Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Series you're too intimidated by to try

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grand Strategy Games, RTS games, Turn-Based Strategy games...

Anyone sensing a pattern? Economics and the like scare the shit out of me, I would never be a good leader. King of Dragon Pass scares the shit out of me as well.

Other than that, the only other series that applies is Wizardry. But that's less of me being intimidated by it, and more of me waiting for the summer so I can start playing through the series, otherwise my grades would go down the drain.

baturinsky

Arcane
Dwarf Fortress is actually not that hard. It's mostly just horrible UI, underneath it it's just 3D Tropico.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not sure about "intimidating" but I don't play RTS games much because they stress me the fuck out. I constantly feel rushed and like I have to manage a ton of shit as quickly as possible and it just gets my blood pressure up and I stop playing. I wish I enjoyed playing them though, because a lot of them seem pretty cool.

Destroid

Arcane
Not sure about "intimidating" but I don't play RTS games much because they stress me the fuck out. I constantly feel rushed and like I have to manage a ton of shit as quickly as possible and it just gets my blood pressure up and I stop playing. I wish I enjoyed playing them though, because a lot of them seem pretty cool.

That goes with experience, you learn to relax and not stress so much.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cannot into FPS, they somehow ruin muh immursion.

Did like Thief and STALKER though.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Modern shooters killed my interest in FPS genre.
Luckly there is Insurgency (1$ vs 2x €60 for soap opera every years) and Red Orchestra 2 that gave me hope.
Ass Creed and sandbox games, or just open world game where going to marked location and do stuff that feel like real life job. Boring.
Civ series? Sounds fun, good play for few hours (3?) and then forgot about it.

Silva

Arcane
Text-heavy games always intimidate me. Then I endure. And by the 3rd or so attempt I manage to get on it.

It was like that with PS:T, KoDP, and a lot other games. Dwarf Fortress is the only game I couldn't get in. Yet. :D

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tales Of series is really intimidating.

If I may be so bold, how exactly?

I was just kidding with "intimidating", obviously. Point is, I could never get into that series; it seems to embody the worst things about JRPGs in a particularly concentrated form. It didn't help that I didn't find the battle system enjoyable either.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I really want to play Deathlord but I know it's just going to be a slog and I don't want to learn all these Japanese stand-ins for Western classes and spells.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Dwarf Fortress obviously, and I'm way too casual to seriously attempt winning at any of the major roguelikes. I do find the more hardcore wargames a bit intimidating as well.

On that note, for people intimidated by Paradox grand strategy games, I'd strongly suggest that you give CK2 a chance. Paradox games are very different from the likes of Civ in that they're more like historical simulations rather than boardgames. And while they are complex, they have much less of an emphasis on winning - as a matter of fact, failing spectacularly can be just as fun in them, and they actually tend to become rather tedious if you win too hard. Furthermore, the games are quite enjoyable even if you don't understand wtf you're doing and just wing it half the time.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There is nothing intimidating about any game at all. I do not get you.

Although, I must admit I am not too comfortabe about the Silent Hill series, Amnesia, and the kind. This is what you get for being hyper-anxious enough already.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

I was just kidding with "intimidating", obviously. Point is, I could never get into that series; it seems to embody the worst things about JRPGs in a particularly concentrated form. It didn't help that I didn't find the battle system enjoyable either.
KJgJZ2N.png

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Oh, I feel the same. Funny thing, is that most fans of the series compare the series' story to typical anime plots. Some even go so far as to say it's like playing an anime.

So -- make of that what you will.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm not intimidated by any games or series - I just know what I like and what I don't like, not to mention which series are not worth my time.

Games that are "too Japanese" - there's something about Japanese culture that rubs me the wrong way. I don't hate it, I just don't get it. I've played some of the big JRPGs, but that's about it.

The Wizardry games. Not just some of them, all of them. Every single time I've tried, I've spent 30 minutes creating my party and 5 minutes losing it in combat.

Norfleet

It's for the best. I mean, an Empire Building game where you're actively punished for building an Empire is...kind of an own-goal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom