Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Series you're too intimidated by to try

Ivan

Arcane
Simply put, what series of games, or genre in general, do you find too incompatible with your tastes despite that genuine innate desire to try/master it?

One series I would like to get into but get way too turned off by its complexity (or shitty UI, perhaps) are Crusader Kings 2 and Europa 4 games.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Any of the disgea games, those are beyond me despite enjoying the genre
how so? disgaea 1 and d2 are fucking simplistic compared to any other disgaea, if you are intimidated by all the additional systems introduced from disgaea 2 onwards.

deuxhero

Arcane
Pretty much anything that's in Japanese that doesn't have furigana is still too mcuh for me, but I don't think that's what you wanted.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Any of the disgea games, those are beyond me despite enjoying the genre
how so? disgaea 1 and d2 are fucking simplistic compared to any other disgaea, if you are intimidated by all the additional systems introduced from disgaea 2 onwards.

I remember playing one where i had to fight my own weapons? to upgrade them. Too much japanese for me.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Missed out on a lot of popular FPS games. Never played any game of these series:
Battlefield, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein (except for original), Halo, Portal, Crysis, Arma, Team Fortress.

Might be forgetting something. Can't say I hate FPS all that much. Enjoyed Far Cry 1, 2 and 3; STALKER and it's add-ons; original Unreal Tournament; every Quake game. Painkiller and Serious Sam games were fun too, as well as old sprite shooters (Doom, Blood, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, etc).

Something's just preventing me from playing modern fancy-looking FPS.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I remember playing one where i had to fight my own weapons? to upgrade them. Too much japanese for me.
do mean going inside them, aka the item world? disgaeas version of a roguelike dungeon? that's something absolutely optional, beyond the mandatory tutorial where you are shown the ropes of how to do it.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Final Fantasy. I've only played 7 and I couldn't get into it at all. JRPGs in general, really, I don't trust Japan to make a game that doesn't involve tasteful NSFW.

The grand strategy games. They look great, but I'm yet to seriously try any of them. Played Hearts of Iron a bit, but I dropped it for something else and never returned. One of these days.

Missed out on a lot of popular FPS games. Never played any game of these series:
Battlefield, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein (except for original), Halo, Portal, Crysis, Arma, Team Fortress.

Might be forgetting something. Can't say I hate FPS all that much. Enjoyed Far Cry 1, 2 and 3; STALKER and it's add-ons; original Unreal Tournament; every Quake game. Painkiller and Serious Sam games were fun too, as well as old sprite shooters (Doom, Blood, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, etc).

Something's just preventing me from playing modern fancy-looking FPS.

I stopped playing FPS after UT04. I think my PC around the time was too shitty to handle anything beyond that and I just kinda dropped this genre completely. Few years back I played UT3 for an hour or two and I hated it.

Gord

Arcane
Wizardry, Grand Strategy stuff, Spiderweb stuff (mostly due to time investment, but they anyway don't interest me that much) and of course...

Grimoire

because I would hate to die of old age before being able to finish it

:troll:

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
I've had Blackguards sitting in my Steam library for, like, six months now and I haven't even installed it.

After playing so many D&D-based CRPGs, I think I'm intimidated by having to learn a new system.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
RapeLay. I fear I would be influenced with the mysoginy and rape culture so much with this game, that I would travel to Japan just to rape easy-to-rape girls.

Can't get into Planescape Torment or Arcanum, attempted both 3 times and gave up. Baldur's Gate too, can't stand RTwP games.

A user named cat

Definitely the Paradox grand strategy genre. Games like Medieval Total War, Fantasy General, Jagged Alliance, Civ and Tropico were always plenty enough when I craved a strategy fix. CK2 and such look like more work than fun with incredibly steep learning curves and far too much micromanagement.

I wouldn't say I'm intimidated but I've always wanted to go through all the Gold Box games. I really tried once a couple years back; played Champions of Krynn for a few hours and did enjoy the combat. I'm not sure why I never went back to it. Fuck, I've never finished tons of DOS games including Betrayal at Krondor, Realms of the Haunting, World of Xeen and a number of adventure games. Just too many to play, not enough time and I'm not nearly into gaming as much as I used to be.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Many. For example, Total War. The battles were too repetitive for my taste. Another one is Dragon Quest, because I am the kind of person that needs to play them all in chronological order and DQ 1&2 are just a simplistic grindfest.

Also, I have only played Call of Duty and Battlefield games for 2 hours each (each series, not each game), but not because they were intimidiating, but because they are just fucking terrible. The last moder-day FPS I have enjoyed was probably Soldier of Fortune.

Distant Worlds: Universe has been sitting on my HD since June, and so far I've played just 20 minutes. I just can't face the learning curve.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I dunno about intimidated by complexity... most games are really not that complex if you just sit down and finnick with them for a bit. And by complex I mean "how much do you need to know to have fun?"

The biggest misconception people have with games like EU and CK is that they need to know how everything works to have fun. I've dumped hours into both series and I still occasionally learn something new.

Taste-wise, in terms of things being difficult to get into, I have a really hard time with the Japanese-aesthetic. And I mean purely the Japanese "look." I just can't really get into it when it comes to games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Japofag art, most certainly. I can't even pinpoint exactly why i despise it so much. I just do.

baturinsky

Arcane
Codex praise Gothics 1,2.... I cant get into Gothics

Codex praise Wizardry series... I cant get into Wizardry

My list is eerly similar. Gothic has just too unwieldy controls for me. Ditto for Dark Souls series.

In Wizradry 7 I can't get past party creation screen. I just can't make 6 or so characters without having any idea of what is good or bad options. And reading guides just makes me more confused.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom