Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands: A Banquet For Fools standalone expansion

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
And I thought expansion was going to add some additional content to vanilla, not to almost be entirely new game. Kickstarter said about "map extension allowing sailing on the overworld map with increased freedom of exploration". I even waited that long with playing the game to get "fuller" experience. Guess I don't have to wait longer.

Yeah, I was waiting to play both whenever the expansion comes out. Well. Hm. A surprise for sure.

Mustawd

Yeah, that was a bit disappointing for sure. But I'll go into the expansion with an open mind at least. I'm a fan of this duo.

sstacks

Arcane
And I thought expansion was going to add some additional content to vanilla, not to almost be entirely new game. Kickstarter said about "map extension allowing sailing on the overworld map with increased freedom of exploration". I even waited that long with playing the game to get "fuller" experience. Guess I don't have to wait longer.

Evidently in the expansion you sail to a group of islands, so it's both/and.

Mustawd

Let's not talk about SCL anymore...let's just forget that ever happened.

hell bovine

Arcane
OK so the Williams will be on the show today in a couple of hours talking the SitS expansion and their new game Copper Dreams.

I'm dropping the news segment today to give them more time so they will get most of the show.

I'll try to monitor the forum for questions and comments but remember this is live radio and I have my hands full, can't guarantee I will get them. You can always call in at 501-823-0965 and ask or comment yourself, that's one of the reasons I do live talk radio so it can be interactive :)

Saturday, February 27th @ 1:05 PM Central
Little Rock: 96.5 FM
Online: http://965fmtheanswer.com/ + TuneIn & iHeartRadio apps

Live stream link: http://saleminteractivemedia.com/ListenLive/player/KHTEFM

I look forward to the unique and heady blend of Codex enthusiasm and devastation.
Thanks so much for this! :)

Kalasanty11

Learned
Evidently in the expansion you sail to a group of islands, so it's both/and.
I've meant that I expected expansion to be smoothly integrated into vanilla. Same engine, mechanics, you can visit islands (or locations from vanilla by sea travel) whenever you want and than leave them as you please. Something in the vein of Tales of the Swordcoast. I'm not saying that the change is bad, since we don't know almost anything yet... just that I'm little surprised by the scale of changes. Hell, even introducing tb combat and 3D! (Although I usually prefer well made 2D).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
By the way, their game mechanic sounds like 7,62 High Calibre/Hard Life? Still confused on how this differs from RTwP tactical games like Commandos and some of the UFO:Aftermath/UFO:Aftershock games.

About Copper Dreams Sensuki mentioned Grandia (whose combat system is awesome), assuming that SiTS'expansion use the same system, don't worry, it's very different from the RTwP games I've played on PC and much closer to a turn-based game.

The difference with many turn-based games is that every action takes some time to resolve instead of resolving immediately.
This has some cool consequences, for example you often have the opportunity to interrupt (and cancel) a very powerful and long charging spell before the enemy has finished to cast it.

I think it's really different from the RTwP games I've played (I haven't played 7,62 High Calibre) : in Grandia when a character has finished its action, I have to choose its next action, that's cool and that's generally (always?) called Turn-based ;
that has absolutely nothing to do with Baldur's Gate or Aarklash Legacy which are RTS games that I can pause, which is different and worse in my opinion (but can still have its own merit).

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Sstacks after shilling for SCL and go to the dark side, you bring balance to the force by shilling for the right games.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
By the way, their game mechanic sounds like 7,62 High Calibre/Hard Life? Still confused on how this differs from RTwP tactical games like Commandos and some of the UFO:Aftermath/UFO:Aftershock games.

About Copper Dreams Sensuki mentioned Grandia (whose combat system is awesome), assuming that SiTS'expansion use the same system, don't worry, it's very different from the RTwP games I've played on PC and much closer to a turn-based game.

The difference with many turn-based games is that every action takes some time to resolve instead of resolving immediately.
This has some cool consequences, for example you often have the opportunity to interrupt (and cancel) a very powerful and long charging spell before the enemy has finished to cast it.

I think it's really different from the RTwP games I've played (I haven't played 7,62 High Calibre) : in Grandia when a character has finished its action, I have to choose its next action, that's cool and that's generally (always?) called Turn-based ;
that has absolutely nothing to do with Baldur's Gate or Aarklash Legacy which are RTS games that I can pause, which is different and worse in my opinion (but can still have its own merit).

Umm how exactly is this different from IE games with autopause enabled then? Seems to me like the only differences are that here you might (never played the Grandias) have to choose an action (in the IE games you can just forget about a wizard that ran out of spells, maybe make him invisible first), that you might have to reselect the same boring standard attack for your fighter again and again instead of just selecting it once at the start of battle and that you can't move your chars during battle (typical for JRPG battle systems). And that you can't interrupt the actions of your chars after choosing them...
So actually that sounds worse than IE. Okay, the not being able to move your chars part sounds better, but only because IE games pathfinding is such a clusterfuck.

Last edited:

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Thanks again for having us on sstacks , always wonderful to chat with you! An ad on your show reminded me the new Ravenloft module is coming out soon, we need to check that out. We just got the Mouse Guard box set in the mail, trying to make time for that as well, charming as ever.

Grandia is a good reference point,the system is completely turn based. The main difference from Grandia, at least the one I played, is there is no theatre-battlefield, combat takes place in the same mode as exploration to utilize the environment. Justin and Sue cameo pending.

Our next blog post is detailing where combat is at now in more detail, but it generally works as:

Wait time to take a turn is 6 seconds on the combat bar.

Combat starts with a player/enemy attack or interaction, relevant characters roll for initiative to land somewhere from the 0-5 second mark on the Wait timeline.

When a player character lands on the turn bar combat pauses, they can choose an action, and then that executes over time depending on how long it takes. If there is a challenge roll against a target or interaction that happens at the end, which we currently have 3 different feedback levels for you can toggle between whenever:

-None: plays it out without the display, going right to game feed
-Cinematic: brief pause to show the player rolls and CR
-Input: pause to show the player rolls and CR that you can click through to continue

The CR are convenient to see right in the game for reference, but are also displayed in the game feed. If there's a large battle for instance you can choose None and combat just stops on your character turns. After the action is complete, the character starts back at the 0 second mark in the wait timeline and begins descending again.

Actions will be another big part of that blog post, they range from environmental interactions to utilizing an item in various ways. Weapons have different kinds of attacks from unique ones you can train for from trainers at rests, to the universal throw, if you run out of ammunition as a last ditch effort. For example Suppressing fire, which is an option on most firearms, rolls to delay a cone worth of targets on the timeline with a negative hit chance mod to actually hit, which can bide time for your other teammates to get to their turns.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So the main game won't receive any new updates? I'll probably still wait for the addon to do a second playthrough, just to get the complete experience.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently, this has been slightly renamed to "A Banquet for Fools".

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If you wanted to check out how the system we're using for the Serpent expansion is shaping up, our cyber-espionage game Copper Dreams is the start of it!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/335120/announcements/detail/611739751816025120

We strive to keep our [Copper Dreams] backers informed if anything changes and when we finally set a release date, and while we do have a current internal release timeline set, the Kickstarter goals and testing factors might alter that. We’d like to release the maiden voyage of the Burning Candle ruleset in action as bug-free as possible and take our time cleaning it up, so at this time we’re not committing to a release date.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/description

I've been wondering about these comments for a while, but been unable to find clear info on it - does this mean that the SitS expansion will be released after Copper Dreams?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you wanted to check out how the system we're using for the Serpent expansion is shaping up, our cyber-espionage game Copper Dreams is the start of it!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/335120/announcements/detail/611739751816025120

We strive to keep our [Copper Dreams] backers informed if anything changes and when we finally set a release date, and while we do have a current internal release timeline set, the Kickstarter goals and testing factors might alter that. We’d like to release the maiden voyage of the Burning Candle ruleset in action as bug-free as possible and take our time cleaning it up, so at this time we’re not committing to a release date.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/description

I've been wondering about these comments for a while, but been unable to find clear info on it - does this mean that the SitS expansion will be released after Copper Dreams?

Yes, I believe so. They'd committed to a release date for Copper Dreams, but in one of their recent interviews, refused to do so for Fool's Banquet, implying that it was further off.

It's a sequel. I don't understand why they're clinging to this stand-alone expansion idea. Give a free copy to SitS Kickstarter backers, sure, but otherwise why not sell it as a new game?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Yeah, not really an expansion, more like a completely new game.
I don't care if it's 3D and has verticality but new ruleset sounds good. The old one was a bit of a mess. And TB? Yes, please! But what do they mean with "timed resolution"? An Active Time Battle system like in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasies? I hope not.

Read Sensuki posts in the Copper Dreams thread for an explanation.
Can you please link me?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, not really an expansion, more like a completely new game.
I don't care if it's 3D and has verticality but new ruleset sounds good. The old one was a bit of a mess. And TB? Yes, please! But what do they mean with "timed resolution"? An Active Time Battle system like in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasies? I hope not.

Read Sensuki posts in the Copper Dreams thread for an explanation.
Can you please link me?

Wut. You don't need that anymore, just look at the latest Kickstarter update.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's a sequel. I don't understand why they're clinging to this stand-alone expansion idea. Give a free copy to SitS Kickstarter backers, sure, but otherwise why not sell it as a new game?

I think they always understood "free" to mean "free for everybody who owns SitS", and they won't back down on that promise. I'm guessing they're delaying BoF in the hopes that Copper Dreams might expand their user base and lure more people towards the expansion - otherwise it seems like a huge waste of time to create an entirely new Vol campaign in a new engine on a shoestring budget for virtually no expected revenue.

zeitgeist

Magister
K8IwJ2t.jpg

Is this supposed to be the expansion that was funded by the original Kickstarter backers as shown in the image or am I misunderstanding things and this has already been done as part of the base game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom