 1993):
Day 3: Hank finds himself stranded on a derelict alien spaceship. All in a day's work. To his surprise, he encounters a young woman, slumped against a wall in the cargo bay. She appears to be in poor condition.
Hank's ma didn't raise no fool; he knows what it means to be stranded in deep space -- he's outside the jurisdiction of Earth law! He promptly slips the woman a roofie and gets to it.
2wq9zly.jpg

Unfortunately, Hank is cockblocked by the game designers, who throw a big fat "But thou must!" in his face. Hank is unperturbed. There will be other opportunities.

Day 8: For reasons completely unrelated to his relentless romantic advances toward the sole other inhabitant of the alien spaceship, Hank finds himself in an escape pod bound for a barren ice planet. Upon his arrival, he encounters these... things.
Hank shrugs, for he knows that beggars can't be choosers. Inorganic crystalline living spinal cords? Don't mind if I do!
2dlptax.jpg

Hank is heartened by the lack of resistance, but his experience reminds him just a little too much of his frequent bouts with tasers back home, so he lays off.

Day 16: After weeks of duress, Hank has managed to do what no human has ever done before -- he has located the homeworld of the fabled Heechee, the galaxy's most highly advanced civilization!
Hank is less concerned with this than he is with the fact that they all look vaguely humanoid. Score!
2n01toi.jpg

Disoriented, drenched in saliva, his nose raw and painful, Hank is positively ecstatic. A species of people who reciprocate when he accosts them at random in the middle of the street? He's had dreams about this!

Day 19: Having satiated his desires for casual hook-ups, Hank decides to take things in a more personal direction.
30naipg.jpg

Playing hard to get, huh? Receptionists, receptionists never change.

Day 21: Memories of bedding gullible, rosy-faced Catholic maidens haunting his dreams at night, Hank is compelled to try his luck with someone a little more... spiritual.
a2eqt3.jpg

Ah, the chaste, how Hank pities them. He knows in his heart that God celebrates all earthly pleasures.

Day 29: Once again, through no fault of his own, Hank finds himself drifting through the eternal void, aboard the very same starship where his journey began.
But this time, Hank has come prepared. It just so happens that the Heeche possessed the technology to render a person invisible, and Hank didn't have to be asked twice -- indeed, he's not quite sure he was ever asked at all.
Laughing softly to himself as he considers the impotence with which lesser minds would make use of such a device, he creeps up on an unsuspecting Space Terrorist.

33xg16p.jpg

As he slinks back into the shadows, Hank savours the lingering taste of terrorist aftershave, and the thoughts of the months to come...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I tried the multitextures trick, but I can't see any effect using Direct3D9 or OpenGL.
RTNP: Ultimate Edition, or the texture packs it uses, supports only those two renderers. The game intro looks quite a bit better with regular Direct3d, but then it can't handle the improved textures for creatures and crashes:
"Encountered oversize texture without sufficient mimaps"

I tried using Glide and dgVoodoo, but that turned the game into a slideshow.
So I will play RTNP: Ultimate Edition with OpenGL and suffer some sub-optimal graphics, and then switch to Direct3D for other UT mods I may play.
It's strange that disabling multitextures shouldn't change anything in those renderers. Perhaps it's something about that mod. I don't know if it's compatible with the OldUnreal patch, but perhaps the rendersrs included there would change something. There was this media pack with the updated renderers that didn't require installing the patch: https://www.oldunreal.com/specialpatches.html

As for dgVoodoo, it works fine with the unofficial DirectX8 renderer included with the OldUnreal patch if you wish to use S3TC textures. The older renderers won't work with them.

I couldn't make those OldUnreal patch files to work. Are you sure they work with UT?
Those from the media pack worked, but poorly.

I found out the game was too easy, so I decided to uninistall and reinstall the whole thing again, and start over, and unless I'm imagining thing the game looks better now. At least it's good enough for me.
I'm more worried about the sound that keeps breaking.

7iXeFGr.jpg

schru

Arcane
I couldn't make those OldUnreal patch files to work. Are you sure they work with UT?
Those from the media pack worked, but poorly.

I found out the game was too easy, so I decided to uninistall and reinstall the whole thing again, and start over, and unless I'm imagining thing the game looks better now. At least it's good enough for me.
I'm more worried about the sound that keeps breaking.
Yes, sorry, I was focusing on its being Return to Na Pali all the time and just forgot that you're running it on top of the Tournament. That screenshot indeed looks like everything is fine now. Here is a media patch from OldUnreal that contains video and audio renderers for UT: https://www.oldunreal.com/utpatches.html There's also this web site, probably with the same OpenGL renderer, but it might have a newer version: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

If you don't want to try these and just wish to fix the sound at this point, check which audio renderer your game is using and look at what it has enabled. In Advanced Options, first check Drivers, Audio Device to see which one you're using. Then check that renderer for anything that might be wrong, perhaps something with surround or hardware sound. Galaxy Audio can still be fully functional, by the way, if one applies Creative's ALchemy to it.

Beastro

Arcane
What follows is an excerpt from The Romantic Misadventures of Hank J. Gateway-Protag, abridged (Dahlgren, Verdu. 1993):
Day 3: Hank finds himself stranded on a derelict alien spaceship. All in a day's work. To his surprise, he encounters a young woman, slumped against a wall in the cargo bay. She appears to be in poor condition.
Hank's ma didn't raise no fool; he knows what it means to be stranded in deep space -- he's outside the jurisdiction of Earth law! He promptly slips the woman a roofie and gets to it.
2wq9zly.jpg

Unfortunately, Hank is cockblocked by the game designers, who throw a big fat "But thou must!" in his face. Hank is unperturbed. There will be other opportunities.

Day 8: For reasons completely unrelated to his relentless romantic advances toward the sole other inhabitant of the alien spaceship, Hank finds himself in an escape pod bound for a barren ice planet. Upon his arrival, he encounters these... things.
Hank shrugs, for he knows that beggars can't be choosers. Inorganic crystalline living spinal cords? Don't mind if I do!
2dlptax.jpg

Hank is heartened by the lack of resistance, but his experience reminds him just a little too much of his frequent bouts with tasers back home, so he lays off.

Day 16: After weeks of duress, Hank has managed to do what no human has ever done before -- he has located the homeworld of the fabled Heechee, the galaxy's most highly advanced civilization!
Hank is less concerned with this than he is with the fact that they all look vaguely humanoid. Score!
2n01toi.jpg

Disoriented, drenched in saliva, his nose raw and painful, Hank is positively ecstatic. A species of people who reciprocate when he accosts them at random in the middle of the street? He's had dreams about this!

Day 19: Having satiated his desires for casual hook-ups, Hank decides to take things in a more personal direction.
30naipg.jpg

Playing hard to get, huh? Receptionists, receptionists never change.

Day 21: Memories of bedding gullible, rosy-faced Catholic maidens haunting his dreams at night, Hank is compelled to try his luck with someone a little more... spiritual.
a2eqt3.jpg

Ah, the chaste, how Hank pities them. He knows in his heart that God celebrates all earthly pleasures.

Day 29: Once again, through no fault of his own, Hank finds himself drifting through the eternal void, aboard the very same starship where his journey began.
But this time, Hank has come prepared. It just so happens that the Heeche possessed the technology to render a person invisible, and Hank didn't have to be asked twice -- indeed, he's not quite sure he was ever asked at all.
Laughing softly to himself as he considers the impotence with which lesser minds would make use of such a device, he creeps up on an unsuspecting Space Terrorist.

33xg16p.jpg

As he slinks back into the shadows, Hank savours the lingering taste of terrorist aftershave, and the thoughts of the months to come...

What game is this again?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Half Life : Point of View.

One of the most known modifications for HL, where we revisit Black Mesa complex plus some locations from Opposing Forces. It would be also a good idea to play Azure Sheep before, since there are also some levels from this another good fan expansion. It takes some time to get use to attack marines while being
Vortigaunt, but the level design helps a lot here to keep the odds fair and I don't remember any choke points which tells us, that there was a lot of testing involved during the development. There is also a journal, which tells us of our progress through the whole story. Without any nostalgia glasses being worn, I think PoV still holds well.

20170916111319_1c2dh6.jpg

20170916111352_1wuc69.jpg

20170916111734_1qld0m.jpg

20170916113531_1kfe1j.jpg

20170916114946_1xacsv.jpg

20170916115617_1hgi0r.jpg

20170916120053_1sdeqk.jpg

20170916121026_10mcri.jpg

20170916123217_1phip7.jpg

20170916124314_1q9dy1.jpg

20170916124753_17vc0d.jpg

20170916125451_16ieq8.jpg

20170916130201_1ljdvz.jpg

20170916130409_16wd2d.jpg

20170916130732_15rep6.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Still enjoying RTNP: Ultimate Edition.

Things really heated up in Velora Temple when I met some of those cute little goblin dudes with new toys.
ePWdCqM.png

pDolwgb.jpg

Most intense firefight in the game so far.
:shredder:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hello, I'd like know what game that is in those pictures?

Why couldn't everyone start putting the titles of the games they post screenshots from in their posts so others wouldn't be asking such questions again and again?

It's one of the running gags of the thread: Don't name the game. I've asked the very same thing you have, and it was like talking to a wall.

Strangely enough you can ask nicely here about specific games, and someone will give you the answer.

Ivan

Arcane
Chasm a kickstarter I backed YEARS ago finally came out. Took me a dozen hours or so beat it on hard. It's a humble little Igavania with very strong enemy design/variety, but uninspired itemization and level design. Challenge is right on the money, played it on Hard and had good time.

All in all a charming, if unoriginal, entry in the genre.
21633C948AA81CD6F3052F0FA1049091D41508F7

480B931C28EDDA53C5B908F908BCF7228429A2B2

6FF97CCB8B289C4AEFE4DB6FA5E8ADAA7A583052

88DFDEE90D66CE989AD13311AC5645D0B78322D9

Endemic

Arcane
QP2W31h.png

Pretty good level.

25eF9lu.png

Enemy summoners are very annoying; they each spawn a trio of monsters every turn. As you can see, this can lead to the map being carpeted in gargoyles/undead/ogres etc very quickly. I'm keeping clear of the boss in the middle for now, he has a nasty AoE spell with a 5-tile range.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom