Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Don Peste

Arcane
Trauma Center PS1 Ed (Chaos Break)
yXeJRLJ.png

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
TNT Evilution

WMEpat8.png

mTZacW0.png

This starts out promising. I have just one problem with this episode.

eOtwJvS.png

Chaingunners! I hated them in DOOM II already. But there they were just priority targets that would punish you for missing your first shot. Now I'm constantly finding myself getting sniped by them from across large open areas. Who thought that would be fun?

Yzi4EJ1.png

I could have saved a lot of time and ammo in this room.

O4zZvCi.png

They just keep coming!
:imperialscum:

dRjPYfj.png

Hey look, there's some flashing pixels in the dark. Say goodbye to my HP.
rating_prosper.png

29HG1Dw.png

xKq4Kl1.png

This triggers my anti-alias fetish.

TCRWjXF.png

0tRi4TF.png

That's quite a big chair...

zPu0AiG.png

:bounce:

urB0YA1.png

What makes these Chaingunners so frustrating is that they are often put in elevated positions. Because autoaim doesn't work long distances you have to get close, usually triggering more (hitscan) enemies around you. The dumbest shit happens when there are also a million Imps in front of you and the autoaim favors them over the Chaingunners above.

Roofr7e.png

This level broke me. :negative:
I've since learned there are some helpful secrets, like an invulnerability sphere, to get past some of the Chaingun Snipers. But they have been a noticeable trend throughout this episode, and I just don't want to see them anymore. What a shame. This had some cool levels so far.

I think I've had enough DOOM for now and would rather move on to the next game on my list.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The reasons you mentioned is precisely why I don't play Vanilla Doom anymore.

Brutal Doom at least fixed the Chaingun snipers by making them so inaccurate at long distances that you're unlikely to take any meaningful damage from them. (They'll murder you dead at close range, though.)

And that one map of TNT can go fuck itself.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The reasons you mentioned is precisely why I don't play Vanilla Doom anymore.

Brutal Doom at least fixed the Chaingun snipers by making them so inaccurate at long distances that you're unlikely to take any meaningful damage from them. (They'll murder you dead at close range, though.)

There are no chaingunners in "Vanilla Doom".

And that one map of TNT can go fuck itself.

I hate TNT in general, as well as Plutonia Experiment. They take the worst parts of Doom 2 (chaingunners, monster closets) and up them to the stratosphere without putting in anything worthwhile to offset that shit.

potatojohn

Arcane
2018-09-05-100323_3840x2160_scrot-nq8.png

Shitty 1st factorio base.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of an image host that will allow me to upload 4k pngs and not resize/reprocess them?

DraQ

Arcane
Quake IV

After finishing QII I finally decided to try the proper sequel, which was made by Raven, so I was optimistic about the outcome of their work. The beginning was a colder shower. The levels are very small and they feel like a tutorial. I was starting to feeling like with the Wolfenstein from 2009. And what do you know, after some time we can finally admire more the good gunplay, which was really subpar in Doom 3. Both games share the same Idtech version and it shows. I think it suits the industrial main tone of Strogg's and their design was nicely changed for the new audience. Their AI while not being impressive like UT bots isn't a cannon fodder like before and their are capable of actually hurting the player if he doesn't check his flanks. There are some vehicle sections as well, nothing impressive, sort of an intermission between ground sections. The plot was good enough, and the nice twist on the story made it more interesting.

I've played GOG version without any mods. The HD textures looked tempting but downloading 3 GB not knowing how the performance will be in the end, I decided to go full vanilla.

quake42018-06-0317-48u5fn3.jpg

quake42018-06-0318-136qdyx.jpg

quake42018-06-0522-29zeci1.jpg

quake42018-06-0717-22wlfev.jpg

quake42018-06-0522-5106feq.jpg

quake42018-06-0523-0363fc2.jpg

quake42018-06-0717-52dgikd.jpg

quake42018-06-0522-38sgc6q.jpg

quake42018-06-0717-54oudkq.jpg

quake42018-06-0717-57p4e36.jpg

quake42018-06-0718-58u4c78.jpg

quake42018-06-0719-25fcfxh.jpg

quake42018-06-0719-35yafkk.jpg

quake42018-06-0719-053ecgh.jpg

quake42018-06-0719-48b8cai.jpg

quake42018-06-0722-5950dbt.jpg

Looks blah.

At least Q2 had some conceptually decent environmental texturework.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Always sunny in Misthaven
MHH9gW9.png

sQ5ZD2S.png

XX6FkZA.png

NAwAcv1.png

pdfhCaC.png

kFBDRpn.png
There is a lot of hidden stuff missed in my first playthrough it's not even funny.
Now seriously - try some unarmed combat, was surprised how fun it was over whacking monster with unimpressive weapons.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Cavewars!
pFkVKWD.png

oo2yTI4.png

:prosper:I think i am getting tha hang of this prosper thing.
I also want to put this song here for some reason.

ELr8JpB.png
h8v7hWc.png
e4aUvq5.png
NLFUg3g.png
QBw21V5.png
ughyM5R.png
qnFyyU7.png
9MnvLrX.png
znzDXY7.png
dStoawL.png
Pygv4ce.png
PYplrX9.png

A simple and charming game. I should propably try choosing a denser map, having the whole cave level for yourself is not so fun as a slow moving dwarf.
It also has a nice soundtrack which i couldn't find on youtube and a rather amusing manual https://dl.myabandonware.com/f/jci/Cavewars_Manual_DOS_EN.pdf

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm starting to like small maps in SMAC more, cause it gives me more reason to pay attention in early game diplomacy and build up.
Look at this start for my UN peacekeepers - very depressing... I did bad scouting and decide to place a 2nd colony early just to exploit the monolith production bonus.

G8ew6wW.png

A short while later, I scouted north and more bad news arrive - Sister Mirriam and her Believers. We accede to all her 'trade' demands and left the negotiations table with good relations. But as soon as my skimship turned leftwards we spotted Santiago's Spartans.

vPX14QW.png

:dealwithit:

But hang on! A surprise discovery of a land route to the east of UN HQ reveals the highly prized Monsoon Jungle! WE MAKE OUR WAY TO THE PROMISE LAND!
Managed to drop 2 colony pods just before Yang's Hivers and Deidre's Gaians can lay claim upon it.

igpTFkY.png

:positive:Now I feel like I'm in a better position to win the game.

Bocian

Arcane
And yet the seams on the player models are still visible enough to keep annoying me.
They're not that bad without a zoom and in default standing animation. Enough not to immediately recognize it and associate with the mess the original game was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom