Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Serious Sam 4, Revolutions and Origins

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.seriouszone.com/cms/news.php?newsid=2001

Hey Serious fans! Seriously! sent Croteam's CEO, Roman Ribaric, some questions about what is going on with them and they've given us a peek into the future. Here is what he had to share: 2014 is a Serious year for gaming.

PlayStation 3 owners rejoice because Serious Sam 3: BFE for the PSN is closer than any of you think. Croteam has already submitted their request to Sony for approval of the finished product and for a worldwide release date. This is definitely coming in 2014.

Although, pretty much nothing is known about Serious Sam 4, Roman has assured Seriously! that it is planned for release late this year (Q4). And no matter what you have heard.. there won't be any cowboys or big fluffy creepers in it.

The two indie projects, Serious Sam Revolution and Serious Sam Origins, are expected to be released sometime in between the PSN release and Serious Sam 4, however, their exact timing and distribution method has yet to be determined. Definitely 2014 and definitely with a lot of fanfare.

And now for the lesser known projects:

If you are an Android user and haven't seen this article about the Tegra K1 yet, then you have a lot to look forward to. Serious Sam 3: BFE is going to hit the Android platform on any device that has the Tegra K1 (or higher) GPU in Q3-Q4 of 2014. That's right folks. A full-fledged Sam game is going mobile for the first time ever! Get excited!

Here's the biggest surprise of all: Croteam is working on a completely new IP and it is going to be awesome! If you have been following us on Facebook or Twitter then you would have seen our post on Tom Jubert's surprise announcement about the new game. Roman described it to us as a mixture between Portal and The Witness, which would make it a first-person adventure puzzle game. And according to Jubert this new game is going to have a type of humor that is very different from Serious Sam. This game is also slated for 2014 but with no specific time frame.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I dug around a little.

Serious Sam Revolution is the old SSam engine (used in FE and SE) given an overhaul and optimized for modern computers and full Steam integration. This is NOT like the SSam HD editions of FE and SE released 5 years ago, which used the new Serious Engine that was used to power SSam 3. It will include the FE and SE campaigns, plus a new campaign. If it has support for all the old mods, this will be more awesome than SSam 4.

Serious Sam Origins seems to be all the major Serious Sam games (except Next Encounter, for some reason) combined into one and made to run on the original engine.

TripJack

Hedonist
Serious Sam Revolution is the old SSam engine (used in FE and SE) given an overhaul and optimized for modern computers and full Steam integration. This is NOT like the SSam HD editions of FE and SE released 5 years ago, which used the new Serious Engine that was used to power SSam 3. It will include the FE and SE campaigns, plus a new campaign. If it has support for all the old mods, this will be more awesome than SSam 4.
how is another rerelease awesome?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Because "all the old mods" include some very fun mods that really take the game to a new level, like Parse Error and Serious Violence. SSam 3 has NO mod support. Also, the new Serious engine couldn't handle some of the gravity-defying shenanigans that the originals pulled, so this is one reason to go back old-school.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Now on Early Access:

Looks like you get it for free if you own the originals.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Hmm looks like they have no love for humble SS HD owners like me.

Was interested in giving the new campaign a try, might pick it up when it's in a 1€ bundle.

Couldn't really play SS3 because of its eye melting visuals.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I've had a quick tryout. It's the old engine with support for modern resolutions and some extra flair. The extra campaign isn't even ready yet, but considering that Serious Sam Gold came with his horrible little campaign called Dark Island (it even had furrie content that made Nestrisca go "surely we stand in the presence of magnificence") and the new campaign is called Bright Island... I wouldn't exactly cross my fingers for it.

Mod support is seemingly "upcoming".

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So Revolution is, at the current state, not really worth playing as you can just play the originals? However I am very interested in the mod support for this, as there are very few interesting mods for SS3 (like the prestigious gnaar mod, which is only cosmetic).

I am fairly optimistic that SS4 is going to be better than SS3 without having anything to base it upon except Croteam seems to listen to their fanbase.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They'll be giving it away for pennies in some future indie bundle.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Revolutions has received a large update and finally we're starting to see some new content.

2 new weapons, the Plasmathrower and the Minelayer, have been imported from the Seriously Warped! mod. They've been included in The Second Encounter in secrets, and are available to level builders.

They're also adding Survival and Deathmatch maps.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
I'm so fucking sick of Serious Sam. Why can't they make something like a Partizan game. FPS where you are one of Tito's comrades in the Balkan War. The twist on your standard WWII shooter would be that when you die, you simply switch to your second in command. Seems like the engine would be perfect for battles with hundreds or thousands of soldiers+civilians.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You mean another popamole TPP shooter with single feature that will sell it, and which one will be talked a lot by PR/marketing ?
Hahahahahno

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2015-26-09-croteam-announces-scribes-for-serious-sam-4

Developer Croteam has announced that Jonas and Verena Kyratzes will be writing the screenplay for their upcoming old school first person shooter, Serious Sam 4.

According to the developer, "As you know, we already worked with Jonas on our critically acclaimed title The Talos Principle, and now we decided to extend the scope of our relationship to our beloved Serious Sam franchise. But Jonas brought in his secret weapon in form of Verena Kyratzes, and they both started shaping the story into something really awesome (not to say “blockbuster-y”)"

Serious Sam 4 was funded in part by the Croteam Humble Bundle 2 years ago.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Screenplay? Sam series definitely known for its finer writing.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
*plays SSam4*

*encounters physics puzzle room*

*uses Cannon to solve puzzle/blow huge hole in wall*

Sam: "Now you're thinking with CANNONS!"

This is the level of writing we can expect. I farted that out in 2 minutes, I can only begin to imagine what 2 guys on paid salary can churn out.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
*plays SSam4*

*encounters physics puzzle room*

*uses Cannon to solve puzzle/blow huge hole in wall*

Sam: "Now you're thinking with CANNONS!"

This is the level of writing we can expect. I farted that out in 2 minutes, I can only begin to imagine what 2 guys on paid salary can churn out.
Those paid dudes might make it actually worse than that because overthinking.

They will probably go for retarded Michael Bay writing, but I repeat myself.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Cretin central ITT

Everyone says Talos Principle is p. neat. And story in Serious Sam is p. much impossible to fuck up because it doesn't even matter.

Ivan

Arcane
i haven't watched this but I will cum buckets if it's about the actual game and not PR bullshit

edit:
:nocountryforshitposters:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
i haven't watched this but I will cum buckets if it's about the actual game and not PR bullshit

edit:
:nocountryforshitposters:

Yeah, it's a little bit of both. They're mostly talking about how they FINALLY have the (technical) background to tackle some elements that they want in Serious Sam 4, but beyond that they have next to "jack shit" on the game itself.

What REALLY got me raging was when they said "It'll take place before Serious Sam 3" - meaning ret-con after ret-con.

Remember that joke a while back, about "If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a giant lizard that helps repair Tokyo before moonwalking into the ocean!" thing? That's where Serious Sam is heading right now. Some bizarre "we have the reincarnations!" and the next thing you'll know you're being bombarded with "nuclear missile launched!" commands!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom