Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sega buys Amplitude (Endless Legend devs)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...on-pc-strategy-snaps-up-endless-space-creator

Sega doubles down on PC strategy, snaps up Endless Space creator
Amplitude Studios joins the roster.

Sega Europe has purchased Amplitude Studios, the developer of the Endless franchise.

Having created Endless Space and Endless Legend, the French studio is regarded as one of the leading developers in the 4X strategy genre. We're expecting the team's next game, Endless Space 2, to arrive on Steam Early Access later this year.

"Joining the SEGA family represents the culmination of five years of hard work from myself and Romain and everyone here at Amplitude Studios" said co-founder Mathieu Girard. "For the Endless series to be alongside PC franchises with such heritage as Total War and Dawn of War in the SEGA Europe stable puts our games where we feel they deserve to be."

This marks another big step into the world of strategy by Sega, which already owns both Creative Assembly and Relic Entertainment.

What a world we live in! Sega, once known for its consoles, now solidifies its position as a publisher of hardcore PC strategy games. Quite the Paradox, ey?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sega isn't even close to being the worst company that could buy you out. They do some good and some bad but on average I trust them more than many other companies. People acting dismayed are probably using Creative Assembly as a reference point without realizing that they are just shitty fucking devs which has nothing to do with Sega. Now imagine if a company like Tencent Holdings bought them out. Then we could really declare them dead.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sega isn't even close to being the worst company that could buy you out. They do some good and some bad but on average I trust them more than many other companies. People acting dismayed are probably using Creative Assembly as a reference point without realizing that they are just shitty fucking devs which has nothing to do with Sega. Now imagine if a company like Tencent Holdings bought them out. Then we could really declare them dead.

Biggest issue with Sega and CA is the aggressive DLC policy that Sega has pushed. I imagine that they will bring this to Amplitude Studios.

Martius

Liturgist
So what now? They will region lock their games so dirty Europeans wont be able to buy them?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Biggest issue with Sega and CA is the aggressive DLC policy that Sega has pushed. I imagine that they will bring this to Amplitude Studios.

First of all, can you prove that CA wouldn't have gone down the jew DLC route without Sega influences? Secondly, Amplitude already has shitty DLC. Echoes of Auriga? Lost Tales? Guardians? These are all fucking awful things to nickel and dime your customers with and it was no doubt going to get worse with Endless Space 2. However now that Sega is the parent company they'll shoulder all the blame when the inevitable "more plot in your strategy game DLC" roll in.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

First of all, can you prove that CA wouldn't have gone down the jew DLC route without Sega influences? Secondly, Amplitude already has shitty DLC. Echoes of Auriga? Lost Tales? Guardians? These are all fucking awful things to nickel and dime your customers with and it was no doubt going to get worse with Endless Space 2. However now that Sega is the parent company they'll shoulder all the blame when the inevitable "more plot in your strategy game DLC" roll in.

Mostly circumstantial evidence. The biggest thing I guess would be that Relic follows a very similar DLC strategy to CA and they are both Sega companies.

Whether CA would have gone that route themselves? I'm not sure.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Mostly circumstantial evidence. The biggest thing I guess would be that Relic follows a very similar DLC strategy to CA and they are both Sega companies.

There is no circumstantial evidence in this case. Creative Assembly was acquired by sega in 2005, a time when nickel and dime DLC was not common practice the way it is today. It's 100% sure that CA would've ended up going that route regardless of Sega, simply because everyone does it now, regardless of who owns who, or doesn't. Also, Medieval 2, arguably their best game, was published under Sega's ownership. The string of crapsack DLC did not happen until pretty much all other developers and publishers adopted it, thus, we can easly infer that it has nothing to do with Sega specifically and everything with the industry itself. As I myself just gave you an example already that Amplitude themselves are not saints either since they have released bullshit DLC themselves already and they have been independent until now. So no, I don't see how Sega has any specific kind negative influence on developers. In fact they have a positive one since they let niche series' like Yakuza flourish.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't the last DOW2 expansion already have a bunch of DLC? That was released when they were owned by THQ.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Didn't the last DOW2 expansion already have a bunch of DLC? That was released when they were owned by THQ.

2QIGKld.png

Yes, but let's abandon all reason and collectively go "muh Sega boogeyman!!"

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Meh, it sounds like Relic and CA were on the DLC train before Sega then.

In all honesty I've never had a big issue with Sega as they bring out quite a lot of PC exclusive titles.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Good news, Endless Legend will be in a future Humble Bundle. Also, Sega has never been 'aggressive' with their DLC. Most of their games (not ones developer/published prior to them acquiring the IP) only have a few.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Amplitude said:
Dear Endless Players,

Starting today, at 9 am, Amplitude will be writing a new chapter of its history. Since the beginning and our first success with Endless Space (which became a million-seller!), the market has become increasingly crowded. Even some of the biggest publishers want to make their own 4X games, and in an intense market like this, a small studio like Amplitude can get steamrolled.

What we want to do is to focus on making games; that is why we created Amplitude. But with the pressure on sales and marketing we found that more and more time was dedicated to everything else – everything that we didn’t have the size and scale to deal with. So we decided to look for the best partner we could to protect us from these distractions so that game development did not become a chore, but remained a passion.

Therefore, we have decided to join forces with SEGA – yes, that SEGA! We want the only question that keeps us up at night to be, “How do I make better games?” Partnering with SEGA will bring us to a whole new level.

Of course you could wonder, “Why Sega?” If you were to ask just Mathieu and I, we could easily answer with the words “Creative Assembly and Relic!” because we are HUGE fans of their games. The opportunity to join them is incredible for us, a real dream come true.

But the bigger reason why we wanted to join SEGA was how they treat their internal studios. Often, studios are controlled by a central department that dictates what games they should do, and how and when. But SEGA is a company that offers its support to the creators, positioning itself as a service provider, helping studios to reach their goals with only one objective in mind: Quality!

We announced the news a few days ago to the Amplitude staff, and we were amazed to see how well they received it. You know why? Because it was SEGA, and we all have a good reason to love them.

Today we will answer all your questions on our brand new Games2Gether forums. To ask us anything, about Amplitude, our games, and our decision to join SEGA, just press "Comment this blog" below that post!

Thank you so much for all your continued support. Let’s make sure, together, that the next chapter is the best one of the book!

Spacetroll and AmpliMath

Sound like a defensive move. And while the "we just want to make games and nut business" is an understandable reason to sell your studio, many examples showed that in a big company you still have to do things you don't like (office politics) and people who sold because of this don't thrive in the new environment either.

Some more comments from them here:

https://www.games2gether.com/games2gether/blog/452-amplitude-joins-the-sega-family

pippin

Endless Sonic & Knucles featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
seriously? sonic?

what about something that could be actually good, like a Valkyria Chronicles 4X :M

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Did Endless legend sold that well to attract Sega?

I think they just gobbled them up because they seemed like interesting devs. They probably see this more as an investment of an up an up coming dev team that may become bigger in the future. Flawed gameplay aside (which seems to improve with each game they make), they have pretty talented people working for them. The artists especially.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They also might want to try out the community driven development and see if it works for them.

LizardWizard

Cipher

2QIGKld.png

Yes, but let's abandon all reason and collectively go "muh Sega boogeyman!!"

COH2's DLC is aggressively worse than even that, pay to win shit garbage. Not to mention Warhammer was Denuvo'd.

lol at white knighting SEGA of all things. If that's the hill you want to die on.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom